What books can you recommend to start learning about nutrition?

Options
Hi all

I am a UK food blogger and have fun creating weekly low fat healthy recipes.

However, I would like to self-teach myself about nutrition and glycaemic index of foods etc.

I love using fresh ingredients but want to understand more on the benefits of what I am eating and have found it is mind boggling and sometimes contradictory.

Note: I am not vegan, vegetarian or special in raw/clean eating but sometimes my recipes may include these from time to time.

If anyone can recommend some books to help me as, that would be much appreciared!

Many thanks
Vikkie

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Perhaps start with Google scholar for articles on how healthy fat is?

I don't think there are any books that would present a non-biased view one way or another. Even "healthy" isn't definitive - plenty of people are effected negatively from consuming "healthy" ingredients, so for them, that ingredient isn't healthy. It's up to you to decide what is relevant or not. Research everything.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I posted a thread aboutthis book recently. It's got a good overview of nutrition and how to amend meals, the thread should explain it :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10141855/burn-balance-or-build-recipe-book
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. There is so much miss information and Myths out there. My suggestion would be find a course at a college or university that is reputable and gives you a known and recognised qualification at the end. Then take that. Most books etc come with the authors agenda be it low fat low carb, chocolate for breakfast or singing giraffes at teatime

Good Luck
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread aboutthis book recently. It's got a good overview of nutrition and how to amend meals, the thread should explain it :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10141855/burn-balance-or-build-recipe-book

That sounds like it pushes low fat.... Which I really don't agree with. (hence the comment I made about not finding a book that will answer the OP's question!) everyone has an opinion, whether it's right/wrong for the individual depends on their goals, understandings, beliefs, current health etc.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    It doesn't substitute anything with low-fat versions (that I've noticed) which is what I liked about it but suppose most of the recipes are low in fat as a general rule. Though he's quite big on typically fatty things like cheese and pork.

I just quite liked the 'one recipe, three ways' approach in general which could work for Vikkie's food blogging :)
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

Seconded.

Also Marion Nestle's books.

Also perhaps Death by Food Pyramid.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    Death by Food Pyramid sounds exciting, I will be looking this one up!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz.

Seconding! This rocks.

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint are great, IMO, but contentious. I'm sure some anti-paleo person will leap out and rag on me for the suggestions, but whatever. Works for me, and those were the best general things I've found in recent years.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Books from alan aragon and lyle Mcdonald
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've read over 50 (maybe 60 now) books on dieting, nutrition and food politics, from one end of the spectrum to the other (vegan to paleo and everything in between lol). They're all biased in their own ways and most of them are really convincing, until you read another one that claims the total opposite and is equally 'convincing' >:) A good place to start is 'Rethinking Thin' by Gina Kolata. It gives a great overview of the dieting industry, both historical and present. It also looks at recent studies in relation to weight, and then it spends some time going over the realities of long term weight loss success. It's a pretty sobering read, but very good. Probably the best book out of all of the ones I've read and it's had the biggest impact on me and my own weight loss journey/maintenance.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is the first book I used in my first nutrition course. I loved it, it's a text book so it reads like one, but has tons of great information

http://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/understanding-normal-and-clinical-nutrition-sharon-rady-rolfes/1100195139?ean=9780840068453