Coffee Drinkers - How do you prepare your coffee at home to avoid places like Starbucks?

Options

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this in a while, but last summer I was drinking iced coffee with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and SF caramel syrup. If I closed my eyes, it allllmost tasted like a caramel macchiato.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hot cocoa packet, 1 tbsp half and half, 1 tbsp flavored creamer, fill with coffee.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Im addicted to their java chip so I have mastered it at home for about 200 calories
    1/2 c double strength coffee chilled
    1/2 cup regular almond milk (30 cal)
    2 tablespoons hersheys syrup (100 cal)
    1/8 tsp xanthan gum (target sells it, helps keep it from separating)
    Ice. Blend and then add 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (70 calories) And blend quickly just to break them up.
    Viola!!! Delicious!!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that drinkss bulletproof coffee (coconut oil and milk/cream) but she can drink black if it's good coffee. I drink coffee that's an insult to coffee drinkers, which means it usually has a good deal of sugar/milk so I don't drink it often (and I find most store bought creamers are bland and tasteless). My favorite mix is International Delights Salted Caramel Mocha, which is similar to the one Starbucks makes. I've made a copycat recipe I found on pinterest when I can't find it (it's seasonal, dangit), and it's not bad, but not quite the same. I'd go to the googles and see what you can find.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just as the title says. It's so obvious that it's much healthier (and cheaper!) to make your own at home. And while I understand people can simply like it black, I'm more curious as to what other 'recipes' people have up their sleeves for this. Thanks!

Quarter cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a tablespoon of creamer, usually hazelnut. I want to try cashew milk, because I've heard good things.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Sumatra (dark) with raw sugar and cinnamon. To cool it off, sometimes some soy milk.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1 cup
    Fill with coffee.
    Melt into kitchen chair.
    Enjoy.
    Then go shovel horse and cow poop.

I just couldnt end it at ,coffee black. its my creative side,,LOL
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon of instant coffee
    Hot water
    Dash of milk

Repeat about 12 times a day.
  • donut0420
    donut0420 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Turkish. Medium sweet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - I buy good quality, whole bean coffee
    - I ground that coffee fresh every evening before bed
    - I get up and press "start" on my coffee maker
    - I poor myself a cup of quality coffee with a splash of milk
    - I step out onto patio with said cup of coffee and watch the sunrise before jumping into the shower

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that cold coffee tastes better too. It's all I drink these days. I make a pot and make enough for 2-3 days worth of coffee. It keeps perfect in the fridge and a quick great way to make iced coffee!
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use my keurig everyday. I need 2 cups before I can function. I use around 2 TBS of a creamer of my choice. I have been using sugar-free french vanilla coffee mate lately. I am used to the flavor of smaller amounts of creamer. When I go to Starbucks i get a "skinny" coffee, so skinny latte or skinny mocha with extra shots. Its less calories and still tasty.
  • mcclousen77
    mcclousen77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just drink folgers w coffee mate. About 3 tbsp. I know, I'm bad.
  • desertfox57
    desertfox57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    grind my own beans, usually 1/2 vanilla nut and 1/2 regular roast. Daily is non fat 1/2 and 1/2, about 2 TLB and stevia. On weekends we put in ground cinnamon and anise. Haven't learned to like black coffee, something about that creaminess with the edge of bitter that my taste buds love. Also, we make a big pot and then then use the leftovers for iced coffee the next morning (we live in Phoenix).
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use half and half and sweeten with honey. Using half and half I don't pour as much. :smile:
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use my keurig everyday. I need 2 cups before I can function. I use around 2 TBS of a creamer of my choice. I have been using sugar-free french vanilla coffee mate lately. I am used to the flavor of smaller amounts of creamer. When I go to Starbucks i get a "skinny" coffee, so skinny latte or skinny mocha with extra shots. Its less calories and still tasty.
    This is all me as well. Except I refuse to drink sugar free creamer at home. 2 tblspoons if regular french vanilla is 70 calories and it is worth every one of them. I tried to like sugar free and just cant stomach it. I do the skinnys at starbucks though to keep the calories down and only get 3 pumps in a venti skinny vanilla latte.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I was using the almond joy creamer (or other flavors - that one was my favorite).
    I was also drinking a protein shake in the morning after my workout.

I did away with the creamer. Now I shake up my protein with almond milk and use that as my "creamer". It isn't as sweet, but I got used to it.
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I buy a Kona blend at Sprouts and grind it in the store. I drink it black (sorry notsorry if that isn't deemed "helpful" per the OPs standards).

@super_b_star - you may want to buy bulk coffee at a place like Sprouts where you can buy a little and try it out. Making coffee at home is a learning curve - you need to get the proportions between coffee and water just so. I'm a big fan of Sprouts Kona blend which is a medium roast. It took me a long time to get to straight black coffee but it was all a matter of finding the beans and proportions. Don't be fooled by "flavored" beans - they are more of an essence than a straight up flavor. You can also return everything to Trader Joe's so if you buy something and don't like it no loss.

Good luck!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most of the time I have it black...but once in a while I will microwave some milk (whole, 2%, or even unsweetened almond) and add a teaspoon or two of unsweetened cocoa powder and a little stevia to make a mocha. I will do this with french press coffee, or if I am being really ambitious use the moka pot. I may or may not add vanilla extract and often add cinnamon. If I really want to get complicated, I will froth the milk as well with a battery powered hand frother.
  • stmille
    stmille Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I normally drink about 350mL of black coffee in the morning. Fresh clean water and freshly roasted beans used within their optimal lifespan (5-7 days) is key.

I use a number of different methods of extraction but I find myself going back to a pour-over Hario V60. I grind medium-fine and use a ratio of about 1:16 grams of coffee grounds to water--so around 22g for 350mL of water at a temperature of about 90C. The pour-over should take about 3 minutes or so for the ideal grind and extraction.

Yes it's a somewhat junior high school science project approach to coffee, but the method ensures a solid baseline for judging different types of coffee and the ritual itself (I find, anyways) is perfect way to get started in the morning.