Advice for travel / a long trip

Options
I know some people will not log or not worry as much when they are on vacation, but I'll be gone about a month so I can't just not worry about it. I reached my goal weight and am just now switching to maintenance, so I hope to have that figured out by the time I leave in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll log every day or not but I will some of the time.

Basically, any advice on staying fit and eating healthy while traveling would be appreciated!

I'm planning to bring along/buy some snacks and things at grocery stores along the way and not eat out all the time, but it will definitely be most of the time. Any ideas on good portable snacks?

Replies

• LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you will be on a road trip, but if you are in a stable location, try to stick as closely as possible to what you do at home.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Exercise as much as you can.

My husband and I bring our bicycles with us when we travel ... I would feel half naked if I weren't schlepping a bicycle box through an airport. :lol:

Plus we walk a lot. We hike trails to get to scenic outlooks, and quite often, shortly after getting settled in a hotel late afternoon/early evening, we'll go for a long walk to hunt for dinner, rather than driving to find it.
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks I leave for Thailand for a short 10 day trip and will not log my food. Last year I went there 3 times and lost 5-7 lbs each time without even trying. I eat more frequently (Thai food and fruit) but the portions are smaller and the types of places I like don't use processed food...street carts and hole-in-the-wall type restaurants. Just like home I avoid the fast food and chain restaurants.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you going on a road trip? B) You can have a big cooler in the car that you refill with ice each day. Pack cheese sticks, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, deli meats, precut veggies, dried fruit, fresh or canned fruit, apple sauce, crackers, protein bars, nuts.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I normally go on a few overseas trips a year, and while I do log all my calories while abroad, and generally, without exception, go over my macros, I find that my weight stabilises eventually.
    When I travel I do a LOT of walking - more so than I do while at home..
    I make a point of finding gyms close to where I am, and will always schedule gym time in my itineraries..
    I don't limit my food consumption. My holidays revolve around food most of the time, so if I gain weight I lose it when I get home.
    Calorie counting and macro tracking is a tool that works. If you put on weight, you know exactly what to do to lose it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How active will you be on your trip? I find that we are generally up and moving around a lot more while on vacation than at home. Eight hours of even a relatively slow walk through a city or tourist spot burns more calories than that amount of time sitting at a computer. If you are moving around quite a bit I would probably not do additional cardio. I would do some bodyweight stuff like pushups, inverted rows, etc. when possible. When we were at Disney, I did dips while waiting in line, using the railings.

Food-wise, I'd say do your best to estimate calories when eating out. If you know you're going somewhere special for dinner and will want to splurge, eat less earlier in the day. It's not really different from at home. I usually find that I let loose food-wise for a few days but then hit a point where I just want something very simple like salad and grilled salmon because I get tired of the heavier foods. So it all balances out.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm going away myself at the end of May == to Scotland. My understanding that the food there is fairly heavy -- grilled meats, breads, oatmeal (probably the only good thing) and such. I'll be doing a lot of walking but not staying in places with a gym, mostly B &B. So I have the same issues. I'm even concerned whether I'll be able to eat most of the food. I can eat like that once a week, but not every day.
  • mayharmony
    mayharmony Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I hadn't considered it but I most likely will be doing a lot more walking around than I do on a normal day. Of course there will also be lots of time in the car. :/ I wonder if I will be able to find places to weight myself once a week or so, just to see if I'm on track.

I'll just have to do my best. I think I'll try to eat lighter lunches like salad.

As someone pointed out its not a big deal if I gain a few pounds since I know how to lose it back now, but I don't want to make that a habit.