Can you explain why I wake up in the middle of the night RAVENOUS???

Options
2»

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    brendak76 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned low blood sugar. I am diabetic and if I am ever low in the middle of the night I wake up like you described. Even if you aren't diabetic you could have hypoglycemia. The only way to really know for sure though is to test with a meter when you feel like that. Not the best option if you don't have a meter.

I have a similar take on the matter as brendak76. If the OP, fairy2b, is diabetic/pre-diabetic/insulin resistant, then hypoglycemia is possible.

Since you are going to bed only two hours after you start eating (barely one hour after you finish eating?), you are shutting down your metabolism just as it is primed to do work. This leaves a lot of glucose in your blood. Your pancreas then releases a lot of insulin. The "dawn effect" causes your liver to release glucose right before you normally wake up. That is what gives you your morning energy. So if you wake up early, your body may be in a state of hyperinsulinemia or hypoglycemia.

I would either try eating an hour earlier or changing your evening macros or glycemic index of the carbs you eat. Increasing or decreasing the amount of carbs may do the trick. And, you know, a glucose tolerance test might be in order.

This makes a lot of sense. I just had a fasting glucose done two weeks ago and it came back high 90s, I had been 'carbing up' for lifting the next morning (not the morning of the test). Docs suggested to not have a lot of carbs before bed. So far, so good as I've been doing this. I like your description of it though. Hmmm, something to think about.

If you have high triglycerides in addition to this (as well as elevated hA1C levels), you could be prediabetic. I don't have the elevated A1C levels yet, but I've got high 90's on my fasting bloodwork as well. No need to carb up when you're lifting the next day. Maybe drink a juice or protein drink just prior (an hour or so), but not the night before. Have you had any difficulties in losing the weight when you eat loads of carbs? I found that as soon as I went to a lower carb diet, the lbs started coming off way easier. The reason for this is the insulin resistance. It's something to consider.

No, my triglycerides are very low and all the numbers were good. Just this. I have always dropped weight very fast if I go low-carb, and that still applies. I've been having well above my carbs (up until the apt), so I'm taking action.

(sorry for the hijack)
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm yeah I do fasting blood work every year and nothing has ever been abnormal. Triglycerides were on the low range last time. I do notice I drop weight faster if I cut out carbs, but I always assumed it was an initial water weight drop. Interesting theory to consider. How does one become insulin resistant? Can this happen to a person who has no history of health problems and normal lab work?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    Hmmmm yeah I do fasting blood work every year and nothing has ever been abnormal. Triglycerides were on the low range last time. I do notice I drop weight faster if I cut out carbs, but I always assumed it was an initial water weight drop. Interesting theory to consider. How does one become insulin resistant? Can this happen to a person who has no history of health problems and normal lab work?

I don't have any history either, but the doc said, it doesn't matter. Yes, it can be genetic, but it can also be dietary or just you. My sis is 100 lbs overweight. Blood sugar at 75 - each time (fasted). Mine's always around 85, but this last one was upper 90s. I figured no history = no worries. Guess not.

For you, at least inquire - then you know and have something to work from if that's the case. If not, then you can safely look at other factors.
  • keme2016
    keme2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, until I established a good eating habit. I eat around the same time everyday and I go to bed at around the same time as well. I would suggest drinking some water when you wake up starving, because sometimes I feel like I'm hungry, but I'm really just dehydrated. Best of luck!
    -Keme
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thirsty?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »

You can become insulin resistant when you eat more than your body needs on a normal basis (how most of us gained weight in the first place) and it was heavily based on carbs/sugars (or not, noone really knows HOW, but there are influencing factors). That is just one way. Genetics has a lot to do with it, but we can influence the outcome a little bit. Does the rest of your family have any type of diabetes in it? That will determine how high of a chance you have of getting diabetes or insulin resistance even prior to being overweight (i.e. parents both had it young and siblings have it, then you will have a good chance of getting it some time in your life, only grandparents had it, the you have a good chance of getting it if you are overweight, etc.).

If you are losing fat, then you aren't overworking the pancreas too much (hopefully) which is what is working overtime to convert extra sugars into fat. When you carb load, your insulin is actually working overtime to convert it into fat. When you work out the next day, your fat cells are converted back into sugars for your muscles to work (that's why my suggestion to drink something or eat something prior to working out and not the night before if you're concerned about your energy level for the lifting).

If you have high blood pressure, you will eventually get diabetes as well if your pressure isn't controlled (that is just a function of your kidneys not working right). Human physiology is an amazing thing. Hope that helps! :smiley: