P90X V. Gym & Cardio

Options
nirsky
nirsky Posts: 38 Member
P90X V. Gym & Cardio
Hi all,
So I started doing P90X (two day under my belt :laugh: )
Since the program take 3 months of 6 days training, do you guys think I should freeze my gym membership and give %100 of my time to P90X?
Or should I do one week P90X, one week gym weights & cardio?
Thx.

Replies

• kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    Options
    I do both just to switch it up...I have a treadmill and elliptical at home (no gym membership)
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would give 100% to P90X...see how it works for you...the Gym will still be there if you want to go back after 3 months :smile:
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    P90X is pretty intense, not sure you'll need the gym. I guess it depends on your level of fitness. The main thing if you do both you will really need to monitor your calorie intake and make sure you are eating enough.
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    P90X is totally worth it, I'd shove yourself into it head first!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well if you're able to even freeze your gym account. My gym (LA Fitness) still wants to charge a fee even if you want to freeze it. They suck in that way... Anyway, I still have my gym membership to add in extra cardio so that I can continue to train for my 5K races. You may want to get in double workouts during the summer. We do P90X in the morning and I run at lunch on the weekends. I think that for your first round you should complete the P90X as it is laid out and then add to it for more of a challenge.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would give 100% to P90X...see how it works for you...the Gym will still be there if you want to go back after 3 months :smile:

agreed, and once you finish a round (90 days)then maybe do both gym and P90x.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I say it depends on how dedicated you are to one or the other.. or both.. I've done the week rotation with P90X and the gym just because I get bored doing the workout at home and cannot stay motivated to stick with it. Because of the fact I work at the gym I spend most of my time there so it's easier for me to stay committed more so to the gym routines... but when all else fails and I can't get my workouts in I can always rely on my DVD's at home. If you don't have this kind of problem, I say stick with the P90X 100%.. there seems to be a more dramatic effect in results that way. Best of luck to you and find what works best!
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    I do some P90X (mostly my "weight training" days) and on cardio days I'm training for a 1/2 marathon so I run outside or at the gym. I also bought myself a portable dvd player to use in the gym I have at work so I can do the weights routine there. :-)
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Here's my two cents. I also am a p90x guy and I maintain a gym membership. I have found that there is no way I can do the p90x workouts 6 days a week. Typically after the plyometrics workout I need a day off cause my body is beat up. On those days that I don't do the p90x I go to the gym and do either heavy compound moves furthuring the muscle confusion theory or a nice long fat burn on the elliptical. I keep my heart rate around 120ish and try to go for 90 minutes. Over time you'll find what works. All the best.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Do you have the weights and pull up bar that you need at home for the P90X strength workouts? If so, I would stick with just P90X at home for the first 90 days, doing the schedule as it is laid out.

Are you doing the Lean version or the Classic version?
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Totally agree!! Give P90X your all, you'll be glad you did! :)