Any others following an anti- candida diet?

Options
molaufy
molaufy Posts: 39 Member
So this diet cuts out foods that encourage inflammation and yeast growth in the gut. It's great for those with a history of antibiotic use or those who have achy joints or upset stomach. I lost 12 lbs in the first month without tracking anything. My body has transformed so quickly and I feel so much better.

Is anyone else following this diet?

I eat one serving of fruit per day, 24 grams or less of sugar, and low carb other than brown rice, quinoa, oats and occasional potatoes. I cut out vinegar, soy, alcohol and caffeine initially, but have let small bits back in (though I usually suffer a little for it, but not nearly what I used to).

I eat tons of veggies, lean meats, nuts, seeds, and use lots of spices and truffle oil to really enhance flavors. It was initially a change, but now it's a total breeze.

Anyone follow something similar?

Replies

• molaufy
    Options
    I also take a pre and probiotic daily, plus DGL with meals, to support digestion.
  • beancybrat
    beancybrat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been reading coconut oil and garlic work as a natural anti fungal ... I'm on day 3 of using those
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been advised I should do this diet for years... Seems so restrictive. But... I've been feeling so poorly, that I'm game to try it now
  • eva_summer_15
    eva_summer_15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Excuse my english and allow me to your convo! So I start this candida diet today! I had a lifestyle that leads to candida (alcohol, desserts) and now I have all the symptoms! (Irritable mood, constipation, fatigue, bad sleep) so its time to give it a try! Its really hard for me bc I haven't gone a day without 2 kiwies for years. Wish me luck!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I thought it said anti Canada diet
  • molaufy
    Options
    I've been advised I should do this diet for years... Seems so restrictive. But... I've been feeling so poorly, that I'm game to try it now

I was dreading it at first too, but I started feeling so much better that my attitude towards it quickly improved. I cheat occassionally, but all around it's become an easily sustainable diet. Good luck at restaurants, though. Chipotle is the only place I go, and surely that has some vinegar in the salsa. Im down 15 lbs in 3 months, and that includes cheats (ex: I went to NYC and ate pizza).

Good luck to you all! Keep me posted :-)
  • lovelysoul11
    lovelysoul11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With you on this one! Candida has been something I have been taught to be aware of and monitor since childhood. Not only do they promote crazy bloating and set off sugar cravings, but my experiences with it leave me feeling brain fog and angry or unable to cope. It's always something good to be conscious of. Good luck! Xoxo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If one really knew about candida, they would know that there isn't confirming evidence that diet changes reduce overgrowth. One may "feel" better, but it's more likely due to just eating more nutrient dense foods. If one wants to avoid candida, they should be more concerned with these:

You may help prevent another yeast infection by taking Lactobacillus acidophilus when you take antibiotics, wearing cotton underwear, maintaining good hygiene, and staying at the proper weight. Women should avoid douches, except when medically necessary, and vaginal deodorant.

Treatment includes:

Many antifungal medications can treat candidiasis. Your doctor will prescribe a drug depending on your condition.

Antifungal medications -- these include oral rinses and tablets, vaginal tablets and suppositories, and creams. For vaginal yeast infections, medications that are available over the counter include creams and suppositories such as miconazole (Monistat), ticonazole (Vagistat), and clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin). Your doctor may prescribe a pill, fluconazole (Diflucan). Side effects vary.

Creams combined with low-strength corticosteroids -- reduce inflammation and itching.

Most treatments last from 2 - 3 days to 2 weeks. Be sure to take all medicine exactly as prescribed. If you do not, the same infection could come back, or you could become infected with a new strain of candida.

For severe candidiasis that could be life threatening to someone with a weak immune system, your doctor may prescribe an intravenous (IV) medication, amphotericin B.

Source: Candidiasis | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/candidiasis#ixzz3ZWos4Oh4
    University of Maryland Medical Center
    Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would think that you would not treat a vaginal yeast infection the same as an issue with Candida in your gut...
  • molaufy
    Options
    I would think that you would not treat a vaginal yeast infection the same as an issue with Candida in your gut...

Christina is correct, though I have to assume a healthier gut would support a healthier flora throughout the body? Functional medicine very much supports the notion that a healthier gut leads to a healthier body in general, including reduced inflammation and skin reactions. Research is even showing that taking a probiotic can reduce the effects of anxiety-provoking stimuli. It's pretty neat stuff.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know a girl named Candida. Serious.
  • molaufy
    Options

That's a little tragic...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    molaufy wrote: »

That's a little tragic...

I know. I saw it on an email list first and thought it was a typo, but nope.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I thought it said anti Canada diet

Same. I thought this was going to be about how to restrict Poutine and Tim Horton's from one's diet.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I thought it said anti Canada too!