Someone asked me what prompted me to do this.

Options
I thought I'd share my reply.

Hi,
Life is what prompted me to do this. I was never a big ....fat guy. All my life I have been able to eat what and when I want. After I got married and she got pregnant I put on the pounds just as fast as she did. Every time I tried to lose them she would support me to a point. Hindsight, she resented me for being able to and would sabotage me with offering my new vices. I cannot blame her anymore though, those were my choices. 12 year failed marriage, 2 GREAT kids, and depression. I lied to myself for 2 years that just being out of the house would automatically snap me back to my old self. I was wrong.

Took the kids mountain hiking last weekend, to see if they would like it, and to see if I could still climb a mountain. Fully not expecting to reach the summit, because the kids have never ever done something like this...and because I'm a fat lazy so and so now... We made it. It's a large mountain for the area and "the average hiker should reach the summit within 3-4 hours" Surprisingly..we did! The kids loved it, they want to go back and continue on with other hikes. This is who I used to be....

So I guess reaching that summit made me believe that if i put in a real effort rather than just hoping... I can succeed.

Thanks for reaching out. Forcing me to answer this question out loud is another step in the right direction for me. Good luck to you and your husband.

(I'm going to put another picture up here to remind me..)
dfg5raf8c7yy.jpg

Replies

• michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    GREAT reason, and cute kids! I wish you much luck and success on your journey!
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep it up for yourself, and for what it teaches your kids!!!
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well done you. The first stage is being honest with yourself. Wishing you good luck with your journey.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!! :):) !!!!!!!
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Who took the Picture?? just kidding ;-) you look fantastic all of you!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story man! Congrats on reaching the summit. Let it serve as a reminder that whatever goal you set for yourself, as long as you consistently pursue the target, you'll reach the "summit".
  • nersteve
    nersteve Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some random hiker asked me if I would like a picture. I thanked him. This one is printed out and on my wall in my office, and will be framed for home. I did't realize then how powerful this picture would be for me. Thanks all.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you commit to an active lifestyle, eat healthy foods and manage portions you can't help but lose weight. Your kids will thank you and your body will thank you. Best of all it can be fun too. If your like me, I hope it will extend my years and quality of them. Great picture and hope you have many more to come.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Your daughter's smile says it all. :)
  • notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    nersteve wrote: »
    I thought I'd share my reply.

Hi,
    Life is what prompted me to do this. I was never a big ....fat guy. All my life I have been able to eat what and when I want. After I got married and she got pregnant I put on the pounds just as fast as she did. Every time I tried to lose them she would support me to a point. Hindsight, she resented me for being able to and would sabotage me with offering my new vices. I cannot blame her anymore though, those were my choices. 12 year failed marriage, 2 GREAT kids, and depression. I lied to myself for 2 years that just being out of the house would automatically snap me back to my old self. I was wrong.

Took the kids mountain hiking last weekend, to see if they would like it, and to see if I could still climb a mountain. Fully not expecting to reach the summit, because the kids have never ever done something like this...and because I'm a fat lazy so and so now... We made it. It's a large mountain for the area and "the average hiker should reach the summit within 3-4 hours" Surprisingly..we did! The kids loved it, they want to go back and continue on with other hikes. This is who I used to be....

So I guess reaching that summit made me believe that if i put in a real effort rather than just hoping... I can succeed.

Thanks for reaching out. Forcing me to answer this question out loud is another step in the right direction for me. Good luck to you and your husband.

(I'm going to put another picture up here to remind me..)
    dfg5raf8c7yy.jpg

Way to Go! Making great memories AND starting a new activity/sport WITH your kids---and one that they will hopefully pass on to theirs as well. Wishing you success as you work your way through the 'changing of the mind' because if we want things to change, we have to CHANGE THINGS!