Trying to get bigger calves?

Options
Hey there! I think big muscular calves are beautiful and I'd like my calves to be a little bigger; that being said, what are some exercises you guys do/have done that have gotten you results? I mean, weighted calf raises of course, but how often/how many sets/reps... and if there are any variants on the calf raise or any other exercise out there that you can think of, do tell.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, squats, and hip thrusts have really improved my calves this year. They are not bigger but they look much better now than they did 4 months ago.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Standing calf raises. Do as many as you can without stopping. Make it harder by standing on one foot or a step edge or add weight. Repetition is key.
  • peanutbu
    peanutbu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Outside of every variation of calf raisers, weighted split squats and roller blading made mine huge.
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'll keep trying. For some reason getting bigger calves (as well as the coveted squat butt) is really difficult for me, haha.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Calves can be tricky because they're used to taking a beating. When we walk or run we're putting something like 6x's our bodyweight on them (I forget the exact number). So they're used to handling a lot of weight. For growth they need both a lot of weight and a lot of volume in training.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    While you can definitely train your calves and see some growth, do know that genetics play a huge role in calf size. Some people have calves...some people have bulls ;)
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While you can definitely train your calves and see some growth, do know that genetics play a huge role in calf size. Some people have calves...some people have bulls ;)

Yeah, totally think it's a matter of genetics with me. My dad has been lifting weights for years and his calves have never been impressive by any stretch of the imagination lol. booooo
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this with interest as I want to reduce my calve size, so I guess I'll do the opposite of what is recommended here :tongue:
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a role, everyone in my family is gifted with huge calf muscles. Also, being fat for a significant portion of your life and then losing the weight tends to give people bigger calves.

Cardio-wise, you can do jump rope and forefoot running to get your calf muscles some extra work. Lifting, super high volume calf raises can help.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    gonnasnap wrote: »
    Calves can be tricky because they're used to taking a beating. When we walk or run we're putting something like 6x's our bodyweight on them (I forget the exact number). So they're used to handling a lot of weight. For growth they need both a lot of weight and a lot of volume in training.
    And even with all this, if one's genetics suck for having nice calves, it could just be lots of work in vain. Unfortunately some people can put in a ton of work but disadvantages in genetics may not render results. Usually you'll see this with people who have a "high" calf insertion point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Genetics play a role, everyone in my family is gifted with huge calf muscles. Also, being fat for a significant portion of your life and then losing the weight tends to give people bigger calves.

Cardio-wise, you can do jump rope and forefoot running to get your calf muscles some extra work. Lifting, super high volume calf raises can help.
    Well being very overweight for a long time forces the calf muscles compensate for the load. You'll hear lots of previously overweight people complaining that while the rest of their body shrinks, their calves end up looking more defined and muscular............lol and they hate them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • DavidKempe19
    DavidKempe19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats helped give my calves sweet definition this year. Jogging, running and hill sprints are also GOAT for calf gains.
  • serra2009
    serra2009 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try uphill walking, or biking an you'll see the difference in a week. U won't even feel the burn.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    serra2009 wrote: »
    Try uphill walking, or biking an you'll see the difference in a week. U won't even feel the burn.
    You won't see much of difference in size in a week if one is already training calves.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    unless using non-otc aid.
    Or they could always do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyt-QLfTPX4

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    Hey there! I think big muscular calves are beautiful and I'd like my calves to be a little bigger; that being said, what are some exercises you guys do/have done that have gotten you results? I mean, weighted calf raises of course, but how often/how many sets/reps... and if there are any variants on the calf raise or any other exercise out there that you can think of, do tell.

-- walk up hill
    -- put heavy boots on and go for long walks in the snow
    -- walk/run on the beach

All these things work the calves, and from my experience, doing these things results in well-defined, muscular calves.

• Hausisse1
    Options

Super informative, I appreciate it!
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is funny because Arnold Schwarzeneggar used to cut off his sweats for the gym so that people would see the one thing he had trouble with, his calves. He wanted to be reminded of his weakness every time for motivation. He went on to be nicknamed the oak for a reason, his blueprint on bodybuilding.com has 2 leg days with seated and standing calf raises. If you really want to grow you need to lift heavy and lift often and remember the easy reps are not building muscle they are just normal work, when you struggle to do a rep you are building muscle.