I need a "heavy" filling food that is reasonably healthy (strange craving for more food)

Options
norie92
norie92 Posts: 115 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have been getting the most intense craving for more calories.
My stomach feels like it's on constant empty.
I exercise less (last month I exercised regularly usually twice a day), but eat the same amount of calories (1800, male, sedentary now).

I don't know what changed but I am hard-pressed to think that my body started needing more calories after an intense month of exercise.

I need help, I think what might cure this is a heavy food maybe with lots of chicken. If anyone has any comment, insight, or easy chicken recipes I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This isn't chicken, but what I do is eat a lot of veggies. You can eat a lot of them, feel full, and not eat to many calories. You can add some chicken to it, too.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    sometimes when I have that feeling, it's a loaded baked potato. I'll start with a fairly small potato, sautee tons of mushrooms, add some chicken, maybe some onions and then a tiny bit of brown gravy (I have the packets and just will add a teaspoon and some water to "sauce" it up).

It is delicious, huge and filling!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Red meat and veggies. I like to roast them- a combo of broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes is my favorite, along with a small steak. If I am REALLY hungry, I'll add half a serving of quinoa as well. Most filling meal EVER.

ETA: Salmon is a good substitution for red meat, if it has the skin on.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    mmm... all good ideas.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Ham and bean soup Super easy a ham hock and a lb of dry navy beans a sprinklE of onion powder. 7-8 hrs on low in a crockpot. Delicious and so filling!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Chicken and vegetable soup is the ultimate feel full food. Even better than chicken and vegetables as the broth helps make you feel fuller. If you have room add lentils or barley too
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This meal I find to be so creamy and delicious that I feel like I'm consuming more calories than I am. It says it makes 6 servings, but my husband and I get 4 (his servings are bigger than mine though). I substitute full fat cheese for low fat and use it sparingly, I use low fat cream of chicken soup, extra lean ground beef (and drain as much fat away as possible) and I pack it full of whatever veggies we have in the fridge. It's about 500 calories per serving, though I'll admit it is pretty high in sodium.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/cheesy-burger-rice-and-broccoli-skillet/a9b1d82c-651b-4395-ae4c-84fb1bf01972
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was very hungry after my morning workouts and couldn't seem to fill the void. I started having one cup of 1% lowfat cottage cheese and 1/2 of an avocado and it worked. To make chicken more filling I like loading it up with bell peppers and onions and doing a pepper steak but with chicken paired with a hearty whole grain like brown rice or buckwheat and you have a substantial meal.
  • whattheJKD
    whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe chicken salad with whole-fat plain greek yogurt instead of mayo would fit your bill. Food52 has a delish pesto chicken salad w/ yogurt and peas that is super-filling and simple. I use poached chicken breasts and thighs instead of rotisserie chicken and reduce the amount of pesto in it. Other full-fat dairy products like whole milk w/ cereal or cottage cheese are go-tos for me because a small amount of them is really filling/sticks to your ribs.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    White potatoes. Then throw something on top (i.e. chicken, lean taco meat, etc.). Just had some homemade taco meat (93% lean) over salt potatoes last night.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your body may be trying to regain the calories you lost. When I get this feeling, I tend to go over my limit and gain back a few pounds.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I was very hungry after my morning workouts and couldn't seem to fill the void. I started having one cup of 1% lowfat cottage cheese and 1/2 of an avocado and it worked. To make chicken more filling I like loading it up with bell peppers and onions and doing a pepper steak but with chicken paired with a hearty whole grain like brown rice or buckwheat and you have a substantial meal.

I love cottage cheese with fruit. One serving of Hood cottage cheese with a cup of Dole peach slices works great for me. I also eat the cucumber-dill cottage cheese with an extra 100 gm of cucumber.
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My go to's are marinated chicken breasts which I cook in advance, carrot sticks and hummus and tuna fish salad.
  • dandydan99
    dandydan99 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can try veggeti made from zucchini and carrots. I sautee garlic and onion in olive oil, add the vegetti and then some Lidia's pasta sauce. Very spaghetti like and super satisfying.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Oats, nuts or thick brown toast and Marmite, depending on what time of day it is. Eggs work petty well for me too.
  • galvitron1
    galvitron1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fiber & water. Many times our idiot human brains screw up the difference between thirst and hunger. Secondly foods higher in fiber tend to be lower in energy density. These will be vegetables and many fruits, as well as whole wheat/grain breads. These help to keep you satiated (feeling full)
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think you need more fat and water. usually people become ravenous or feel like they need more calories when you are dehydrated or when you are lacking fats. in other words usually too many carbs. try a 1/2 avocado with homemade chicken salad inside. chicken salad: chicken, onion, celery, real mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Water, spinach salads, and lentil soup. You can eat lentil soup, and sweet potatoes, until you are stuffed. Add a bowl of oatmeal, you will be full. Eat unprocessed foods, to feel full.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are filling your daily need for protien and fat. Also add fiber to smoothies, bevvies and such!