Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

I think my weight is dropping too fast. Is this unhealthy?

Options
ramdihal33
ramdihal33 Posts: 11 Member
Down to approx. 1400 Cal, per day. Consumed approx 2500 before. Plus going to the gym since I started this last Friday. 7.4 lbs in 5 days seems like a lot, in such a short time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight? (This isn't unusual if you start out very obese). Also if this is your first week there is the water weight loss.
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    222.7 lbs. Went up from 209 lbs. when I tried to quit smoking
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    paying attention to what you consume can have that wonderful effect. I say enjoy the moments, as long as you are feeling ok, staying hydrated, and exercising most every day :-)
  • sandryc79
    Options
    If this is your first weeks loss I wouldn't worry. If that keeps up just increase your calories a bit at a time. I once lost 10 lbs in the first week of cutting calories. Your body can store a lot of glycerin (water weight) and when you start functioning on a deficit those stores get depleted and you lose fat so it can add up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am going to say not all of this fat loss. You are loosing a lot of water
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I went from losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, to losing 5t pounds a week. I am still eating a lot just cut out and cut down on certain foods and I am way more active.
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    Yep, out with the chips, chocolate bars and coke, in with the yogurt, cottage cheese and some green crap....oh wait, that's spinach. Haven't seen it in about 5 years. lol
  • sandryc79
    Options
    ramdihal33 wrote: »
    Yep, out with the chips, chocolate bars and coke, in with the yogurt, cottage cheese and some green crap....oh wait, that's spinach. Haven't seen it in about 5 years. lol

You are doing a nice job!
  • Annr
    Options
    you will realize that fresh spinach is your friend! I pile it on a plate, with spices, a wee bit of olive oil and a splash with my fingers of water and put it in the microwave (yep I know nuking is so wrong) ....but only for 1 minute until it wilts...then add your meal on top of it.
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    I kind of grimaced and wolfed the spinach down, all the while staring in anticipation at the chicken breast on my plate. I swear, my wife was going too pee herself, by laughing so hard.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks of dieting. It's pretty normal. Just don't get used to it and get unmotivated when it slows down!
  • Annr
    Options
    my favorite meal is cutting up some sausage...(there are some yummy apple cured etc) and adding some cut up sweet onions and zucchini...letting them all get golden brown and heavenly. Then adding some chicken broth with the spinach piled all over it...put a lid on it for about 2 minutes and plate up with some shaved parmesan cheese.
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't, you know the gift horse thing. Just be happy about the progress, and continue to strive. I'm also new here, hit me up with a friend request for support and motivation!! I will definitely need the help of this community, to find out, if there are really abs under there.
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    Annr ,that sounds delicious. But what about the Extra cals in the sausage and Parmesan cheese? I have to save my calorie space for a couple of rum and cokes on the weekends.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey over 6 years ago I was dropping weight crazy fast. Eventually lower calories + high calorie burns = one hungry me. You'll find the balance over time and figure out what you need over time. It's why I love the IIFYM (if if fits your macros). I almost never over eat as long as I'm hitting my macros.
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I think with your calorie reduction and increased activity it isn't all water - you're putting forth the effort to change, and your body is changing - woo-hoo! I've been at it seriously now for almost 4 weeks, weighing in weekly, lost 7 on week 1, 7 on week 2, and 8 on week 3. I've been really reading the labels, watching portion sizes, exercising and weight lifting...it all works together for the good! You keep it up, you'll find your 6-pack soon enough!
  • ramdihal33
    Options
    MomMel65 wrote: »
    Great job!! I think with your calorie reduction and increased activity it isn't all water - you're putting forth the effort to change, and your body is changing - woo-hoo! I've been at it seriously now for almost 4 weeks, weighing in weekly, lost 7 on week 1, 7 on week 2, and 8 on week 3. I've been really reading the labels, watching portion sizes, exercising and weight lifting...it all works together for the good! You keep it up, you'll find your 6-pack soon enough!

Awesome progress, congrats and keep it up!! Working my way down to the six, currently looking for the 24, under the keg
  • Annr
    Options
    ramdihal33 wrote: »
    Annr ,that sounds delicious. But what about the Extra cals in the sausage and Parmesan cheese? I have to save my calorie space for a couple of rum and cokes on the weekends.

Well the parmesan cheese is just a sprinkle...its all good. And if you are worried about the sausage, then just pick out the sausage after you use them to saute' everything else in. Or you can just add more veggies then portion it into 2 servings. Just a couple of rum and cokes now! ha!
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    my favorite meal is cutting up some sausage...(there are some yummy apple cured etc) and adding some cut up sweet onions and zucchini...letting them all get golden brown and heavenly. Then adding some chicken broth with the spinach piled all over it...put a lid on it for about 2 minutes and plate up with some shaved parmesan cheese.

This recipe sounds delish!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NO MAN SHOULD BE EATING 1400 CALORIES A DAY

THAT'S TOO LOW

and yes I know I'm shouting - fix it .. or you will crash and burn ... 1600 minimum plus eat back 50% exercise calories