Coffee Drinkers - How do you prepare your coffee at home to avoid places like Starbucks?

Options
Just as the title says. It's so obvious that it's much healthier (and cheaper!) to make your own at home. And while I understand people can simply like it black, I'm more curious as to what other 'recipes' people have up their sleeves for this. Thanks!

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use 1Tbsp sugar-free French Vanilla creamer (Coffeemate)
    I only occasionally like a really 'fancy' coffee.
    I can't drink coffee black, I have tried ... not happening.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've never liked Starbucks, though oddly I use their coffee at home.

I just have a cup with two sugar in the raw packets, and a tsp of hot chocolate mix. I'm not trying to replace Starbucks though, so I'm probably not much help.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes put creamer in it, but I figure that, if you're going to load your coffee down with sugar and cream, you don't actually like coffee. Real coffee drinkers drink it black.
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes put creamer in it, but I figure that, if you're going to load your coffee down with sugar and cream, you don't actually like coffee. Real coffee drinkers drink it black.

i guess i kind of fail when i put in the subject that i realize this, but am curious about other options, and then I get the answer I said i already knew about.

Not trying to completely bash you, but this wasn't helpful.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just put a tablespoon of creamer (sugar-free hazelnut for preference, though I do mix it up) into each 16oz mug. I think it took me a couple of months to scale down my creamer use, but that was years ago -- long before I was even trying to lose weight. At work I have it black with one Splenda packet.
  • super_b_star
    Options

I just have a cup with two sugar in the raw packets, and a tsp of hot chocolate mix. I'm not trying to replace Starbucks though, so I'm probably not much help.

I use basic,generic, Folger's coffee. Do you think that using other grounds make a world of difference in quality? I'm sure it must, although I'm too afraid to try. Afraid of not liking it and it ends up being a waste of money because I don't know what to look for :(
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Real coffee drinkers drink coffee. :)

OP - I used to load up on the creamer too. I just started slowly cutting back and now I really love it black. But try a bit of hot chocolate mix if you like chocolate. You might be surprised :)
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just as the title says. It's so obvious that it's much healthier (and cheaper!) to make your own at home. And while I understand people can simply like it black, I'm more curious as to what other 'recipes' people have up their sleeves for this. Thanks!

Starbucks serves brewed coffee and espressos Drink it "black" no cream or sweeteners. Still cheaper to brew at home but you can drink "healthy" at the 'bucks. Try a lighter roast if you're not used to drinking black. It's not usually as bitter...though Starbucks coffee is all pretty bitter in my opinion.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar takes out the bitterness better than white sugar. I use brown sugar and creamer - usually caramel or almond joy. I like my coffee so sweet that I don't drink it every day haha.
  • WMLizard
    WMLizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bought the Starbucks sugar-free syrups. So that way I can make something pretty similar on my own. I don't have exact amounts since I transferred the syrups to smaller bottles for work, but I'll squeeze in two squirts, 10 oz of coffee, 4 splendas, and 2 T of half-and-half. Does it replace a latte totally? No, but I never liked spending the money for a latte anyway. It does stop me from going across the street and getting flavored coffee at Starbucks, because I can make it at my desk.

And yes, I know there are people who like "real" coffee and drink it black - I don't. But I DO like this combination, so whether or not it's "real" coffee I don't see why I would stop drinking it.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I worked at Starbucks for 4 years and still I drank my coffee black even while on the clock. We do a french press at home because it gives black coffee more flavor. If I feel I need an extra something I put cold 2% in it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I use basic,generic, Folger's coffee. Do you think that using other grounds make a world of difference in quality? I'm sure it must, although I'm too afraid to try. Afraid of not liking it and it ends up being a waste of money because I don't know what to look for :(

IMO yes, it does.

How strong do you like your coffee? If not very, you want a light roast - I like a medium roast (so I buy Starbucks House Blend). If you like a really strong flavor, you'd go for a dark roast.

You should play around with different blends, see what you like. If you don't like a particular brand/blend - mix it with your Folgers so you won't waste it.

You also might try a flavored coffee - though they tend to be a bit more bitter, IMO.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to use creamer and Stevia but I finally was able to kick that habit by buying GOOD coffee. Whole Bean, so I grind it myself and drink it black. And I love it. You have to be sure to buy good coffee though, not cheapo coffee or regular ol' Folgers, but the GOOD stuff :) I am saving tons of calories by making this switch.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Coffee can have radical differences in flavor depending on the beans and the roast. Sugar and cream will mask those flavors so really if you want new recipes...try different beans and roasts.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I buy the Torani sugar free caramel syrup, brew a pot at home, add some whole milk (it's much better than the reduced fat), weight out 75 grams of milk, add 2 cups of coffee to my mug and 30 mg of the caramel syrup! It's about 50 calories total and I drink it all morning.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I drink it black, iced, with cinnamon. For whatever reason iced tastes less harsh than hot. And cinnamon cuts down on the bitterness. It almost tastes sweet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I prepare mine with 3/4 screaming-hot, triple-processed coconut oil and a cup of melted butter, because I'm paleo like that.

Naw, just some good ol' Peet's grounds with a splash of whole milk and a tiny dash of sugar.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    I drink it black, iced, with cinnamon. For whatever reason iced tastes less harsh than hot. And cinnamon cuts down on the bitterness. It almost tastes sweet.

Ohh cinnamon. I'll have to try that!
  • super_b_star
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Coffee can have radical differences in flavor depending on the beans and the roast. Sugar and cream will mask those flavors so really if you want new recipes...try different beans and roasts.

I'm from Minnesota, so we have Caribou Coffee here. My mother-in-law once got me a bag of some sort of mocha grounded coffee, and i HATED it, even with the dollop of creamer i used regularly like i do with my bland Folgers. She saw the word 'mocha' and thought that would be enough.

I definitely will have to explore my taste buds on different beans for sure
  • super_b_star
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »

Ohh cinnamon. I'll have to try that!

This sounds interesting for sure :)