What electrolyte replacement drink you suggest?

Options
I'm a very salty sweater. I drink coconut water to replace electrolytes, immediately after a run. I'm not a big fan of salt, so my food kinda lacks salt but I'm trying to add a bit more to my diet now. I read that nuun salt tablets are very popular but I've read some good and very bad reviews so I'm not convinced.

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Salty sweat doesn't mean you need an electrolyte replacement. Unless you're suffering from an actual sodium deficiency, there's no reason to worry about it. Unless you experience nausea/aches/headaches, extreme fatigue, or weakness you're just fine.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    coconut water is great! You could also drink plain water with a pinch of himalayan pink salt added to it.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Salty sweat doesn't mean you need an electrolyte replacement. Unless you're suffering from an actual sodium deficiency, there's no reason to worry about it. Unless you experience nausea/aches/headaches, extreme fatigue, or weakness you're just fine.
    I do endurance running and I have a very dry mouth and I get dry skin patches. These are signs that my electrolytes aren't balanced
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water and I love the GU brew for long hot runs. They are little fizzy tabs that can just be dropped into your water that you take with you (if you do that). I also use coco hydro.
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    coconut water is great! You could also drink plain water with a pinch of himalayan pink salt added to it.
    Thank you!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nuun or Hammer Fizz
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    I use coconut water and I love the GU brew for long hot runs. They are little fizzy tabs that can just be dropped into your water that you take with you (if you do that). I also use coco hydro.
    I'll have a little research! Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do a salt tablet...

I drink coconut water and low sodium V8. for salt I eat pickles and/or drink pickle brine. After a long ride, some coconut water and usually a good dill pickle does the trick...if not, I throw down a shot of brine.
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    Cellucor Alpha Amino. Seems to turn off my thirst. Also, if mixed light (lots of water) it is neither salty nor sweet tasting, which is a big win for me because I don't like either taste.
    I'll look into that! I do drink plenty of water but the thirst seems to be more than normal lol thanks
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't do a salt tablet...

I drink coconut water and low sodium V8. for salt I eat pickles and/or drink pickle brine. After a long ride, some coconut water and usually a good dill pickle does the trick...if not, I throw down a shot of brine.
    That sounds great! The more natural the better and I love pickles lol Thanks!
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use Nuun or Zymm electrolye tablets in my bottle while doing long mountain bike rides. They are great because they are easy, no mixing and quite a light flavour compared to some of them. I will also use these if I do a longer run (1hr + ) in higher temperatures.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Water with fresh lemons. I read an article and it said the juice from one lemon, with the water you drink. It said Warm water is best, but I prefer cool refreshing water. It is also supposed to great for joints, muscle pain, etc.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Juiced apples and lemon :/ is my drink to help replenish after running. :)