Saying NO to the talking donuts

Options
LinzNicholeV
LinzNicholeV Posts: 133 Member
I currently have about 35 more minutes until I get off work and go home (hooray!) but I'm dreading those delicious donuts I know are sitting on my kitchen counter. You know, the ones that are all, "Eat me! You know you want one!" I can't throw them away because my hubs loves them and that's not fair to him just because I can't resist. How do you all stop yourselves from eating foods that you KNOW you shouldn't, but are basically begging for it?

I'm also accepting friends for motivation, so ya know, add me :)

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Can you eat just one and work out extra hard later? That's what I'd do.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Personally, it was a looong path to get to that point, but one of the things I did, was have a yogurt cup with me and put some crushed cereal in it to eat before heading home. It took away that OMG I HAVE to have something feeling when you get in the door. Yeah, donuts.....does he have someplace special he can keep them so they are out of sight? That way if you go snooping for them....it isn't his fault for leaving them out there.. B)

Edit to add: Mine wasn't donuts....mine was a 1/2gallon of mint choc chip ice cream and then a Coke. It would end up my supper. Not good.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'd find a way to make one donut fit into my day. It's ok to eat one... there are no foods that you SHOULDN'T eat (unless of course you're allergic or something), as long as you can make it fit into your daily calories. :flowerforyou:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd work it into my calories and eat that sucker like a boss.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'd work it into my calories and eat that sucker like a boss.

1374.gif
  • LinzNicholeV
    Options
    BigLifter, the yogurt/cereal idea is really great. I'll try that in the future.

All the responses were awesome. You guys are definitely my people ;)
  • novakac
    novakac Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Um, I'd give yourself one "treat" food that you sometimes run into that's OK. So maybe it's ice cream. And you look at the donuts and say, "can't have it, it's not ice cream". That's just more pleasant than "can't have it, it's not cottage cheese". And then, if you open the freezer and there's ice cream, you say, "ah ha! It's ice cream! Totally on my diet!"
  • LeoL87
    LeoL87 Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I usually substitute it for a greek yogurt or a fruit which has sugar, but is a lot healthier than a doughnut
    a doughnut has 2.1g of protein and 11g of fat
    a Greek yogurt has 13 grams of protein and 5 fat
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a conversation with the husband.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Keep them somewhere other than the counter. Even if they are in the house, they might be easier to resist if they aren't staring you in the face.

But, if you really want a donut and can stop at just one, then have one. If one will lead to five, and five will lead to ten, then find a way to avoid them. Even if you have to ask your husband to hide them.
  • LinzNicholeV
    Options
    Maybe have a conversation with the husband.

I hate to do this because he's watched me and been supportive and seen me try and fail 100 times at losing weight, and he's always been willing to try different foods for me and change his eating for me, so now that this is my 101st go around, and since it's still very new, I don't want to be like "GET RID OF THE DONUTS!!" when he's done this 100 times for me already

Also novakac, that's actually a good idea lol
  • LinzNicholeV
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry for the double post, I'll definitely talk to him about removing them my sight :)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ryu8719 wrote: »
    I usually substitute it for a greek yogurt or a fruit which has sugar, but is a lot healthier than a doughnut

I'm sorry, greek yogurt is not a donut. I repeat, NOT A DONUT.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been told when something says "eat me" you should listen to it. It may turn a boring life into an adventure of rabbits, hookah-smoking caterpillars and tea time. Seriously, if you have enough calories in your budget just take one, or eat half a donut if you're a bit short on calories. To make it easier, eat a huge salad or a big bowl of soup before having your donut. You will be too full to have more than one anyway. There is nothing wrong with eating foods you enjoy even if they were a bit higher in calories. The trick is not to eat too much of them and/or not have them too often.
  • AnnaKeck
    AnnaKeck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I currently have about 35 more minutes until I get off work and go home (hooray!) but I'm dreading those delicious donuts I know are sitting on my kitchen counter. You know, the ones that are all, "Eat me! You know you want one!" I can't throw them away because my hubs loves them and that's not fair to him just because I can't resist. How do you all stop yourselves from eating foods that you KNOW you shouldn't, but are basically begging for it?

I'm also accepting friends for motivation, so ya know, add me :)

I am SO not the person who can have just half of one, or just one...I have to say no all the way otherwise I slide down that slippery slope like nobody's business! I know that for some people it works for them to work out extra to make up for it or just eat a little bit of it and that's awesome! Everyone is different; for me if I have one bite then I can quickly rationalize that one more little bite isn't that much difference and then it's not that much different from there to finish the donut, and then hey I already ate one, why not two?! :neutral: So I have to steer clear all the way. Having healthier snacks on hand helps me and so does eating a tiny little something on the way home (like an apple) so I don't get in the door like a ravenous hurricane thinking "GIVE ME ALL YOUR FOODS!" haha...

That being said: this might not work for your food at home, but this is my strategy at work. My office is notorious for having all the bad (but oh so good!) food laying around for everyone. We have one guy in the office who always rummages around the food and touches everything to pick out what he wants, so I always tell myself NOPE don't eat that because so and so already manhandled it! Even if I saw them put the food out fresh and he is nowhere in sight or if he's out for the day, I just tell myself that the food is gross and has cooties on it. I know I'm tricking myself, but it works for me!

At home if my husband eats ice cream, which I LOVE, I visualize how freaking long I will have to run in order to make up for the calories and I think, oh man I really do not want to run that much more tomorrow! That helps me say no too :smile:

Good luck and remember that even if you do eat that donut, it's ok! My strategies don't always work for me and I end up eating the bad stuff. We have to just move on and work on the next goal. :wink:
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a specific goal I am working towards, so I am very choosy about what I indulge in and how often. For me, a donut represents nothing but empty calories. I weigh what I could eat that I enjoy and will help me towards my goal vs that very momentary pleasure of a donut. If I am just craving something sweet, I'll eat an apple with peanut butter instead. I don't have the "a donut is in front of me therefore I must eat it" frame of mind anymore. Believe me, I used to. But because I could never stop at one I had to make some shifts in my priorties. It's just a matter of diverting your attention to a better choice. High blood sugar scares made me stop thinking it was okay to just have a donut or four. My disclaimer is that not everyone is on the same journey as I am and if the donut fits into their calories, then why the hell not? For me personally, that opens pandora's box. I say, if you are just counting calories, have the d@mn donut and work it off or compensate elsewhere and make the math work out. But if it is sabotaging your goals to have them there, kindly ask someone to throw a clean dishtowel over the box so you don't have to see them. Maybe out of sight out of mind will be enough.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ryu8719 wrote: »
    a doughnut has 2.1g of protein and 11g of fat
    a Greek yogurt has 13 grams of protein and 5 fat

^That's what I'm talking about. No, it isn't definitely not a donut! Hahaha! But if you do not really WANT the donut but seeing it makes you want something sweet, maybe you can satisfy that urge with something like this and know you did your body good rather than feel guilty for caving in or feeling bad that hubby tempted you. It's just a strategy to help you learn self control. Again, if that's what you are trying to accomplish. If you aren't, then no worries.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love donuts. Seriously, I love donuts more than any reasonable person ought to love donuts. I love yeast donuts and cake donuts and old fashioned sour cream donuts and...glazed croissants. OMG, glazed croissants.

Satan invented them just to tempt me to gluttony.

I find it's easier to avoid foods if they aren't on my counter. Make hubby keep them in a seldom used cupboard. For instance, hubby will buy candy and put it on the top shelf behind some canned goods. I know he's put it there, but if I don't see them, I have a tendency to forget it entirely.

Of course, candy isn't a donut.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Throw them away. That's what I would do. One white flour and sugar "treat" would trigger a binge. The best advice I ever got is, "Stop putting garbage in your body!" I guess you can't if you have a non-supportive spouse.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Keep them somewhere other than the counter. Even if they are in the house, they might be easier to resist if they aren't staring you in the face.

But, if you really want a donut and can stop at just one, then have one. If one will lead to five, and five will lead to ten, then find a way to avoid them. Even if you have to ask your husband to hide them.

I stick the whole box in the microwave. More to keep the cats from sitting on them than to avoid seeing them, but I do forget they're there.

I'll eat a donut if it easily fits my calories (ie, if I've run 5-6 miles) or on a weekend. I always allow extra wiggle room on weekends. And if there's post-race donuts after I run a race, I will tear that sh-t up.