Nutrition for a toddler!

Options
I need help and I have no idea where else to go to ask! I have a 3 year old boy who I am trying to get to eat proper nutrition. He loves fruit and veg so we are all good there but I am struggling to get protein in him. He is allergic to eggs and the only meat he will entertain is sausages. He will eat greek yoghurt but not alot as I think he finds it too rich.

Can anyone suggest a way to get him to eat some protein - he always seems to be hungry and I want him to feel full and satisfied after a meal.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets?
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about childhood nutrition, but some ideas for meat and egg-free protein that may be kid-friendly:
    Cheese, refried beans, hummus, tofu scramble, protein shakes, cream of chicken or similar soups where the meat is blended, veggie burgers, quinoa, nut or seed butters, edamame in the pod, soy milk

Or try 'milkshakes' with frozen strawberries and banana, greek yogurt, and any protein additives you like (hemp seeds, peanutbutter/pb2, chocolate protein powder)?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Milk, cheese, nut butters and beans are good choices. I was worried about protein for my 3, now 4 year old, but after I read about their needs for they day, I realized that she's meeting her protein needs by drinking her milk every day. They only need 1 g protein per kg body weight, which makes it less than 1/2 g protein per pound of body weight. There's 8 grams of protein in 1 C milk, so for my DD, her needs are met for the day by having 2 C of milk. She has more protein than this, but when you realize the actual needs, it's not hard to meet.

If he always seems hungry, let him eat, as long as he's hungry for real food and not just wanting a sweet treat. Make sure he's getting plenty of fat, too. My DD sounds very much like your son - loves the fruits and veggies and likes sausage but very little other meat. She's not allergic to eggs, so she has those regularly, but if she's not in to the main dish I'm serving, I usually let her have an ounce or two of cheese or some nuts in place of the meat. This gives her protein and fat which helps satiate her.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't big on meat either. He'll do sausage and a few bites of chicken and that's about it. He loves firm tofu cut up in little cubes and fried, anything with nut butter on it, cheese and milk. Whole grains also have some protein in them.

Kids go through picky stages, our job is to keep offering all the healthy stuff (and to try not to go crazy when they spit it out).

I'd just keep putting bits of whatever meat you're having on his plate along with a bit of something you know he'll usually eat.
    This article looks like it has some good general toddler feeding tips.
    http://m.kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/staying_fit/toddler_meals.html
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For my little one, I make mini meatballs and burgers (I usually do chicken or turkey), I also do quesadillas with shredded chicken or hummus, I usually add pureed legumes into soups and pasta sauces too. Also maybe try mixing the Greek yogurt in with the regular yogurt so it's not so thick? Nut butters, full dairy, a bit of coconut oil to oatmeal are ways we add more fats in.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses. What I'll do is analyse his food intake and see if he's getting enough protein and calories
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if they help grow it, shop for it, make it they will eat it. I know that takes extra time and mess. But might be worth a try.

By the way - GOOD ON YOU! for really caring about what he is eating and seeking out information. Yay mom!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend's three year old looooves Colby Jack cheese. Eats it by the slice (as I do). Try that. Also, refried beans are a great food for g-i health. Put those two together.....mmmmm.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My not quite 3 year old loves black beans, well any kind of beans really. Cheese, cheddar is her favorite.

Oh I add chia seeds to fruit and greek yogurt smoothies and sometimes freeze the leftover smoothie in popscicle molds. Its not much, but a figure every little bit helps.

Does he drink cows milk? If so there is some protein there.

My pediatrician told me to look at a toddler's nutrition a week at a time rather than day to day when I was stressing about a similar issue with my picky older child at about the same age.
  • HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My toddler really doesn't like meats much either, but she will eat beans, eggs (I know that doesn't help you) and chicken nuggets. She also likes kosher hot dogs. I also give her little cubes of cheese during breakfast or her snack. Cows milk offers plenty of protein. Sometimes she likes it when I make her a half sandwich: 1 slice whole grain bread, 1 tbsp pb and a little jelly. Just keep offering a variety of foods and it will be okay.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My kids...4&6....are polar opposites of pickiness. My older boy eats only meat and cereal. My younger daughter is a fruit or macncheese girl. Their tastes have evolved, sometimes daily, since they were around 1.5 years old though. Don't worry about it too much. Just give them a multivitamin and limit the amount of garbage that they eat. Just my opinion. Good luck.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I recently found bear naked protein granola. It's 10g protein per serving. Yummy!
  • supaflyjoy
    supaflyjoy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine loves yum bowls. Wild rice/quinoa topped with beans, cheese, olives and avocado. I also make quinoa pancakes, quinoa cheesy cakes (on the griddle) and homemade protein bars.