Wanted: Encouragement and a sense of humor

Options
I have done weight loss message boards before and loved hearing about others' successes and sharing in their happy life moments. I got really discouraged real fast when I posted my honest thoughts and confessed my internal struggle with food cravings, only to be shut down and snarked at. I would love a few friends to cheer on who will cheer me back, and who view this fitness journey in a compassionate and balanced way. I will laugh at myself and my love for peanut butter, and celebrate my small victories like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or drinking water with my dinner instead of diet coke. I will occasionally indulge in ice cream because I am human and ice cream is darn yummy! I will also try to log my food and exercise and stay more on track than off. If you have a fun sense of humor and want to support one another in our often imperfect fitness journeys -- add me!!

Replies

• Drayface15
    Drayface15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I have learned through that experience the kind of support I need and the kind that wasn't helpful to me. So I'm taking a leap of faith and asking for what I want. :smiley:
  • cinner274
    cinner274 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love your honesty! Never apologize for being you! I strongly believe Peanut butter and ice cream rock & have even been known to eat them together ;-)
  • Drayface15
    Options
    Me too!! :p Good stuff, huh?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good thing you didn't mention Nutella. MFPers can talk for days about their love of Nutella. Ha! Welcome, and I hope you find lots of encouragement and laughter here!
    welcome2.gif
  • MitchTwitchita
    MitchTwitchita Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, cravings for peanut butter and ice cream a far better than cravings for methamphetamine and heroin ;)
  • Ssotigger
    Ssotigger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that when I am trying to be honest about my struggles with food I get the "trolls" that tell me... just don't eat it... Have willpower... Blah blah blah(they say other stuff but I have tuned them out by the time they get to the third thing)... I can laugh at myself (most of the time) love being an encouraging person... I am new to this so It might take me a bit to get back to you. Thanks for being honest... Love it
  • printdoc2006
    printdoc2006 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on your journey. I think you'll find a larger majority of people can be very helpful, supporting and even occasionally witty. However, unfortunately you'll always find a few less than polite along the way. Feed off the encouragement ignore the BS.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree, try and ignore the trolls. They'll always be around to offer unhelpful advice. Most of us are much more encouraging though. I reckon you're on the right track in not taking yourself super seriously and allowing for the ice cream and peanut butter indulgences along the way. Feel free to add me to your cheer squad. Encouraging others is one of my favourite things to do.
  • Drayface15
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!! Glad I put my request out there. Thanks for the friend requests so far as well.
  • tam2249
    tam2249 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just added you hun, hopefully we can cheer each other on :)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hey, cravings for peanut butter and ice cream a far better than cravings for methamphetamine and heroin ;)

That's a bloody good point!
  • Drayface15
    Options
    :p agreed!!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Best of luck on your journey. I think you'll find a larger majority of people can be very helpful, supporting and even occasionally witty. However, unfortunately you'll always find a few less than polite along the way. Feed off the encouragement ignore the BS.

This is truth. Be the best you possible and ignore the doubters and naysayers. We're all in this together!

And yeah, peanut butter and ice cream rocks!!!
  • geriwithag
    geriwithag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been skinny, heavy and in-between- what's helped me stay level is my ability to laugh and stay positive. A few years ago after getting laid off from an amazing job I gained a lot of weight and quickly. Took a while but I eventually lost most of it. Some has come back- ahh the joys of my late 20's !!

My commute takes up 4 hours of the day- so exercise is a challenge- just finding the time to do it. I am hopeful that using this tool can help me make better eating choices.

What's worked for me in the past and what I am doing now is concentrating on a mini goal. Honestly, when you lose those first 5 pounds it's a mixed bag- but as you continue to hit your mini goals you won't want to look back.

Best of luck- deciding you want to make a positive change is a big deal. Don't let anyone get in your way.