Too shy to run?.

Options
Hello!. Recently i started watching what ive been eating and ive been thinking about going for runs. The only problem is im too shy or nervous to go alone. None of my friends are interested in running and my sister isnt big on running either. I know this may seem a little lame but i just get so anxious to run by myself i feel like everyone is judging and also i cant run for a great distance only about 400 meters and im already tired. Any tips to help break out of this problem?.

Replies

• dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I was like that as well. Always afraid that people would judge me for my poor running skills. Now I don't give a thing. I'm gong out there, I now I'm not the fittest but I'm working on becoming the best me I can possibly be. I also keep in mind that EVERYBODY started out as a beginner and that helps a lot. No marathon runner ran marathon distance on their first day of training.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I LOVE runners who go out alone and I judge the *kitten* out of 'em!

First, I judge that you are doing it for your health, and I think, OH HELL YEAH! GET SOME! Then, when they start walking, I think, Well, we all gotta start sometime and at least this person is out there trying. This is usually followed by, This person is an inspiration, I need to run today!

Yup. I judge the HELL out of runners in my neighborhood...
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Put in your ear buds, play your favorite music and screw what anyone thinks about you.
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I feel more awkward running with other people. I'd just go for it and give it a try alone. You might actually really enjoy it.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Addressing various questions:

Distance - try Couch to 5k (C25k) to give you motivation. Alternatively try something like Zombies! Run, an interactive running app.

Groups - there are many running / jogging clubs out there, all of whom welcome new members. It can be a little intimidating when you really serious runners, but they are all focussed on their own thing and tend to be pretty happy to meet other people who run. They'll also help you out. Everyone's been there, everyone's started somewhere.

Events - look around for a major running event in your local area. Just google it. with many of the big events, they'll have training sessions before the run (pack runs) to get people involved. This is an ideal way to meet other runners and run as part of a pack.

People - If you are noticed - and you're usually not - they're noticing you doing something great - active, outdoors and running. They don't know you, or your journey, and oftentimes those who judge public exercisers are too afraid to do it themselves.

Finally - everyone started somewhere. I started by running 1 lamppost then limping / walking 2 lampposts. I am now training for my first marathon. Don't at any stage trivialise your efforts. If you run, then you are a runner.
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great app to help you get started ! put together an awesome play list and just get going :)
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere Near you that you could go and give it a try where there aren't too many people? I'm really lucky that there is path around a nature reserve by me that you probably see one or two people on a busy day. its perfect for me as I don't have to worry what anyone thinks. I haven't quite got the confidence to go out by the roads yet.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh and just to say, I highly doubt anyone would think anything negative about seeing you. If I see others running, no matter what size or shape they are, I just want to cheer them on for doing something so fab!
  • Spazrax
    Spazrax Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way, but now I focus more on how great I feel after I’ve completed a run - the adrenalin and confidence I gain each time I accomplish a fitness goal (regardless of how big or small it may be) far outweighs those few short moments of feeling shy or uncomfortable.

I’d prefer a few short moments of feeling uncomfortable during a 30min walk/run, than feeling uncomfortable for the rest day as a result of not getting out there and working further towards my goal!

You can do it, it will get easier, get out there and enjoy those endorphins :)

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm pretty sure most people don't even notice us runners. Its only since I've become a runner that Ive taken notice. I don't judge as I know the effort it takes to run even half a mile when your starting out.

Just remember if people judge you your the one who has gotten off the sofa and are making the effort.

Stop worrying what others think and get out there and get running :smiley:

Shaun.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere Near you that you could go and give it a try where there aren't too many people? I'm really lucky that there is path around a nature reserve by me that you probably see one or two people on a busy day. its perfect for me as I don't have to worry what anyone thinks. I haven't quite got the confidence to go out by the roads yet.
    Some schools allow the public to use their tracks when school is not in session and they are usually empty. Also many parks have trails or roads you can run on which are relatively safe and watched over. I run in the early morning and rarely see anyone. If I go out later in the day the roads get busier. RunKeeper has a free beginner 5K plan for 8 weeks. It is a great motivator and just starts you out walking. I am just finishing the plan, still can't run a mile straight but have gotten more confidence and quickened my pace substantially.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I LOVE runners who go out alone and I judge the *kitten* out of 'em!

First, I judge that you are doing it for your health, and I think, OH HELL YEAH! GET SOME! Then, when they start walking, I think, Well, we all gotta start sometime and at least this person is out there trying. This is usually followed by, This person is an inspiration, I need to run today!

Yup. I judge the HELL out of runners in my neighborhood...

I agree with this! I run regularly and can't recall a time that I've ever judged anyone negatively, regardless of their current health status or athletic ability. Everyone out running is out MOVING and doing something awesome for their bodies - which is better than a large majority of the population.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I get it, I really do. But here's the thing - anyone who sees you out there is going to think you are amazing for getting out there. I am a runner, but I haven't always been. When I started, I was 90 lbs overweight. Now I run around my neighbourhood all the time and the people I respect the most are the ones who obviously haven't been running for long. Those carrying a bit of extra weight, have bad form, no fancy gear, etc., because I know how challenging it is at the beginning.

Running 400 metres at a time is a big accomplishment. Just keep going :)

• Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    just keep running and who cares about what other people think really.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My therapy group leader pointed out that the amount of stress that anxiety produces is about the same whether you think about doing something or actually doing it. The sooner you get it out of the way, the far less stressed you'll be. I love running because it is a great introvert activity. I'm doing my own thing and I don't have to answer to a coach, a teammate, anyone. No way I could start running 400m without slowing down either. C25K is a real eye-opener how gentle you have to be with yourself. I also started by taking an eight week class running with a group which helped a lot.

Friends and family frankly, are not on a weight loss enterprise like I am. For this, I find more kindred spirits on MFP.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Since I became a runner last year, there are two things I judge about other runners.
    a) I am jealous because they are running and I am not.
    b) Those pants/shirt/shoes are cute! I wonder where I can get a pair?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Since I became a runner last year, there are two things I judge about other runners.
    a) I am jealous because they are running and I am not.
    b) Those pants/shirt/shoes are cute! I wonder where I can get a pair?

So true. On my run yesterday I saw a guy with the Nike Flash jacket and I yelled "nice jacket!" Yes, I have become jealous of workout attire :blush:
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know this may seem a little lame but i just get so anxious to run by myself i feel like everyone is judging and also i cant run for a great distance only about 400 meters and im already tired. Any tips to help break out of this problem?.

This has applied to every activity I have tried and from motorcycle racing (I'm too slow to race) to running (I can't run 100 feet w/o running out of breath), and I'm always delighted that almost without exception people are 100% supportive and will leave you alone unless you ask for help. And if you ask for help, you'll likely make a supportive friend.

The one exception to this rule is if you gear yourself out for running (headphones, headband, arm bands, fanny pack with 2 bottles of water, compression shorts and socks, 400 dollar shoes, sponsor jersey, glasses, etc - and you can't run 100yards w/o breathing heavy - ya people are gonna judge. You couldn't expect anything different.

I stared running in leather tennis shoes - had a goal of running 1.5 miles before I'd invest in running shoes. No one even noticed.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The tough love part of me says "get over yourself". :) No one else is watching, promise. Anyone who is watching isn't going to be thinking the negative thoughts you are.

I started with C25K, and then quickly graduated to Zombies, Run. Zombies, Run! does have a learning to run app (it's separate), and it's super fun. It tells you a little story in with your music, and just alleviates some of the boredom.

The nice thing about running is that it's so inexpensive to pick up, until you need to get a pair of "better" shoes. Just get out there and give it a try! :)