Exercising without running...

Options
cdskates
cdskates Posts: 49 Member
I'm not a runner. Never was. I absolutely hate it. Everybody else in my family uses it to lose weight, but even when I WAS physically fit without really trying, I hated running. And I can't join a gym, because I have NO money (literally).

Anybody out there know a good, healthy exercise that does NOT involve running?

Replies

• phnx72
    phnx72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Aerobic videos on youtube!
  • Ann_Marie_76
    Ann_Marie_76 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on her have great success with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. You can buy the dvd for around $9.
  • weldinchic
    weldinchic Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Walking! And you can check your local library for exercise videos. And where I'm from family video doesn't charge to rent exercise videos either!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Walking, biking, rollerblading, tennis (assuming the short bursts of running is ok), swimming, aerobics, cross training, dancing, kickboxing, elliptical, the list goes on and on.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could walk or bike. You could go to the library and check out fitness dvds. If you have comcast, go to ondemand and look for fitness programs.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yeah, running definitely isn't the only way to loose weight. I would do a lot of walking and even at home DVDs. I have Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it is a definite butt-kicker. Also, we have netflix and I have seen some exercise videos on there. Good luck!
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    If you cant' buy a DVD or anything else try Interval Walking ;)
  • chrisallcock
    chrisallcock Posts: 173
    Options
    ok i may get in trouble for this and its only wat ive read on here but apparently masturbating is a good calorie burner :drinker:
  • bcrawfoot
    bcrawfoot Posts: 5
    Options
    i too hate running just cant do it get very out of breath and got big boobs lol, i do power walking can walk nearly 4m/hr so work up a sweat, also i use the wii fit if u have one they r good for fitness or have u got a friend near by who has a wii can do joint work outs and give u support too sometimes can get things on recycle website can get stuff for free in yr area check it out there mayb something available :)
  • dcg8r
    dcg8r Posts: 38
    Options
    Are there any free classes in your community? Here, there is a yoga group that offers free yoga every night of the week at different community libraries. There is also a group of people who go for long walks either before work or in the evenings. Look on meetup.com - there are tons of groups on there as well (hiking, biking, swimming, dancing, aerobics, etc).

I would start with a long walk at a dedicated time, then try to branch out and see if there are others in your community who are interested in doing something active - I'm willing to bet there are, but they don't know how to find you if you don't put yourself out there. :)
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I use Gazelle I managed to catch mine at a local GNC for about $60. It's great and alot less impact on my knees another great feature it tells me how many calories I'm burning so I can keep up accurately with those.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ok i may get in trouble for this and its only wat ive read on here but apparently masturbating is a good calorie burner :drinker:

:devil:

LOL!!!!

I have to say - I always hated running. I know a lot of running haters felt a lot of success from the couch to 5K program. You should give it a try!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Of course - there is always Zumba!!!!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    The following uses only body weight exercises and requires only a pull-up bar and jump rope.

Warm-up
    • Static Stretching
    • Jump Rope (Perform in intervals, 20 seconds at HIGH intensity, 10 seconds rest, Perform 2 sets at 4 minutes each)

Workout A:
    • Body Weight Squats (hands behind head): 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Close Grip Push-ups: 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Pull-ups: 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Bridges: 3x30 seconds

Workout B:
    • Body Weight Lunges (per leg): 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Wide Grip Push-ups: 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Chin-ups: 4x10, then 1xFailure
    • Reverse Crunches: 4x10 then 1xFailure

Schedule:
    • Monday: Workout A
    • Wednesday: Workout B
    • Friday: Workout A
    • Monday: Workout B
    • Wednesday: Workout A
    • Friday: Workout B
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Both Comcast and Verizon have TONS of free workouts available OnDemand. There is everything from yoga, to high intensity cardio and kick boxing.
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everybody!!!!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    And if you can't afford to buy a DVD, try the library.