Differences between the Polar M400 and A300?

Options
I see the Polar A300 is out now, has anyone got one yet? What's the major difference between the A300 and M400? They seem like they are just about the same device, just that the M400 has GPS.

I see Amazon has it now here: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-90054233-Fitness-Activity-Tracker/dp/B00TXHZI9Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1425481049&sr=8-9&keywords=polar+a300

Replies

• davestic
    davestic Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just bought the M400. Since the A300 is band new its difficult to find below list. Through an online retailer I got the M400 for about $10 more than A300 list. For that differential it was an easy choice to go with the M400. Either way here's a tip...if you are using the Apple Health App you need to disable the ability for that app to write to MFP and the Polar Flow App, otherwise you will get duplication of entries on MFP. So far, I'm loving the M400. Cheers!
  • LisaAG5
    LisaAG5 Posts: 17
    Options
    The M400 is a better overall value and yes, it has GPS. The M400 also seems to give more statistical information. The A300 is a pared down version of the M400. I have had the M400 since February and really enjoy all of what it offers. Soon they will also update the software to handle smartphone notifications to the watch but I don't believe the A300 will offer the same. Here are a few differences: The M400 also ofers more detail and options including:

Interval Timer
    Interval trainer guided workouts – heart rate / distance
    Manual and automatic laps
    Sport Profiles (adjustable)
    ZonePointer
    User configurable displays
    ZoneLock

So, unless you're interested in the details, perhaps the A300 is sufficient for your needs. I prefer more detail and the upcoming updates and footpod options.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest difference between the two is the A300 reads your H7 HRM while swimming. The M400 does not support that and probably won't.
  • stellet_licht
    stellet_licht Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. Little off topic, but I'm considering getting the M400. Does anyone know if this will track activities like tennis? I know you can set it to Outdoor Workout, but is there the possibility to add custom workouts? Ideally, I don't want to go to Flow and rename sessions to correspond (not to mention, they'll be logged as "Outdoor Workout" to MFP.

Also, I like the interval function but am wondering if these can be customized? If so, can one build the interval routines on a desktop/iphone/anything but the watch (!) and then sideload to watch?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

PS, I already have the H7 but am kinda sick of carrying around my iPhone for data tracking.
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the M400. I had an F4, first thing I noted was the heart monitors were not interchangeable. So, that was another 50 bucks, next the M400 software isn't very good with its sync function between the various iPhone apps. This operation frequently fails. That probably won't be any different with the A300. It works great if hooked directly to my computer for download and my trainer who uses it with Android Apps reports none of the problems I have with the IPhone versions of the apps so it may just be an iPhone compatibility thing. The H7 heart monitor only has a 3 week battery life before it needs replacing, that is way too short in my book. I still like the M400 despite these drawbacks as it offers many data collection features which I like to track for physical and medical reasons. That said Polar still needs to work out the kinks on the device to make it truly excellent. Good luck with your choice.
  • stellet_licht
    Options
    Thanks. I seem to get a couple months out of my H7 strap. Any insights into the other things I mentioned? I think custom intervals can be imported to the watch.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I seem to get a couple months out of my H7 strap. Any insights into the other things I mentioned? I think custom intervals can be imported to the watch.

You can custom design your intervals in Flow and the sync them to the M400. You can also create custom Sport profiles in Flow and sync them to the watch and tennis is one of the available sports. Flow and MFP does not talk to each other very well. everyone of my runs sync to MFP as 9 mph (6.5 min/mile) no matter how fast or slow I run.

I changed the battery in my H7 on Friday and today it won't connect (three 30 Minute workouts) in my opinion the battery should last much, much longer than that. I don't think its the battery because I you can custom design your intervals in flow and the sync them to the M400. it with a Multimeter and it still reads 2.9v. I emailed Polar customer support this afternoon and have not got a response back yet.

Luckily I have an Adidas MiCoach BT HRM that works just fine.
  • stellet_licht
    Options
    gsh0824 wrote: »

You can custom design your intervals in Flow and the sync them to the M400. You can also create custom Sport profiles in Flow and sync them to the watch and tennis is one of the available sports. Flow and MFP does not talk to each other very well. everyone of my runs sync to MFP as 9 mph (6.5 min/mile) no matter how fast or slow I run.

I changed the battery in my H7 on Friday and today it won't connect (three 30 Minute workouts) in my opinion the battery should last much, much longer than that. I don't think its the battery because I you can custom design your intervals in flow and the sync them to the M400. it with a Multimeter and it still reads 2.9v. I emailed Polar customer support this afternoon and have not got a response back yet.

Luckily I have an Adidas MiCoach BT HRM that works just fine.

Hey GSH!

Thank you so much, very helpful. (Sorry, I just noticed this notification. I need message board training! Lol)

Too bad about the MFP sync. In my best of shape, not sure I ever broke 7.5/mi! Hopefully they'll correct. Good news about tennis. Do you know if these other custom profiles upload to MFP with they're customized info? In other words, will MFP show "S_L just played 60 min of tennis" for instance?

Lastly, I've noticed that my H7 can stay connected long after I've finished my workout, even after I've removed it. I think the sensors stay wet or something. Anyway, I've found removing the transmitter from the strap to be helpful with terminating transmission and hence battery duration. Kinda a pain though.

Thanks again.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hey,

Yes the custom profiles will sync to MFP as what ever sport you did. I did a test and setup a tennis profile on my watch and did a short test workout. After syncing to Polar Flow it automatically synced to MFP as tennis.
    9hasma39vivx.png
  • stellet_licht
    Options
    gsh0824 wrote: »
    Hey,

Yes the custom profiles will sync to MFP as what ever sport you did. I did a test and setup a tennis profile on my watch and did a short test workout. After syncing to Polar Flow it automatically synced to MFP as tennis.

Whoa! With a screenshot too!! Thank you, thank you!!

• littleblue2
    littleblue2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have an A300 and have noticed any indoor activity I do says I ran at 9mph. I had to look at it twice cause I know I only wog about 3-4 mph. But it says running even if I do general aerobics too. I find myself just trying to be grateful that at least the heart rate is right.
  • stellet_licht
    Options
    Yes, I just got mine and took my first run and it recorded to MFP as 9mph (zoinks!). Annnnd, the burned calories show up in the timeline, but my daily graph doesn't update. So they have MFP integration but all the data points are incorrect. Ay yi yi.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Is the M400 waterproof? If I want to track all of my steps, aerobics, strength training, heavy lifts, etc and occasional swimming with no need for the GPS, would the A300 be the better bet?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    AprilAY3 wrote: »
    Is the M400 waterproof? If I want to track all of my steps, aerobics, strength training, heavy lifts, etc and occasional swimming with no need for the GPS, would the A300 be the better bet?

It's water proof, but doesn't give heart rate under water. the A300 and V800 does with H7 sensor

I have the V800, and haven't had any of the problems you guys have had, It syncs to flow and MFP without a problem (IPod). Unless I was outside using the GPS, it didn't give me any MPH until I got the foot pod. My H7 battery lasts about 2 months. I've had mine since January.