Coffee Drinkers - How do you prepare your coffee at home to avoid places like Starbucks?

Options

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a latte addict, so I invested in a bit of equipment. Best money I've ever spent! :cookie:
    1. Microwave 2.5 oz milk for 35 secs. (I leave a little measuring cup under my machine)
    2. While heating milk, put 2 pumps sugar-free/regular Torani syrup & Benefiber powder into to-go cup :smiley:
    3. Add milk to cup & froth using a hand-frother
    4. Grind beans fresh & brew 7.5 oz. medium strength espresso (strong coffee)
    Oh, I should mention my favorite cheap whole beans are EIGHT O'CLOCK. Honestly, these beans beat any of the fancy Starbucks beans, for $3 less a bag, and they even hold up against the crazy expensive Lavazza Super Crema Espresso beans that everyone raves about!

How about a little coffee song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnUzZiSEUo
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't. I like Starbucks and hate making coffee. o:)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

@katem999 - You don't happen to live in Wellington, NZ do you?

No, but I really must visit if you like your coffee like us :) (though there's probably some international debate as to who invented it first cos that's what our countries like to do)

Melbourne, Aus here
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Avoid Starbucks? Wait. What?!

Actually, my coffee needs are fairly simple and I try to stick to one ginormous fresh cup each day. I finally got a Keurig for Christmas and just use a Starbuck's pod. I use regular milk to help get my calcium and sweet n low, which is really inconsistent with my attempt to eat relatively clean. There is just something about the extra fake sweetness that makes me happy...

When I go to Starbucks, I like to get an iced latté. I have tried to replicate it but have never been able to get it right. It always tastes like I just let my coffee get cold. Why does it taste so much better from Starbucks? Has anyone else had success making good iced coffee or iced lattes?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    katem999 wrote: »
    Real coffee drinkers drink it black.

I come from a city of coffee drinkers who'd dispute that. Our most popular coffee is a flat white, followed by a latte, and then cappuccino, all of which are variations of milk-with-espresso.
    I've been considering switching my daily skinny latte to a long macchiato, but I like my frothy milky coffee too much.

What I personally don't understand is all these flavours, and cream, in coffee. But I guess that's why Starbucks had to close most of their cafes here.

My "recipe" for coffee at home is black coffee with a dash of milk, just like I make my tea :)

Completely off topic, but I love Wellington. I've been having a lot of NZ nostalgia lately. It's where I learned to appreciate beer.

On topic, I have a cup with 1tbsp on Coffeemate or 1.5 if all the tablespoons are dirty.

Wellington is awesomeness :)

No, but I really must visit if you like your coffee like us :) (though there's probably some international debate as to who invented it first cos that's what our countries like to do)

Melbourne, Aus here

Ah Melbourne would have been my second guess :) (and the cappuchino should have given it away, I don't think they're that popular here). And yes, there is considerable debate over who invented the flat white! It was big news a few months ago when US Starbucks started serving them. We're down to two Starbucks here, and apparently they're actually better than most because they have to be to survive.

We live on coffee in this city, you would love it.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have an espresso maker for lattes and a French press and Chemex for when I want to take time and produce a really good cup. Other than that, it's fresh-ground and Mr. Coffee, with cream or milk.

I will say, though, that I was pretty embarrassed when I found out that putting pumpkin spice out of the spice shaker into my coffee actually tasted better than a lot of commercially available pumpkin spice coffees. Not Starbucks', granted, but most others.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We make espresso with grounds from Peet's or a local roaster. i drink mine black, but the wife likes foam, and that is the key. If the foam is good, she is happy and does not need to bolt out the door. We bought a Kuissential milk foamer.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I come from a city of coffee drinkers who'd dispute that. Our most popular coffee is a flat white, followed by a latte, and then cappuccino, all of which are variations of milk-with-espresso.
    I've been considering switching my daily skinny latte to a long macchiato, but I like my frothy milky coffee too much.

What I personally don't understand is all these flavours, and cream, in coffee. But I guess that's why Starbucks had to close most of their cafes here.

My "recipe" for coffee at home is black coffee with a dash of milk, just like I make my tea :)

Completely off topic, but I love Wellington. I've been having a lot of NZ nostalgia lately. It's where I learned to appreciate beer.

On topic, I have a cup with 1tbsp on Coffeemate or 1.5 if all the tablespoons are dirty.

Melbourne, Aus here

Ah Melbourne would have been my second guess :) (and the cappuchino should have given it away, I don't think they're that popular here). And yes, there is considerable debate over who invented the flat white! It was big news a few months ago when US Starbucks started serving them. We're down to two Starbucks here, and apparently they're actually better than most because they have to be to survive.

Haha! I about died when I saw that Starbucks was going to be making flat whites here. And then it made me miss NZ and Australia. Double edged sword, that one.
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like adding just a little lowfat chocolate milk or some Odwalla Chocolate Protein shake to mine -- maybe 1/8 c or less.
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a French press coffee drinker, with cream and sweetener, nothing special. I do however make ice cubes with the leftover and often make iced coffee later in the day. I also keep almond syrup, I do not use it much, but now and then love having a flavored iced coffee.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Coffee can have radical differences in flavor depending on the beans and the roast. Sugar and cream will mask those flavors so really if you want new recipes...try different beans and roasts.

I'm from Minnesota, so we have Caribou Coffee here. My mother-in-law once got me a bag of some sort of mocha grounded coffee, and i HATED it, even with the dollop of creamer i used regularly like i do with my bland Folgers. She saw the word 'mocha' and thought that would be enough.

I definitely will have to explore my taste buds on different beans for sure

Folgers is my favorite too. For Christmas my mom gets me expensive stuff and I use it when my folgers French roast runs out before I make it to the store.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Black at home and an Americano from Starbucks (YAY SEATTLE)!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

Sounds like my kind of town. Sitting down for a skinny latte right now :smile:

The funniest thing about Starbucks here was when they opened one in Lygon Street, which is the centre of our Italian area, and it was 2 doors down from where the first espresso machine was brought to Australia in the 50s (and started our love affair with (proper) (Italian) coffee). That Starbucks did not do so well... (Nor did almost all the others)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Once you go black.... you sometimes go back.

I prefer mine black, but on the weekends, I sometimes get a sweet tooth.
    I'm on the search for the perfect roast (SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!).
    I like using a french press.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I always have non-fat cappuccinos, regardless if it's Starbucks, some other cafe, or at home. Easy to fit in about 100 odd calories a day :smile:
  • Lisaml7411
    Lisaml7411 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make a strong brewed coffee with my Aeropress and add 1-2 raw sugar packets. Then heat 4-8 oz milk in microwave, froth it with my stick blender, and stir into coffee. I like this so much that I don't miss coffee shops!
  • snikkins
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

The funniest thing about Starbucks here was when they opened one in Lygon Street, which is the centre of our Italian area, and it was 2 doors down from where the first espresso machine was brought to Australia in the 50s (and started our love affair with (proper) (Italian) coffee). That Starbucks did not do so well... (Nor did almost all the others)

I had a lot of fun at the Melbourne Starbucks I went to... I was still working at one and my partner card worked! Haha

I'm still jealous your talls come with 2 espresso shots.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

I had a lot of fun at the Melbourne Starbucks I went to... I was still working at one and my partner card worked! Haha

Heh, two shots of espresso is minimum most places in Wellington! If you only want one you've got to ask (and are probably greeted with a look of utter disdain).

• snikkins
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

Heh, two shots of espresso is minimum most places in Wellington! If you only want one you've got to ask (and are probably greeted with a look of utter disdain).

Our conversation was something like:
    Me: Can I have a double tall something or other?
    Barista: ... Double?
    Me: Um... Yes?
    Barista: Two shots?
    Me, now thoroughly confused: Yes? A tall with an extra shot of espresso?
    Barista: Um... a tall comes with two?
    Me: *jaw drop* No way.

I clearly need a marketable to NZ skill... Hm.
  • henrythedentist
    henrythedentist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I buy coffee from the shops - at the moment Aldi Fair trade organic. I brew it either in a plunger if I want to take some to work in a thermos, or a Vietnamese drip filter if not (http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vietnamese-coffee-filter), add a bit of a skim milk (a bit!, 10mls is plenty) and a packet of stevia (2grams) - I find more than one pack the flavour is too strong. I used to like coffee with lots of sugar or condensed milk but not anymore. In Australia we have no reason to go to Starbucks because good coffee is everywhere else. I still enjoy a flat white from time to time