runners injury i need help!

Options
I recently went to the gym on treadmill and ran 7 miles in 51 minutes. After finishing and cooling down I stretched and was fine. Later that night my achilles tendon felt like an elastic band! If I touch it when I move it feels like a rubber band and has a lot of pain I can't even make it up the stairs. Pain has subsided over past couple of days but still has elastic feel! What did I do and how can I make it stop and never come back. I'm an active runner doing up to 50 miles weekly for over a year. I just don't know why or how this happened.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Probably should go see a doctor. Not sure anyone here can give real medical advice.
  • jeffmi
    jeffmi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is achilles tendonitis, my suggestion since it happened to me...stay away from the treadmill for a couple of weeks and let it pass. You do not want to rupture the tendon, as this requires surgery to resolve.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the only cure is REST! I've done this once before and I took Advil and did NO running for at least a week. You absolutely have to warm up, stretch the achilles area before running and make sure you do the same on your cool down. I suffer from faciitis plantaris so I have to do this to help that little problem, but the same applies for the achilles.

Whatever you do, don't try to push it. Stretching will help your problem, but be gentle until you know it is healed. When I did this I was scared I really messed something up. I could barely walk and I had to go down the stairs in my home backwards! If it's too excruciatingly painful, you might consider consulting a sports doctor. In most cases, you will just need to rest it, but in some rare cases surgery is necessary.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Howw bout stationary bike or rowing machine for cardio? Or should I stay off it completely?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    For future reference, it is possible to stretch to tendon. Put your toe against a wall, similar to when you want to stretch you calf, and then bend your knee... it'll stretch it out perfectly!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor. I agree that it's most likely achilles tendonitis. Go see a sports med orthopedic surgeon. My friend had it and did therapy which helped her get through a marathon. I wouldn't run again until you see a doctor or are completely pain free if you decide not to see a doc.
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm a runner too. Im always consulting http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html
    for prevention and treatment. Also go to a doctor ;) get well soon
  • HolleeERL
    Options
    For future reference, it is possible to stretch to tendon. Put your toe against a wall, similar to when you want to stretch you calf, and then bend your knee... it'll stretch it out perfectly!

That is one stretch that I always do! Works well!

I know it's hard to take it easy, but if it requires your foot, I would not do it. Take one week off. It won't kill you, I promise! :o) If you must work out, I would suggest working upper body only.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I know the logical thing is to not do anything but I have been there before. If you go a week or two weeks without doing anything and then try to go back to running its going to be murder! You do need to improvise, there are idfferent things that you can do to strengthen it while resting it also. I personally use glutomine supplement for quick muscle repair and I have also used athletic tape to wrap those areas that need extra support, it really makes a huge difference! Hope you get back to running soon! :)
  • KatBarrett927
    Options
    I'm a PT. Stationary bike yes, rower no. The rower requires a lot dorsiflexion (the landing portion of the stride, heel to toe in which the achilles is at its most vulernable in the stretch-shorten cycle) of the ankle and dorsiflexion is what will risk snapping your achilles. If you do the stationary bike or the arm bike, you will be fine until the injury heals. I would see a physician to make sure there is not a partial tear but you should be ready to run with proper rest.
  • HolleeERL
    Options
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the help it's greatly appreciated. I must stay active. My mind goes wacky when I don't. I get this depressing feeling and wind up binging for days on terrible food. But I do not want to risk hurting my self either. I found a doctor and will be seeing him at 5 today. Stationary bike it is. :)