No clothes fit

Options
in ecstatic that my weight loss makes my clothes much baggier but I can not afford to buy new clothes every time I loose 10 lbs my shirts specifically have gone from a 2xl to a med-large besides shrinking them anyone have ideas besides buying new clothes? Any like clips or something like that I work for a high end company so I need to look professional

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yoga pants or pants with elastic waistbands for non-work.

You can also try clearance racks (Target, Walmart, etc) or shop at Goodwill.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Consignment or thrift stores were my favorite places to shop when losing.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    look out for the charity shops in nice areas, otherwise shop in the sales
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I get most of mine from thrift stores and ebay :) I'm super cheap. And have super cute clothes ;)
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My experience is that trying to make your old clothes fit while losing just makes you look like you're trying to make your old clothes fit. Thrift shops are a good idea as are garage sales in wealthier areas of your city.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'd get lots of yoga pants or sweatpants for at home. Sweatpants with strings to tie are great since you can keep making them tighter. As for shirts, I'd just go to like Goodwill and buy a bunch in different sizes and then redonate them once you're done with them. At least it's a tax write off that way!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been having luck on sales racks. It might take a while to search but I've found pants from 5-11 dollars a piece.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores. Also I try to buy clothes that are a little smaller than I would normally like (but still wearable) in hopes that they will last me a little longer. Also a lot of dry cleaners offer alterations. Granted it will vary… but I found that altering them was actually pretty cheap. But it was not quick. So be prepared.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have also had alot of luck with goodwill and other thrift shops, I find pretty much brand new stuff there all the time. Sometimes it really is brand new with the tags never taken off....
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sewing classes are becoming trendy these days.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Plato's Closet nearby? Consignment shops are a good way to buy secondhand without wading through the Goodwill shops.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    with all this talk of thrift stores.... I think I will go visit a couple today! LOL
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It was a lot easier buy bigger clothes when I was gaining. Now I shop in my closet, finding stuff that didn't fit years ago that fits me now!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Talk with friends and family too- if anyone else is losing weight or has a bag of smaller clothes tucked away maybe you can get some 'hand me downs' even if only a couple of shirts work out, that's still a couple of fitting shirts that you didn't have or didn't have to pay for.

I go through my clothes often to take to goodwill. So maybe I just feel like others do as often as I do too. But if you have some really close people that you feel like discussing this with, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Also a sewing machine. If you have one, or a friend has one, ask to borrow it. Read tutorials or blogs about altering/tailoring clothing and give it a go. Try it on your biggest shirt that way you have more room for error. I've done this with several pairs of pants and a few dresses.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Part of it is having an eye for fashion/your personal style. My husband is so good at this. He knows what looks good on him and will go buy a $1000 designer Italian suit at the goodwill for $8, get it tailored and look amazing. Most of his wardrobe is from goodwill and he gets stopped all the time by people asking where he gets his clothes. But the key is he knows what looks good and how to put it together.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Target's Merona brand makes decent work-appropriate clothing that can get you through your weight loss until you are ready to invest in better quality. If you work for a company with higher-end expectations as far as appearance, then a proper fit will take you much farther than more expensive clothing that doesn't fit correctly. Buy some basic bottoms (for me the doubleweave pencil skirts worked great) and a few flattering tops for each size, then wear them until you go down another size. Play up accessories in the meantime.

Check out www.outfitposts.com, a blog that should give you great inspiration and proof that you can look very professional without spending a lot. She also does capsules wardrobe posts that show how you can make the most of mixing and matching.

Trust me, no one can tell if you're wearing a $20 black skirt or pant from Target if it fits you well. Add a cute top from Target, a thrift store or TJ Maxx, and you're golden. And accessories and great shoes really amp up the look. You don't have to look sloppy in too-big clothes. You'll feel like a million bucks and save your cash!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love thrift stores. In fact today is the last Wednesday of the month. That means everything is half off at the good thrift store in town. Thanks for reminding me of that. I need some short and maybe a few skirts. The hubby needs some shorts too.

OP I also have luck sometimes at places like Ross, but its very hit or miss.