stay at home mom trying to lose 100+

Options
I don't even know where to begin, boredom, convenience and depression keep me in my food addiction cycle. Anyone have tips on how to break free? Any way to make it easier with the constant presence of my 1 year old?

Replies

• aewaters10
    aewaters10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, I weigh almost 270, 50 of which I gained while pregnant and then about 20 more since I switched from a job where I was on my feet all day to beingma stay at home mom. I have been overweight for about 8 years now, with my weight steadily rising since the beginning of high school. I just want to be healthy and confident for my daughter. I want to be able to play with her at thr park and not feel judged about my weight. I want to be able to ride amusement park rides with her (I am too fat to fit in some, an incredibly embarrassing lesson to learn, so I never tried again). I want to kayak and hike and be outdoorsy again, but it is hard when you are overweight.
  • HollyFromTexas
    HollyFromTexas Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm quite a bit older than you but I'm a stay at home mom of 4 however all of them are now in school. I'm about 15lbs heavier as well. I am also trying to break the cycle of food addiction and I want to be more active with my kids. Maybe we could encourage each other or share stories?
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe start by just sticking to your calorie allowence and once you've got that down , then start exercising . Just bring your baby out in the stroller for walks . That's how I started .i was 189lbs In January and I'm 172lbs now I still have a long way to go . it's hard to get movatied when you have a small child and your tired and maybe feeling a bit blue , but you can do it !
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just started by logging everything I ate. I didn't worry about going over my daily calories. I only worried about being honest with myself. After logging honestly for a few weeks, I found myself making better decisions almost by accident. After a while I started dropping weight, and the only thing I felt like I was changing was that I was being honest with myself. Good luck! And welcome to MyFitnessPal. :flowerforyou:
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide to make that change. I'm a mom of four and for so long I said I was too tired, busy, stressed to care about eating healthy and exercising. But then I decided enough was enough and I started taking care of myself. I definitely recommend exercising as soon as your little one takes a nap, that way it gets it out of the way. Then try to stay active throughout the day with your little one...take walks, run around outside, etc. Add in eating less (use MFP's goals) and you will start to lose. Good luck!
  • volmama1
    volmama1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. I too am a mom trying to lose weight..it can be discouraging. I have a three year old and a seven year old...so snacks are always around...but I KNOW we can do this..where are you from?
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it all starts with you... question is.. are you setting a good example for the kids by eating rubbish? get rid of all that Rubbish snack food in the cupboards... replace with fruits, vegetables... cut it up on a weekly basis and place in boxes in the fridge... for them and you... whether its a 1 year old or a 3 and 7 year old... I think as parents we need to realise that our kids only learn from us... so why teach them the bad habits...
    and then we are the ones who cause our children to get obese...
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 yr old I take out 3 times a week for in a hiking pack. She loves it, even naps in it. We've been out for up to 3 hrs, with small breaks. Plus it keeps me out of the house and away from the fridge.
  • aewaters10
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I mean "get moving and eat better" is a no-brainer, but if it was that easy, why would so many people need help losing weight? It's just not that simple in practice, well it is, it's just not easy. Anyone with toddlers or babies also live in a hot humid climate? I hate going outside in 90+ degree weather with 75% or more humidity, and I feel like it can't be good for a 1 year old to be out in that heat for very long. I love the hiking backpack idea, I wish I still lived in the mountains near Seattle, but I live in Houston now,mand I feel like that in itself has contributed greatly to my weight gain. Keep the advice coming :D especially anything helpful that doesn't require too much outdoor time. Not to say that if getting outside is the best way to get results I wont do it :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Less excuses bring more results.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Well if the walking with your toddler or baby is not an option, then It appears you may be just stuck..

Tip: Weight loss does not occur outside or in the gym... It starts first in your head and then in the kitchen..

• aewaters10
    Options
    MsTinaSays wrote: »
    it all starts with you... question is.. are you setting a good example for the kids by eating rubbish? get rid of all that Rubbish snack food in the cupboards... replace with fruits, vegetables... cut it up on a weekly basis and place in boxes in the fridge... for them and you... whether its a 1 year old or a 3 and 7 year old... I think as parents we need to realise that our kids only learn from us... so why teach them the bad habits...
    and then we are the ones who cause our children to get obese...
    You are absolutely right, I do try to eat good things, and if not for my husband I likely would succeed at eating well all the time, I have problems with portion control, especially when I do indulge in junk foods. I tell my husband all the time that we wont eat like this when our daughter is old enough to recognize eating habits, and I do my best to feed her only healful foods. Poor diet is definitely picked up early, but we actually eat pretty healthy home cooked food at home... Just usually too much. (my husband eats whatever and however much he wants and gains no weight...)
  • sweetandsassyred
    sweetandsassyred Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Every time I was tempted and wanted to over eat I had to say to myself (not out loud of course) NO! and say it over and over as I got up the strenth to walk away and I started to realize I am in control and I am winning this battle not the food. Each time I got a little stronger and more determined to win and before long it wasn't as hard to walk away. Also I replaced those bad snacks and meals with more and more healthier items and drank more water. Soon you start to realize you don't want to eat as much.

So I wish you all the best and I hope that helped in some way.
  • jmphillips3
    jmphillips3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the advice of working on getting your calories in check first and then adding exercising. Its what I am working on now since when my nearly 3 year daughter sleeps I am studying, taking online classes at a local college.

When you are ready to add exercise, there are lots of free exercise video's on youtube. I have put my laptop on my bedroom dresser before and done them right in my bedroom.

The hardest part of being at home, is the access to food 24/7. After I finish my degree, I plan to work from home. So I have to get this snacking habit in check regardless. I am no longer buying things that I can't just have one serving of like chips.
  • kaypearce26
    kaypearce26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a stat at home mum too I have always been up and down with my weight I have been trying to lose weight since I had my daughter three years ago but didn't really stick to it for more than a few days. Kv been sticking to my calorie allowance and iv lost 12lb in two weeks eating better and feeling better. I started out weighing 13. St 12 pounds I'm now 13 stone in two weeks it does work x
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    aewaters10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I mean "get moving and eat better" is a no-brainer, but if it was that easy, why would so many people need help losing weight? It's just not that simple in practice, well it is, it's just not easy. Anyone with toddlers or babies also live in a hot humid climate? I hate going outside in 90+ degree weather with 75% or more humidity, and I feel like it can't be good for a 1 year old to be out in that heat for very long. I love the hiking backpack idea, I wish I still lived in the mountains near Seattle, but I live in Houston now,mand I feel like that in itself has contributed greatly to my weight gain. Keep the advice coming :D especially anything helpful that doesn't require too much outdoor time. Not to say that if getting outside is the best way to get results I wont do it :)

I live in Austin, and six weeks after I had my baby, I got out in the evenings in the hot July temperatures and got my a.s.s. running, pushing my baby in the stroller. I hated it. But I hated being fat and out of shape more.

The only answer is this: Just f*cking do it.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yes! Just f**king do it! If you wait for perfect temps, no humidity, and this and that you'll never get to it. Make it happen, good luck!
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aewaters10 wrote: »
    I want to kayak and hike and be outdoorsy again, but it is hard when you are overweight.

I used to believe this, too. It's false. If you want to be outdoorsy again - start doing the things you want to do outdoors. Hiking, biking, running, playing softball, playing soccer, etc. do not have a weight limit. The more you do it, the healthier you will get.

More importantly, why are you putting your life on hold? How long are you willing to put off living? Are you going to make your baby stay inside with you and not live his/her life, too?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    FSScese.jpg

Consider food prepping to cut down on time spent in the kitchen and to get your calorie intake/ portion size in check. Lastly a one hr workout is about 4% of a day, it is a rarity to meet an individual who cannot spare 4% of their day.
  • wingsofair
    wingsofair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was 281 at nine months pregnant. I had my son and went down to 265, now I'm 242. I started by just doing the calorie allowance, and just recently I've been switching to even healthier versions of my old foods. I do plain oatmeal instead of flavored and add my own fruit or honey. It still tastes sweet and it saves tons of sugar and calories. Sugar basically equals the same thing as fat so you want to slowly cut down the amount you have in your diet. I also don't really eat dairy, I drink almond milk and will just have the occasion cheese slice. There's a lot of sugar in milk, bread, tomato sauce, pretty much everything. I add a lot of vegetables to meals that do involve meat or pasta, but for the most part I'm trying to make eggs my main sauce of protein. Good luck! I have a three month old and am currently a stay at home mom so I know how hard it can be. Just make small changes gradually and take it one day at a time :)