Exhaustion

Options
Ever have a day where you just feel exhausted? I got up at my usual time (520). I went to the gym, I could not even muster 5 push ups. My body just couldn't do it. I went home. I feel like I've failed. But, tomorrow is another day...

Replies

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Most days unfortunately. I'm waiting to feel better. I mean I feel some better, but I still have a long way to go. Been logging about 97 days, been doing P90 60 days.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the recipe for a rest day! Just think, while you're chillaxing for the day, your muscles are busy repairing themselves, building themselves stronger. You've got to give them a chance to do that, and you'll come back all the better for it!
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I have a lighter than usual dinner (500 cals or under), that I'm not nearly as energized at the gym the next morning.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Some days your body just tells you to rest. Listen to it and take that day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you have rest scheduled into your fitness regimen...it's kind of important.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't schedule rest days but wait till that happens ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If I am eating well and resting well, then no, not really. Are you eating enough? Are you sleeping? Do you have other stresses going on which are zapping your energy?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I def have days like this. I just give myself a free pass and let my body rest.
  • micheledemetroff
    micheledemetroff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    If I am eating well and resting well, then no, not really. Are you eating enough? Are you sleeping? Do you have other stresses going on which are zapping your energy?

Nothing that strikes me as odd. The usual working mom of two kids and a supportive hubby. I eat enough and I'm never hungry. (around 1600 or so calories a day) I am active all day (I am a nurse at a doctor's office). I also work in one rest day a week (usually sunday) but I guess my body needed that extra day this week.
  • micheledemetroff
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sure do! typically sundays...I guess my body was ready before then this week.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We ALL have had this experience. Some days, your body really is just not feeling it for whatever reason. Instead of pushing your body too hard and ending up ill or injured, it's better to just call it a day, head home, and give your body an obviously needed rest. Focus on getting in nutritious food to replenish your energy levels, and a little bit or relaxation, such as some light yoga, or maybe even a calm walk just around the block. Plan on hitting bed early if at all possible and let your body recharge! There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with rest days. Your body needs them to heal and get stronger, and without them your progress and body will suffer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sure do! typically sundays...I guess my body was ready before then this week.

That's good...and yes, sometimes you need more rest. I typically take one rest day but sometimes I take two. Every 2-3 months or so (or as needed) I also typically just take a week to de-load and de-stress my body...I don't sit around doing nothing, but I mostly do a lot of walking and some yoga...no lifting, no riding, no running, etc...just take it easy.
  • micheledemetroff
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just felt like kind of a failure...but realize resting our body is important!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of days like that when I first started CICO. It turned out I was not eating nearly enough to sustain my activity level.

last night at the dojo the thin and "fit" people I was working out with were out of gas about an hour before I was. Sensei found it amusing that not only was I not tired but I was still increasing intensity. Today the scale registered down another 2 pounds. :)

Make sure you have your settings set to match your actual activity level and that you are eating enough to sustain that activity. Also rest/sleep and water are really important.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just felt like kind of a failure...but realize resting our body is important!
    Definitely! We all have days like that. Listen to your body and just take it easy. I also sometimes have bad days running. 1/4 mile in and my legs already feel like lead. I just walk more and realize that tomorrow's another day!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If im not up to it that day because it doesnt feel right then I go home because I know persevering is likely to set me back more than having an extra days rest. Not performing at your best also sucks. Not a fail at all just you looking after yourself. You should know when its genuine or not.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes you just hit a wall. I'm typing this instead of doing my nightly walk because tonight my body was just like "Nope." I'll come back with that much more energy tomorrow for having given myself a night off to regenerate a little.
  • micheledemetroff
    Options
    I had a couple of days like that when I first started CICO. It turned out I was not eating nearly enough to sustain my activity level.

last night at the dojo the thin and "fit" people I was working out with were out of gas about an hour before I was. Sensei found it amusing that not only was I not tired but I was still increasing intensity. Today the scale registered down another 2 pounds. :)

Make sure you have your settings set to match your actual activity level and that you are eating enough to sustain that activity. Also rest/sleep and water are really important.

I think my activity level is set properly. I set it at lightly active, due to the fact that I walk most of the day at work. I do work out for around an hour and 15 minutes 5-6 days a week, should i be setting it higher? My goal calories are 1690, and I don't eat back my workout calories.
  • micheledemetroff
    Options

I think my activity level is set properly. I set it at lightly active, due to the fact that I walk most of the day at work. I do work out for around an hour and 15 minutes 5-6 days a week, should i be setting it higher? My goal calories are 1690, and I don't eat back my workout calories.

I drink 3-4 litres of water a day, all measured out and sleep fairly well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You need to be eating some of your exercise calories. MFP does not include exercise calories in it's calculations, so when you do exercise, you need to eat more. That said, MFP tends to over estimate exercise calories so it is smart to not eat them all. But you should be eating some, and this is probably part of the exhaustion.