Sheer volume of food I eat - Anyone else

Options
So as I have been going along, doing my thing I have been more and more concerned about the volume of food that I need to eat (usually at lunch) to feel full and get through the day. I mean, I can put away about twice as much food as my spouse does at lunch and have to add large amounts of vegetables to my lunches to keep me full through the afternoon.

I almost feel that I have to eat to the point just past uncomfortably full, and even then I'm usually having my afternoon "snack" (fruit) an hour later to keep me full. I've had it suggested that perhaps I have a binge disorder, but I haven't really explored that.

Anyone have input, ideas or a similar story?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat similar, I can eat loads then be hungry an hour later (like, eat the point of feeling sick at an all you can eat buffet, then want to eat again when I get home), but I do tend to feel satisfied after not eating much. So I don't really have meals as such anymore unless I'm going out, I just have small snacks throughout the day. My lunch is less than 200 calories, for example, and my snacks are usually 100-150 calories. So when I start to get hungry I don't mind having a snack because that's what I've based my day around.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I have a close relative who feels like that too. She does occasionally binge eat, but also complains that she is never full. She is overweight and doctors have said that being overweight (she is 100 lbs over), her stomach is a little bigger. That is why in cases where they do band surgery (and the like) the stomach can be up to a football size (particularly in very obese people). If you are always eating it never gets a chance to shrink down. I'm sure there is much more to it than that, but it's just one thing that can happen.

Hers is also emotional. She eats for comfort. Part of that comfort is 'feeling full' but it takes longer to get there than it should. I would guess exercise would help too, since it stimulates the body and tries to take it to it's natural state (per individual). Whether that happens or not is also dependent on lots of factors. I'm just putting a couple of things out there for you that I'm aware of.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This is by no means a jusgemental comment, as I'm sure we've all been in the same boat, but, we've been "used" to stuffing ourselves past the pointof need/satiaty.

When you "think" you're hungry, drink a glass of water, and give it thirty minutes. If you're still hungry, have a snack that will fit in your calories and macros.

Me? I'm kind of a grazer most days. Very small meals, and snackies all day long. Good luck!
  • Kathycooks2014
    Kathycooks2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I once weighed 299 lbs; a friend suggested I come with her to an OA meeting (Overeaters Anonymous). They had a grey sheet @ the time got a sponsor called in my food & basically gave up all of my binge foods which were all sugars & man made everything else. I stuck to protein, fruits & veggies in measured amounts & lost 160 lbs. in a year. Then thought I was fixed stopped going to meetings & menopause came in & 40lbs kreeped back on. About 3 months ago started the Daniel Plan @ Church lost 13lbs in a couple of months & then they stopped having Daniel Plan meetings @ Church! Then April 10, 11, & 12th went to parties & Potlucks & gained back the 13lb over the weekend. One of my girlfriends suggested this website & what a blessing! I have lost the 13lbs since April 13th my first day here! Thank God! & where do you live?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat past the full point. I skip breakfast and eat a light lunch just so I can have a really big dinner. I eat about 80% of my calories in one meal. I find that looking forward to that big meal gets me through the day. I don't suppose this would work for everyone, but it works for me. Luckily, I've never been much on breakfast.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There is no reason that you must eat until you are full and there is also no reason to think that you must remain full. Instead of trying to be full all the time, why not try to eat in such a way that you are empty when you reach your next meal?
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've found the body adapts to our actions. Like stated above, we are an indulgent people and our bodies become used to being "full" all of the time. When, truly, there is no harm in being hungry between meals. Your body should adjust. It's not fun at first because our first reaction to feeling hungry is to eat until that feeling goes away. It's kind of a mind over body struggle at first. Figure out how many calories your body needs and stick to that amount. Don't go super low on the calories. Start out with the amount of calories to maintain your weight, then once you are comfortable go down 5% or so until you are at the calorie intake you want to be at. Be careful on the MFP settings. It told me I should be eating 1200 calories a day. Yeah right!!! I'd starve to death. Take care of you first and foremost but also don't let your stomach rule your day. :wink:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rotterholt wrote: »
    So as I have been going along, doing my thing I have been more and more concerned about the volume of food that I need to eat (usually at lunch) to feel full and get through the day. I mean, I can put away about twice as much food as my spouse does at lunch and have to add large amounts of vegetables to my lunches to keep me full through the afternoon.

I almost feel that I have to eat to the point just past uncomfortably full, and even then I'm usually having my afternoon "snack" (fruit) an hour later to keep me full. I've had it suggested that perhaps I have a binge disorder, but I haven't really explored that.

Anyone have input, ideas or a similar story?

Take a look at my diary. I eat a lot of food to fuel my body for the workouts I do and I maintain my weight. I like to feel full, but I also don't mind being hungry.

Just because you eat a large volume of food does not mean you have a binge disorder. Just make sure you eat within your calorie deficit and make sure it's the food you like.

You have lost 76 pounds (congratulations! :D ), so you're doing something right.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am very similar OP; I can eat a huge meal that will leave me feeling sickly full, then an hour later I feel like I need t eat again. So I've stopped having big meals and now just have several small ones. It definitely has helped me :)
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big eater, but also thankfully, have a decent metabolism. I also struggle with blood sugar issues and get sick if I go too long without eating, which sort of led me to have this weird fear situation with feeling hungry, like I MUST eat before I actually get hungry, and then I was eating all the time, and then I was getting fat.

So, what helped me was to gradually cut back on portions. You WILL feel hungry, but if you eat more often but smaller sizes, this goes away after awhile. Also, I know I tend to eat when I am bored, so rather than grabbing a bag of popcorn, I'll do some activity (walk the dogs, clean my kitchen) and if I'm still hungry after that, I'll eat something. Someone also told me once "you're not really hungry if you won't eat an apple," which helps me be mindful of cravings rather than true hunger. If I'm "hungry" but only for nachos, I don't really NEED to eat. I just want nachos.
  • rinteusp
    rinteusp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I should probably note that I stay within my macros - I lift heavy three times a week, I do cardio 3-5 times a week (depending on what else is going on in my life) so I have a lot of calories to work with. And I've lost 80 pounds in a little over a year (still have a lot to go). It's just that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if its something I should be concerned with.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've got a few ideas. Work through them and adopt the ones that work.
    • There is one diet aid that I have considered and that's PGX, basically a fiber supplement (Konjac root or glucomannan). Take a few pills about twenty minutes before lunch with a couple glasses of water.
    • Include a tablespoon of fat (olive oil based salad dressing for instance) at lunch and two walnut halves at breakfast to give you enough fat to provide long term satiety.
    • Eat slowly, mindfully. Try a mindful exercise. I blogged my experience mindfully eating a bagel.
    • I often eat lunch with chopsticks to slow me down.
    • Try the Okinawan dinner time mantra, "hara hachi bu", means "eat until you are 8/10ths full". You have to be eating slow enough to catch this feeling.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    sshintaku wrote: »
    I've always been a big eater, but also thankfully, have a decent metabolism. I also struggle with blood sugar issues and get sick if I go too long without eating, which sort of led me to have this weird fear situation with feeling hungry, like I MUST eat before I actually get hungry, and then I was eating all the time, and then I was getting fat.

So, what helped me was to gradually cut back on portions. You WILL feel hungry, but if you eat more often but smaller sizes, this goes away after awhile. Also, I know I tend to eat when I am bored, so rather than grabbing a bag of popcorn, I'll do some activity (walk the dogs, clean my kitchen) and if I'm still hungry after that, I'll eat something. Someone also told me once "you're not really hungry if you won't eat an apple," which helps me be mindful of cravings rather than true hunger. If I'm "hungry" but only for nachos, I don't really NEED to eat. I just want nachos.

Holy Cow! This is so true. I like it put like that. I love to eat whenever I please (but don't anymore), and I always find myself thinking, when I get a little too hungry, hmmm....maybe just a half of that _____ whatever it is that I want (or think I want). What you said just rang a bell for me. Yeah...I'll be asking myself that from now on. Because you want to eat....just not an apple - you want the piece of pie! >:) Thank you for posting!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    rotterholt wrote: »
    I should probably note that I stay within my macros - I lift heavy three times a week, I do cardio 3-5 times a week (depending on what else is going on in my life) so I have a lot of calories to work with. And I've lost 80 pounds in a little over a year (still have a lot to go). It's just that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if its something I should be concerned with.

Congrats on your success. Keep reminding yourself of what you have done right. :)
    Lifting and cardio are wonderful. You could take up yoga or tai chi to help you with mindfulness/body awareness -- that can help you be in touch with your body/mind signals.