"Zombies, Run!" app -- is it worthwhile?

Options
A friend of mine has recommended the "Zombies, Run!" app, as it helps motivate her while running. She's very much a beginner though, and significantly out of shape. I've also read elsewhere that it is good for beginners.

What about more experienced and/or fit people, though? Would you still recommend it?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It's a nice change way to break some monotony, but it pales fairly quickly. I wanted to use it as a "more interesting" way to do intervals, but since it doesn't have any way to set the frequency of zombie occurrences it's difficult to use as a training aid in that respect. The story length also tends to be optimized for shorter (30 or 60 minute) runs -- after that it's mostly your music tracks with occasional DJ or zombie interludes.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My background: I run 5 - 10 k several times a week (pace around 6:30 min/km for a regular run), and have done so for 3 years, along with strength training. I am maintaining for 3 years, around 130-132 lb at 5'8", female, age 37. I think I am of average fitness - there are much fitter people on here.

I downloaded it a long time ago, and used it maybe 7 or 8 times. I really dislike it, and I should have realized I would, because I'm really not into the zombie thing at all. I prefer to just zone out and listen to my music. The storyline was distracting for me, and I found myself more irritated than interested. I use the Nike running app, so I use their powersong feature when I need some extra motivation while I am running.

If you are into zombies, or you would like to focus on listening to a story (with your music interspersed - it's not a story the whole time), or you would like to do more interval training (when the zombies are after you, you have to run faster), then I think it is definitely worth it for you. I don't think it matters what fitness level you are at, because for the training, it senses what pace you are running at, and then wants you to run 20% faster (I think) when the zombies are after you.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband is an avid and in shape runner and he has that app. He uses it for a fun mental break more than anything else.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like podrunner intervals much better. Its just EDM mixed by a dj to specific BPM. I had zombies run for a minute and ended up not liking the talking aspect. The zombies made the heart rate go up but then the story was pretty weak and I became disinterested in it. If you like that idea have you listened to the we're alive podcast, radio theater meets zombies.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed Zombies, Run! If you enjoy radio plays (like the Shadow) it's very good. If you don't like listening to people talk, you won't like it. It is also interactive, you can build up your base against attacks, etc. which is fun.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Zombies, 5K is for beginners, not Zombies, Run! The 5K app is basically a Couch to 5K interval program. Zombies, Run! is an app for runners of any ability. There's a story that runs for either 30 or 60 minutes (you choose) with your music in between. You can choose to have zombie chases during that time, if you'd like, but I have those turned off. Once the story has ended, it will go into "Radio Mode" where "DJs" will do what DJs usually do between your songs, all within the construct of the "Zombie Apocolypse". I personally find the DJs very entertaining. If you were planning to run much longer you could just go to the next episode of the story instead.

I think the program is more than worth it but I find I get bored just listening to music. The added story helps to keep me entertained.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have Zombies,Run!5k and the regular Zombie run app. Love them. I get really sucked into the story.

@hill8570 - Have you tried the interval training section of the app? There are 3 default workouts and an option to create your own. I can't remember if it was something extra I paid for or not though. n6ge5huxixtd.jpg
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I have Zombies,Run!5k and the regular Zombie run app. Love them. I get really sucked into the story.

@hill8570 - Have you tried the interval training section of the app? There are 3 default workouts and an option to create your own. I can't remember if it was something extra I paid for or not though. n6ge5huxixtd.jpg
    I don't have that and I'm pretty sure I've purchased the extras available. Are you using iOS or Android?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I don't have that and I'm pretty sure I've purchased the extras available. Are you using iOS or Android?
    @SueInAz
    iOS

the only extra I don't have is the Race Missions

edit: From what I can find about it online, it seems it is currently only available to iOS users. From the Zombie,Run blog:
    We’re currently still planning how and when to bring interval training to Android, but in the meantime rest assured that the interval training mode does not contain any story essential to the main plot.

Looks like it's a $2.99 add on. I believe I purchased some sort of bundle deal for Season 3 that included it. Looking at my purchase history, I got it with the Season 3 Access Pass.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

@SueInAz
    iOS

the only extra I don't have is the Race Missions

edit: From what I can find about it online, it seems it is currently only available to iOS users. From the Zombie,Run blog:
    We’re currently still planning how and when to bring interval training to Android, but in the meantime rest assured that the interval training mode does not contain any story essential to the main plot.

Looks like it's a $2.99 add on. I believe I purchased some sort of bundle deal for Season 3 that included it. Looking at my purchase history, I got it with the Season 3 Access Pass.

Cool. I have an Android phone, obviously. My Garmin watch does intervals for me, so it's not necessary, but it sounds like an interesting feature. I've paid for season 3 and the races. I have a 5K on Saturday that I'm running alone. I'm really looking forward to trying one of the 5K races.
  • Drakhan
    Drakhan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love Zombies, Run! I started out using it to get me walking and have really enjoyed it up through season 3. But I like podcasts and things like The Archers and Welcome to Nightvale. So for me, it's a way to slip into an alternate reality while I do my morning workout. I'm looking forward to Season 4 starting soon on Android so I can try the new features and the interval training.