I don't want my exercise calories added to my total remaining food calories....

Options
2»

Replies

• kwolseth
    kwolseth Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    This is going to blow your mind guys, but here's the super secret hack I came up with for this. Are you ready?

I.... don't log my exercise. !!!

Love this. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" or TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

If you are following MFP's suggest caloric intake, please eat the calories back. If you follow TDEE you base calories will be higher, then just log cals as 1.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    This is going to blow your mind guys, but here's the super secret hack I came up with for this. Are you ready?

I.... don't log my exercise. !!!
    And this is the correct answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WHPFORD
    WHPFORD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry then don't eat them back. But if you are hungry you should eat them back assuming your calorie estimates for intake and burn are accurate. The reason it works is because when you burn off too much more than you consume your body basically thinks that there is a food shortage and will lower your metabolism and focus on fat storage...favoring muscle loss over fat loss. And if you are hungry you are more likely to eat whatever junk is easiest to grab; especially sugars. I've used this method before and lost weight, without being hungry! The only reason i've gained the weight back is health related including pregnancy....working on fixing that now.