Exercise and fibromyalgia

Options
i recently got diagnosed with fibromyalgia, are there any tips on exercising, stretching, and etc with this disorder?

Replies

• divone1
    divone1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and lupus and find that indoor walking with Leslie Sansone dvd's really help me. I have alot of arthritis so walking indoors on a soft surface cushions my joints. It has made a big improvement in my physical and emotional well being.

Start slow and you will see how it does make you feel better once you get used to it. After about a 38 minute walking session I do about 10 minutes of stretching to keep the range of motion in check.

Good luck finding the right balance.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthrosis and also use Leslie Sansone exercise DVD's. Walking indoors on the thick rug is so much easier on my feet and knees than walking on the asphalt road. I started out with her DVD that had the 1 mile (20 Mins) and 2 mile (30 Mins) walks. It's actually not just walking there are light aerobic moves involved too. I feel so much better after using her workouts.
  • GlassesWoman
    GlassesWoman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started a group called "Chronically Ill and Working hard!" Your welcome to join. :) I have CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome). Too much exercise and I can relapse, too little and I lose conditioning. These gals have some good advice as my cousin, who has fibro, and I swap tips. Leslie Sansone was my go to. I can't use her during flare-ups, but I can use that kind of light exercising other times. The biggest thing for you to start with is PACING. That means not pushing your body on rough days and doing less than you could on good days. Listening to how you feel instead of "what I should do" (because that's guilt and usually involves comparing yourself to others) is the first step. Also, with Fibro, you might want to consider changing your diet one step at a time. I felt much better when I started eating gluten and dairy free. I started only gluten free, and when I got in that habit after six months or so I moved on to dairy free. During that time I added a lot more cruciferous veggies which are anti-inflammatory. Good places to start! Don't compete with yourself or others and just go slowly into changing your life.
  • WhitneyJo90
    WhitneyJo90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I will have to look into the videos for indoor walking because at the moment it sounds a lot better than the "warriors pose" lol. I do need to change my diet and I am slowly getting better with what I eat. I'm using My Fitness Pal right now and it's starting to shine a light on my daily intake. Seems to be going pretty well so far! How would I join your group GlassesWoman?

Thanks again ladies, your stories give me hope <3
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with fibro for 10 years now. I've tried everything & what has worked the best for me is being active, stretching, & most recently now going on 5 months eating gluten free. I have an open diary if anyone wants to take a peek. Add