L5 Disc Herniation/Protrusion

Options
Hi!

I haven't consistently worked out for years, ever since my back had started hurting. Typically when I try to start a workout regime, my back gets sore within the first week due to a herniated L5 disc. Has anyone had a similar injury where they have had success with certain workouts?

Thanks!

Replies

• scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mine was never herniated, just bulged. I started with walking and yoga, gradually increasing to hiking and weightlifting. Yoga with an instructor who is qualified to deal with injuries is the best starting point I've found.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated L5 disk, ended up going in for surgery because nothing I was doing seemed to alleviate the pain. Even after the surgery, recovery took a significant time due to being overweight. What helped me most is losing almost 80 lbs in the past 9 months with a mix of watching what I eat as well as exercise, focusing on cardio and strength training of core muscle groups. However it is best to work with your doctor to find out what is recommended for you.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I herniated four discs (lowest three and a middle) all at once, when I was 30 years old. Recovery took about a year, with massage therapy (it was painful, let me tell you) and chiropractic adjustments three times/week. I have some nerve damage in my right foot ("drop-foot") going up my right shin that is permanent from the discs (I originally had sciatic nerve damage along the entire right leg). But other than that, I started feeling pretty normal after that recovery period. No surgery either (the neurosurgeon said there were too many discs involved, he couldn't operate on all of them; and picking just one wasn't a good option either).

It has not stopped me from anything, other than that horrible recovery time when everything stopped. I guess I'm lucky. The one thing I really can't do is excessive sports that place an emphasis on balance on my right leg, i.e. I have a really hard time water skiing on one ski, and even two skis due to the unequal strength in the two feet. But since I moved from Minnesota to Arizona, I have no particular need, desire, or chances to water ski. :wink: I'm ok with it. I also have a hard time shoveling snow unless I pay close attention to not twist my back with a shovel-full of heavy snow. It's the twisting holding something heavy that is the killer (and I do shovel snow as I live in the AZ mountains, not desert).

22 years later, at 52, I took up weight lifting, and while I am no super-woman, I can deadlift, squat, bench, row, and overhead press just fine. Matter of fact, I actually think this has helped my strength so much, including my core strength, that I bet I could waterski if given the chance.

It might take time, but I think if you work with your doctor, start slow and stick with it, you should find something that works. Even when my back is achy, walking is the best for me; it really seems to work out the kinks. Biking is good too--if you get a bike fitted for you (that makes a HUGE difference; get someone to really fit you to a bike rather than just pick a bike out and go). Good luck. Work with a doctor, though--don't just take interwebz advice!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on strength/stability exercises for your entire core and work up from there. I suspect that you keep getting into trouble because you are trying to go right into an "exercise" program that your body isn't ready for. There is no guarantee, but a lot of people with herniated L5s (including myself) have been able to work back to more "regular" workouts, but you have to build the foundation first.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ElishaEp wrote: »
    I haven't consistently worked out for years, ever since my back had started hurting. Typically when I try to start a workout regime, my back gets sore within the first week due to a herniated L5 disc.

Maybe you're doing too much too soon? What does your workout involve?

Make sure to keep your abs drawn in the entire time when working out, to support your spine.
  • ElishaEp
    ElishaEp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll be talking to several personal trainers this week to get their advice. Strengthening my core is a definite must for me! I'm just not sure what good pain and bad pain is anymore because it's always there and it seems every time I do any exercise I can't move the next day. Finding a bike that fits better might be a good help and maybe I'll give yoga another try!