Giving up sweets and after dinner snacking until June 17

Options
Hi! This is the first time I'm posting here. I am setting a goal for myself and I'm going to post my progress here nightly. I have a son who just turned one and a strong family history of diabetes. I have a few lbs to loose, but I really want to try to develop a healthier lifestyle both so I can be healthy to enjoy my son, and also to model a healthy lifestyle for him. My big vices are sweets and snacking after dinner. His birthday was two days ago, and mine is June 17. I decided a few months ago that I was going to give up both of those things between his birthday and mine. I really started this today, and so far, so good, but I'm feeling the temptation already! Anyone interested in joining me in this challenge is welcome to do so! I'm going to try my best to post my progress nightly! Thanks for your support!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Back in December after realizing I'd put on about 20lbs in a little over a year by not logging, not exercising and eating whatever, whenever I sat down and figured out what I could cut out or change. First thing was eating "free food" at work. Our Department is known for bringing donuts, cookies, bagels, etc in and leaving them for people. I had worked in a pretty high stress environment and all my "stress eating" tenancies came back. So, I cut that out. I haven't eaten anything anyone has brought in since Dec. 10th, 2014. Another thing was baked goods, anytime. It was getting crazy, I was eating tons whenever - so I cut that out. I had my first 1/2 cupcake on 117 days in (well worth breaking the trend) but none since. I highly believe that if you make an attempt to break bad habits you'll realize you are better off without them.

Now, snacking after dinner, I still do, plan it into my day. Usually a bowl of cereal or air popped pop corn around 8pm. If I don't I'm hungry when I lay down at 10pm and I can't sleep. Bad scene. I have, however, stopped the mindless snacking (the bag of chips and dip in front of the TV kind of snacking). My 8pm snack is now weighed and logged, along with all the other food for the day and it has to come in under calories.

I have lost 17lbs of the 20lbs I gained since Dec. 10th 2014 just by making a few "habit" alterations. Good luck!
  • jobailey19
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Kristen! I've also recently gained 20 lbs, but mine was from stopping breast feeding and not altering my calorie consumption at all! Also, I've recently moved closer to family and friends who like to bake!

Today went pretty well. I'm really only giving up sweets and after dinner snaking at this point, because I don't want to try to do too much at once, but rather focus on my real problem areas. My husband had me taste a small bite of icing from left over birthday cake to see if I thought it tasted weird this evening, but that's the closest I've come to a cheat so far! I've been eating tone of apples, and munching nuts at work to keep me from being supper hungry by lunch and dinner.

Tomorrow is going to be a challenge. I'm working in a different office, and will have to rush home after work to go to a fundraiser for a local school, where I'm sure they will have lots of baked goods for sale! Not sure where dinner is going to fit into that, but we'll see!
  • jobailey19
    Options
    Did good again today! Had a very healthy lunch and Stayed away from sweets again. This is day 3. Didn't have any cash at the fundraiser, so baked goods were no problem to resist! :wink: coming up on my first weekend. Wish me luck!
  • jobailey19
    Options
    Day 4: not too bad today. I had a handful of chips and a sip of coke around 9pm, which does count as after dinner snacking... Does it count if I was mooching off of my husband's snack? Oh well, back on the horse tomorrow!
  • jobailey19
    Options
    Day 4 PS: I resisted peanut butter balls, which are known to be delicious, at work today! Go me!
  • kab789
    kab789 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good job on no night time snacking after supper. I find that this is hard for me especially after the girls are in bed and my husband is out for the night, I wander around the house. I will comitt with you for no more night time snacking until June 1. Then maybe the habbit will be broken.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to stop eating after dinner. Today is day one! How are you doing? I am going to send you a friend request. :)