Saying NO to the talking donuts

Options

Replies

• JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ask him to put them somewhere else. My husband would be taking them to work with him- I am not the sort of person who can stop at one talking doughnut. I could eat a dozen, if the chatty pastries in question were warm and from Krispy Kreme.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Throw them away. That's what I would do. One white flour and sugar "treat" would trigger a binge. The best advice I ever got is, "Stop putting garbage in your body!" I guess you can't if you have a non-supportive spouse.

gger.gif
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Throw them away. That's what I would do. One white flour and sugar "treat" would trigger a binge. The best advice I ever got is, "Stop putting garbage in your body!" I guess you can't if you have a non-supportive spouse.

It's hard. Just for sh*ts and giggles, have you EVER gone to the Dunkin Donuts website and looked at the individual nutritional info for each donut? OMG....THAT in itself stops me. I just cannot justify all that for a donut. I'd rather eat and be full. Donut, not so much.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I currently have about 35 more minutes until I get off work and go home (hooray!) but I'm dreading those delicious donuts I know are sitting on my kitchen counter. You know, the ones that are all, "Eat me! You know you want one!" I can't throw them away because my hubs loves them and that's not fair to him just because I can't resist. How do you all stop yourselves from eating foods that you KNOW you shouldn't, but are basically begging for it?

I'm also accepting friends for motivation, so ya know, add me :)

i feel ya. we got two dozen yesterday and i had one. today, i didnt go to the gym, so didnt want to use my calories for one.... but theyve been whispering all day. so far, so good.... LOLOLOL

keep strong!!! :P
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Put a towel over them. It muffles the donut voices and they can be easier to resist when you can't see them.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

gger.gif

Perfect.

• dariluzagueda23
    dariluzagueda23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work at a donut shop... I feel your pain. I have to deal with the temptation every single day of the week. :(
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If they have been sitting on the counter all day, could they be too dried out to eat...

NAAWWW, a microwave would perk them up right away...
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

gger.gif

Perfect.

;)
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Pass them my way!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the things I want for the day and make the rest of my day fit. For example, on Saturdays I watch Outlander and drink wine. In the morning, I log my wine for the evening, my coffee from breakfast, and my workout calories, then I plan my meals around the remaining calories. Planning my treats keeps me from indulging in spontaneous snacking and I don't feel deprived. If I want something really out of the ordinary, like the gelato I had last night, I make it a long run day so I can indulge! Being under my calories is literally the only thing keeping me from falling completely off the wagon; it's a set boundary that I need in order to wake up and do this again and again. If I slip a little, I end up sliding alllllll the way down. So, I log the naughty things first and adjust to make it all work.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Change your shopping habits. My SO and I do ALL of our food shopping separately, and we don't eat what the other buys.

We also prepare all of our meals separately (which isn't that hard, because she's a vegetarian and I'm not.)

Use separate cupboards for non-refrigerated food to avoid temptation.
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who "hears voices" - though mine are usually of the peanut butter variety :) The people in my house always have tempting foods lying around, but I'm usually okay if I tell myself that it's their food and not mine to eat. It sort of puts it off-limits in my eyes, probably because my food is off-limits to them, lol! I also do the "out of sight, out of mind" thing; sometimes just sticking it in a cabinet that I don't regularly open helps me forget about it. And other times, I try to work a portion of it into my daily calorie allowance. :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    How do you all stop yourselves from eating foods that you KNOW you shouldn't, but are basically begging for it?

Full-size donuts are about 350 calories each. There's just not room for a lot of that. I don't think there are any "tricks" that really apply in a sustainable way.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I currently have about 35 more minutes until I get off work and go home (hooray!) but I'm dreading those delicious donuts I know are sitting on my kitchen counter. You know, the ones that are all, "Eat me! You know you want one!" I can't throw them away because my hubs loves them and that's not fair to him just because I can't resist. How do you all stop yourselves from eating foods that you KNOW you shouldn't, but are basically begging for it?

what I like to do, is eat a fun size bag of MM's.. Until I no longer feel the urge of eating the donuts
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    depends on the doughnuts... red rabbit used to have a food cart on the way to my exercising and i would often buy one on the way.... i felt justified because a) they were vegan b) they were a little pricier so i wouldnt go lunatic on them c)id get the apple fritters so there was real fruit in them and seemed relatively decent for you... and d) because they were vegan... i do not get doughnuts at the grocery store but im powerless for the pecan empanadas... in the bakery section... possibly less justifiable but at least they are baked not fried in oil... i am not the least bit interested in dunkin or crispy creme... but the samosas from indian places and ken's doughnuts (why i thought of them) are possibly the next best thing... but because the filling is savoury are probably even more filling than regular doughnuts. theoretically you could make your own and that would limit the calories because you could control the ingredients... and while ive done so plenty of times... i am not sure if my homemade ones were really prizewinners in the low cal scale... because of the oil...

if the doughnuts are really talking to you maybe this isnt that helpful... but if you can come up with alternatives that do not make you feel deprived by the things you are staying away from that is surely better than be wracked by temptation...
  • DirrtyH
    Options

what I like to do, is eat a fun size bag of MM's.. Until I no longer feel the urge of eating the donuts

How money does this end up being? I'm not being judgy, but a regular bag of peanut m&ms you'd get from a vending machine is 250 calories, which is the same as the average Krispy Kreme. So depending on how many m&ms you end up eating, it might just be a wash.
  • Vidarsbane
    Vidarsbane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What I've found is that I'm looking at things I used to love eating like Blue M&M's and Mars Ice creams and feeling revulsion at the thought of what I'm putting in to my body by eating them. All the chemicals, processed sugars etc etc that are no good for me and ultimately will lead me to an early grave. That may be a little extreme way of looking at things but it works for me.

I'm not super strict with myself though, I allow myself one cheat meal a week with my work colleagues normally but if I have a special occasion like my friends birthday last weekend I just go with the flow and try not to get carried away.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I ask my boyfriend to keep his foods that I don't want to consume as part of my normal diet in his desk, not in our kitchen. He eats them while I game...out of sight out of mind works for me.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think you need to have a conversation about the kinds of junk food (if any) you have in the house. At home, we do not have the junk food as my wife just doesn't want it there. One of our kids does get Oreo cookies (or some equivalent) each week, but it's kept in a closet. Maybe you can phase out the donuts and other things as it's healthier not only for you but for everyone else. Maybe that's motivation, that everyone else can enjoy when you have gotten to a certain milestone or goal? Then you'll REALLY get support!

In addition, I hope you are drinking a lot of water. I find that after awhile it really does curb my appetite and help with the weight loss.