a little sad

Options
i started working out 2 weeks ago. 6 times a week i go walking for an hour and then i do 30 to 50 mins zumba. i been counting my calories and staying close to 1200 calories. i stop eating junk food. i stop drinking soda, i been drinking a lot of water and trying really hard. then last night i decided to weight myself and it says that i gained 3 lbs. i dnt even know how that is possible. I'm thinking of giving up. i feel like a failure :frown: :sad:

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight.....don't be discouraged. Just watch your salt intake and your weight should go back down. Good luck!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary and then we can help you :smile:
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Dont give up.... your body is probably confused and rebelling... give it some more time and stick at it and you will see changes. :flowerforyou:
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Not a failure, you are prob gaining muscle!!! I have been doing this for 13 weeks now and I think going up on the scale happens to the best of us!!! KEEP Your chin up you are doing great!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It's also important to eat back your burned exercise calories
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You're more active now and your body is used to the amount of fuel you've been giving it. Your body is likely telling you it needs more fuel!
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That always sucks. Are you sure you are only eating 1200 calories- do you weigh all your food and measure it out? Are you watching the sodium? Sodium can affect weight. I can't see your diary so I can't really give you much advice. I know I'll gain before TOM and then lose it after my cycle starts.
  • kattyisfat
    kattyisfat Posts: 10
    Options
    You will go up and down all the time. Don't give up. Some weight gain is muscle and will start burning more calories soon. Some has to do with salt and water retention....I have gone up 7 pounds in five days from that. Keep going and you will see things start changing. You are doing great!
  • manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    have you measured? because you may have lost inches, not weight. it happens.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    stay off the scale :) make your weigh ins, every 6 weeks (also when you should change your exersise routine) !

You'll feel better about your self if you don't weigh in

Also - probably water weight or added muscle. Don't give up cuz exersise is meant for more than just weight loss!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend weighing at night. And perhaps you need to be eating more. If you cut too much too soon, the body has a tendency to freak out and start storing calories like crazy.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you have been working out hard (your muscles hurt) then they are retaining water for the healing/repairing process. I painted a house over the weekend and Monday I had gained 4 lbs since Friday, despite drinking tons of water and being below my sodium. I doubled my water Monday and by Tuesday the 4 lbs were gone! Drink extra water for a couple of days and flush the retention out. Also, you should weigh in the morning before you eat or drink and after using the restroom. This is your true weight, as food can add different amounts of weight each day depending on what you ate.
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 72
    Options
    You are doing great, don't give up now!!!!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    also try weighing in the morning, i usually dont weigh at night, but i did last night jsut for grins and it showed one weight, the next morning i weighed before consuming anything etc and the weight was different by 4lbs....my morning weight stays consistent or goes down regulalrly but weighing in the middle of the day or at night causes the numbers to go everywhere. Dont give up!! Your body does appreciate what you are doing.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the specifics I can only suggest possbly upping your fiber and protein a little, try to keep your NET calories around 1200 which means you'll probably need to add another meal or snack to your schedule, I think you're asking your body to do a lot of work but you're not giving it enough fuel to handle the task... I had this same problem about week 2ish, but I worked through it!! You can too!!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't make any sense, but sometimes our bodies are just a little stubborn. I think it wants to make sure you are acutally going to follow through with your changes before it starts to cooperate! You've only been at it for 2 weeks. I started training for a half marathon last year and didn't see ANY results for 6 weeks and I was burning some serious calories. Same thing this year. Just keep at it and be consistant. It'll start coming off eventually. Best of luck!
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    then last night i decided to weight myself and it says that i gained 3 lbs. i dnt even know how that is possible. I'm thinking of giving up. i feel like a failure :frown: :sad:

You are soooo not a failure, so please do not give up. Night time is not the best time to weigh yourself. You should weigh yourself first thing in the morning when ur body is emptied out. That way you will get a better assessment of how you are doing. It's hard when you are first starting, believe me I know. Keep your head up and keep doing what you're doing. It can only get better dear.
  • firedrgn2000
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP. It is NORMAL at the start of a new workout to gain weight. You are building muscle, it takes about 12 weeks before you will start to see a drop. Stay away from the scale and keep doing what you are doing. You will lose the weight. You are doing GREAT.
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging at times. But never give up! focus on being healthier instead of just weight. The calories are a part of it but where and when you get the calaries is also important. My doctor gave me a great thing to help me remember what's best to eat. Fruit, veggies, fins, and feathers. The closer to it's original form the better. Also, if you are on any medications that can effect your weight loss. I wasn't loosing the way I thought I should but when I checked my measurements I lost an inch off my abs and an inch of my hips.

Don't get discouraged, get determined.