Can you explain why I wake up in the middle of the night RAVENOUS???

Options

I eat dinner at around 6pm, go to bed around 8pm, and wake up around 4am. If I sleep straight through the night, I wake up not feeling hungry at all. I go to the gym, have coffee, and don't have breakfast until I'm hungry....about 9 or 10am.

However, when my sleep is disturbed and I awake in the middle of the night, I am RAVENOUS. Like, so hungry by stomach feels like it is eating itself and I could eat a 5 course meal.

Can someone please explain the physiology behind this? Why am I starving 4-6 hours after eating dinner ONLY when I wake up from sleep, but am fine 12-15 hours after eating dinner when I sleep undisturbed? Has anyone else experienced this and found any solutions to these unexplainable midnight hunger pains?

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Perhaps allow room for a snack after dinner?

It's hard to say, because our bodies are all so different. Just kinda play around and see what works for you. Some people prefer to eat light dinners. Me, I like a big dinner and lotsa snacking throughout the day, because night time is when I get munchies and boredom snacks.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    I eat dinner at around 6pm, go to bed around 8pm, and wake up around 4am. If I sleep straight through the night, I wake up not feeling hungry at all. I go to the gym, have coffee, and don't have breakfast until I'm hungry....about 9 or 10am.

However, when my sleep is disturbed and I awake in the middle of the night, I am RAVENOUS. Like, so hungry by stomach feels like it is eating itself and I could eat a 5 course meal.

Can someone please explain the physiology behind this? Why am I starving 4-6 hours after eating dinner ONLY when I wake up from sleep, but am fine 12-15 hours after eating dinner when I sleep undisturbed? Has anyone else experienced this and found any solutions to these unexplainable midnight hunger pains?

I would like to know specifics as well, because that is what happens to me - especially if I've been in a dead sleep, and not just tossing around. It's horrible - could eat an entire meal at 2 a.m when that happens!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories throughout the day maybe(?)
    I make sure to have a big dinner and maybe a snack an hour before bed.
    I always wake up in the middle of the night (to use the Toilet :blush: ), but i never have this hunger problem.
    Maybe have a Dessert with dinner.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it, but I've noticed the same thing -- I'm starving for breakfast on days when I wake up between 4AM and 5AM, but days when I sleep until 6:30 I'm just fine. I chalk it up to "a Circadian thing" and shrug it off.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is your sleep disturbed from outside sources (stormy/windy weather, house noises, toilet flushing), or are you waking up on your own? If you're waking up on your own, I'd say it's because your body is wanting food.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot as well. I like it because I have associated that hunger feeling with success. I know, weird. I get up and drink a large glass of ice lemon water and then go back to bed. No science here, but it works for me.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For those suggesting to eat more calories, the thing is, I'm not going to bed hungry at all. I'm satisfied from dinner by the time I hop into bed.

The nights I wake up in extreme hunger are nights when I'm disturbed by outside sources, not naturally waking up on my own. It doesn't happen too often, but happened last night and got me trying to figure this midnight mystery out! =)

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    What time do you have to wake up in the morning? I ask, because if you're going to bed at 8pm, 4am would be a good 8 hours of rest!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    What time do you have to wake up in the morning? I ask, because if you're going to bed at 8pm, 4am would be a good 8 hours of rest!

4am is the wake up time.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We know that during sleep, the body switches over to a fasting state. Part of this process is switching over to how the body uses its fuel stores.

My educated guess would be that, when sleep interrupted, you are waking up before or during that transition process, and feeling the associated hunger that triggers/is part of it. Normally, this is not evident to you because you are not conscious.
  • fairy2b
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    We know that during sleep, the body switches over to a fasting state. Part of this process is switching over to how the body uses its fuel stores.

My educated guess would be that, when sleep interrupted, you are waking up before or during that transition process, and feeling the associated hunger that triggers/is part of it. Normally, this is not evident to you because you are not conscious.

That's a great guess and makes sense! Thanks for sharing!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned low blood sugar. I am diabetic and if I am ever low in the middle of the night I wake up like you described. Even if you aren't diabetic you could have hypoglycemia. The only way to really know for sure though is to test with a meter when you feel like that. Not the best option if you don't have a meter.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned low blood sugar. I am diabetic and if I am ever low in the middle of the night I wake up like you described. Even if you aren't diabetic you could have hypoglycemia. The only way to really know for sure though is to test with a meter when you feel like that. Not the best option if you don't have a meter.

I have a similar take on the matter as brendak76. If the OP, fairy2b, is diabetic/pre-diabetic/insulin resistant, then hypoglycemia is possible.

Since you are going to bed only two hours after you start eating (barely one hour after you finish eating?), you are shutting down your metabolism just as it is primed to do work. This leaves a lot of glucose in your blood. Your pancreas then releases a lot of insulin. The "dawn effect" causes your liver to release glucose right before you normally wake up. That is what gives you your morning energy. So if you wake up early, your body may be in a state of hyperinsulinemia or hypoglycemia.

I would either try eating an hour earlier or changing your evening macros or glycemic index of the carbs you eat. Increasing or decreasing the amount of carbs may do the trick. And, you know, a glucose tolerance test might be in order.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why that happens sometimes, but when it does I drink 8 Oz of skim milk. Not a ton of calories but the combo of slow and fast digesting protein fills me up enough to get to sleep.
  • BigLifter10
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have a similar take on the matter as brendak76. If the OP, fairy2b, is diabetic/pre-diabetic/insulin resistant, then hypoglycemia is possible.

Since you are going to bed only two hours after you start eating (barely one hour after you finish eating?), you are shutting down your metabolism just as it is primed to do work. This leaves a lot of glucose in your blood. Your pancreas then releases a lot of insulin. The "dawn effect" causes your liver to release glucose right before you normally wake up. That is what gives you your morning energy. So if you wake up early, your body may be in a state of hyperinsulinemia or hypoglycemia.

I would either try eating an hour earlier or changing your evening macros or glycemic index of the carbs you eat. Increasing or decreasing the amount of carbs may do the trick. And, you know, a glucose tolerance test might be in order.

This makes a lot of sense. I just had a fasting glucose done two weeks ago and it came back high 90s, I had been 'carbing up' for lifting the next morning (not the morning of the test). Docs suggested to not have a lot of carbs before bed. So far, so good as I've been doing this. I like your description of it though. Hmmm, something to think about.
  • fairy2b
    Options
    Oh man! It's always the carbs (my favorite) that seem to be the culprit! LOL =)
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am also going to mention blood sugar issues. My first thought when I read this was dawn effect. Might be worth getting some blood work to find out for sure.
  • fairy2b
    Options
    Is this a particular blood test that is separate from normal annual labs that I need to request? Everything came back normal last year when I did my standard annual blood test.

• BigLifter10
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    Is this a particular blood test that is separate from normal annual labs that I need to request? Everything came back normal last year when I did my standard annual blood test.

I got mine via the physical (the lab was told and I showed up two days later). You could always ask for a fasting glucose. They will ask why, you tell them and then they can go through why you might need it. Usually they don't just say, ok....here ya go. In my case, my doc knows I'm into physique and knows I sometimes don't sleep well. She also knows I 'carb up' occasionally. So it was a no-brainer for me to have it done. Your case will most likely be different. If the fasting glucose turns up high, they will do an A1C to get an average of the last 3 months of your blood sugars.

At least if you call in and maybe talk to a nurse, you can use that as your start point. You could also ask a pharmacist about it and see what they think. They are supposed to be knowledgeable on some things like that. I am not sure if a pharmacy actually test blood glucose though (other than the meters they sell).
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options

This makes a lot of sense. I just had a fasting glucose done two weeks ago and it came back high 90s, I had been 'carbing up' for lifting the next morning (not the morning of the test). Docs suggested to not have a lot of carbs before bed. So far, so good as I've been doing this. I like your description of it though. Hmmm, something to think about.

If you have high triglycerides in addition to this (as well as elevated hA1C levels), you could be prediabetic. I don't have the elevated A1C levels yet, but I've got high 90's on my fasting bloodwork as well. No need to carb up when you're lifting the next day. Maybe drink a juice or protein drink just prior (an hour or so), but not the night before. Have you had any difficulties in losing the weight when you eat loads of carbs? I found that as soon as I went to a lower carb diet, the lbs started coming off way easier. The reason for this is the insulin resistance. It's something to consider.