fellow scale addicts - how did you make yourself stop?

Options
I currently weigh myself at least 3 times a day. I've read all the articles about water retention, hormones, gaining up to 5lb in a day, how you should only weigh once a week - but I can't stop myself. Then I get really miserable even though I know it's natural fluctuations.

My OH is really supportive of me, he keeps telling me about all the different reasons weight fluctuates and threatening to hide the scales because I get so miserable. I just don't know how to stop myself!!

Replies

• Ciler_80
    Ciler_80 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i was worst then u. i did it all day long lol. first time my hubby donated the scale second hided, third time i take the batteries out and trow them in trash. i don't have that kind of batteries at home and my hubby won't give me money just be cause he knows i will go get new ones lol problem solved for me.. Good luck to u :)
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    try to do once a day first thing in the morning. Really no use to do late at night as you know already. I used to weigh every morning then went to every week but then started to forget altogether and clothes started to be snug...I'm back to once a day as I think personally I need a daily monitor.
  • IoneTCrosby
    IoneTCrosby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi :) ! You my try putting it on your calendar, schedule for once week first thing on the morning it my help knowing time and date! And find yourself a hobby ( plants,crochet,quilt,read ,paint,etc) something you love and keep yourself occupied, relax and enjoy doing little bit every day! Every time you think about get your self weight in steady go do some work on your hobby !!! Wish you the best!!!!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    bfitgirl wrote: »
    try to do once a day first thing in the morning. Really no use to do late at night as you know already. I used to weigh every morning then went to every week but then started to forget altogether and clothes started to be snug...I'm back to once a day as I think personally I need a daily monitor.

THIS!!! It's what I do. I've tried skipping a day but that didnt work lol I put the scale away now so I dont weigh myself every time I walk into the bathroom.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fluctuations are just fluctuations which shouldnt affect you, charting it so you can see the trend should resolve that.

You get bored with weighing eventually, but if its not something you can deal with (it shouldnt be making you miserbale) then you should always be using other methods such as tape masure, performance measures at the gym, how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit.

I weigh myself as often as i want because I like data, it suits my personality and doesnt upset me but motivates. I also use all the other measures above.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    have to admit i only stopped when i reached target.. however, now I just measure my waist once a month and pay attention to how my clothes feel. I barely look at the scales now. Could you try measuring yourself instead?
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do measure myself as well but I just really desperately want to get that number on the scale down as it's so obscenely high!!
  • 999tigger
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I do measure myself as well but I just really desperately want to get that number on the scale down as it's so obscenely high!!

Looking at the scale is no going to increase your weight loss, no matter how much you try different positions or will it to move. You are saying its having a detrimental effect and stressing you so, stop doing it as much because stress isnt good and counterproductive. Exercise is a good stressbuster.

• nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    do you think I should get my OH to hide my scales and just give me them once a week or so? If they are there I will just keep on doing it
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Do you use digital scales, which tell you exactly how much you weigh (decimal points included)? I used to do that and found I was getting a bit obsessive. Then my digital scales broke so I bought an analogue set, and actually, that has really helped. They're so hard to read that it is almost impossible to see exactly how much you weigh, and so I started to realize there was no point in weighing myself every day, it was always roughly the same. Now, as long as I see it going down, I'm not as bothered by the exact number as I used to be. Good luck :)
  • 999tigger
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    do you think I should get my OH to hide my scales and just give me them once a week or so? If they are there I will just keep on doing it

Dunno whatever works for you. The scales are just a tool that give info. You are giving them more power than they have. Ive given you alternatives on how you might use them. I just think you get a bit bored after a while and you dont do it as often. If you cnat deal with it remove them and limit it to once a day/week.

They are just a tool. You give them power they dont have.

Use one of the sites like trendweight or an app to log your weight, it will help you undestand fluctuations an take the fear out of them.