Weight gain comments vs weight loss comments. ....?

Options
I gained 20 pounds last year due to sedetary lifestyle and eating too much.Then I found out about myfitness pal and I have lost it all and a bit more.

I find that now I get more comments on my weight loss than I had put on weight. I had few people who commented which I didn't like ofcourse since I was aware of it and didn't need to be reminded.

Now I am constantly getting weight loss comments at work .At first I felt awkward whenever someone commented but now I am used to it since i can't control what people say.Obviously some of these people noticed I had put on weight and where considerate not to say anything.

Just wondering why most people are quick to comment on weight loss than weight gain.I am not complaining.I just want to hear other people opinion on the subject. Thanks

Replies

• dbzgt12
    dbzgt12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself. "Some people noticed I put on weight and we're considerate not to say anything". That's why no one commented on your weight gain. They're just complimenting you is all. You shouldn't mind at all
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I know they are being nice and I don't mind the comments at all. Then they are those who comments on weight gain. Are they just thoughtless or insensitive?
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My mother is that way. She just says what is on her mind. She doesn't mean to be thoughtless or insensitive but it comes across that way and has caused "hurt feelings".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Commenting on weight loss is generally considered to be a compliment, and many people are happy to hand out compliments. Commenting on weight gain is not generally considered complimentary, so most people don't say anything.

Same as generally if you show up looking a little fancier than notmal you might get a lot of "wow, you look good!" but if you show up a bit more dishivelled, tired, or ill than usual, you might get someone say "wow, you don't look so good", but not nearly as often.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think most people view weight loss as a positive outcome. Virtually everyone that gains weight doesn't want to hear it. There are some people that are insensitive and will make comments about weight gain, but it also depends on how they say it.

To me, saying that someone "used to be on the skinny side and now you look healthy" sounds better than "hey, you put on a few pounds."
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thank you input .It makes sense. I actually had an incident where this girl said I had gained weight in front of another co worker then she goes like "Canadians don't want to be told" whenwhenever she sees me she always say hi, how r u? All I thinking to myself is do you really care.like really?