Greek Yogurt

Options
Hey Guys, I have a question about greek yogurt. I recently fell in love with Chobani Greek yogurt, but once I started tracking my diet I have realized that it is loaded with carbs and sugars. Is this a good carb? Also, do you guys eat this in your diets when you are trying to loose weight? I would like to incorporated it in maybe every other day or so, but if its not good for me and will halt my progress than I guess its got to go :( Also, I am new on here, looking for some female friends to help keep me motivated. So send me a request with a message and I'll add you =)

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say the sugar is bad, as long as you budget it into your daily allowance. Personally, I eat the plain Chobani yogurt since it has more protein and very little sugar. Mixing in some fresh fruit or Polaner All Fruit will help the taste since plain is a bit bland.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes it does have sugar but it also has lots of protein. If you are looking to reduce the sugar then get the plain and maybe add some frozen blueberries to it. I personally don't see a problem with it. I eat 1 Chobani yogurt on each day I work out and I haven't had a problem losing weight. As long as you don't go over on your calories for the day then it should be fine.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The sugars are way high but the non fat plain is great, add your own fresh fruit for extra flavor but without the added sugar. Greek yogurt is great as it is high in protein!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Try the plain and add you own fresh fruit and a little sugar substitue. The sugars are in the flavoring (not good sugars) but also found in the dairy and these are good sugars. Enjoy!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If it is flavored it is probably sugar, if it is plain, it would be similar to carbs from milk which is mainly lactose.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt + vanilla extract + cinnamon = pure deliciousness. You can put it in the freezer and it's like ice cream (and easier to savour).
    It has more protein than carbs, which is important to note. It could easily fit into your diet and help weight loss.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I buy the plain Greek yogurt and add honey myself! It really cuts down the sugar! And I have never worried about the carbs in it... But that's just me. :laugh:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat one every single day. I'm not terribly concerned with sugar, just total carbs.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the carbs or sugar, but I eat Greek yogurt daily (different brand though...I hate Chobani). Anyways, I think it's fine, unless you're trying to eat really low carb. Someone somewhere (sorry, I can't remeber where I read this, but you could probably google it pretty easily) found (through a study) that women who ate 3 servings of low fat yogurt daily lost like 20% more weight.

There have been more than one study, but this one is from the University of Tennessee and goes into a bit more detail: http://www.laneshealth.com/news/Index.cfm?ccs=100&cs=346
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always buy the plain and add a bit of sweetner, vanilla extract, and fresh fruit to it. If I need fiber, I'll mix with All Bran. Delicious!
  • Sheena04
    Sheena04 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks guys for the help!!! I am glad that I can still eat it!! I probably will just eat it on the days that I dont work out, because I seem to fall behind some on those days with my protein intake!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt + vanilla extract + cinnamon = pure deliciousness. You can put it in the freezer and it's like ice cream (and easier to savour).
    It has more protein than carbs, which is important to note. It could easily fit into your diet and help weight loss.

Oh dear God, I think I love you! I never thought about freezing the greek yogurt. What's wrong with me?? I've been missing ice cream sooo bad. What a great idea.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Fage flavored Greek Yogurts. It's a smidge less sugar (Chobani blueberry - 20, Fage blueberry - 16), but more importantly, the fruit topping is in a separate side container. If I'm not in the mood for it to be real sweet, I use less of the fruit topping. As to it inhibiting my weight loss.... not so much. (see signature block)
  • Dancinblind
    Dancinblind Posts: 26
    Options
    I eat the plain greek yogurt every other day with half a cup of brozen blueberries added to it. I like that it is high in protien but since i incorporated it into my diet I've noticed I've been going slightly over my daily protien "allowance"
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    Okay so the first time I ate it was like 3 years ago (before it was flavored) and I knew it was an awesome snack to have for the protein. It tasted just like sour cream and I would gag it down everyday until a figure competitor friend told me to try a little of my favorite crystal light, I loved the strawberry... and BAM, just like that an AWESOME treat! Enjoy!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For those that are interested in frozen, I found Yasso frozen Greek yogurt on a stick at my local wholesale grocery store. They satisfy my craving for ice cream, only have 70 calories, and contain the protein you love!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I need to try freezing my yogurt! That sounds wonderful! And I could do so in individual cups. Yum yum!
  • Sheena04
    Sheena04 Posts: 6
    Options

I like this idea, I will definitely be trying it =) thanks everyone for all the help on this subject!!!