No weight loss!

Options
For the past 5 weeks I have been working out 4 days a week minimum for 1 hr (cardio 30 min, weight training 30min) and limiting myself to 1200cal a day but I have not lost any weight at all. I mean PERIOD! I've tried diet pills, only made me bloated. I've always ate pretty healthy (only drink plain tea and water, no fried foods, limited carbs) so i figured my metabolism was the issue but even with working out now not one pound weight loss?? I'm so confused! Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you actually logging accurately, by a kitchen scale by gram (preferred myself) or ounces for solids and by cups for liquids? How old/young are you? How tall are you? There are so many questions to ask.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1) Stop the diet pills.
    2) Your metabolism is not broken. If you had a metabolism issue you be shut down right now..

I don't have your stats or know anything about you from your post so I will start here...

You have to be eating more than you think you are.. Logging inaccuracies are the first thing that has to be looked at and then ruled out.. You must weigh and measure your food and log accurately. This is usually 99.9% the culprit. Plus if you eat back any of the exercise calories you log, it could be way over estimated by 50%..

And I will add this, lifting weights and cardio 4 days a week will cause you to retain water. It is possible that you are making strides with the exercise but not showing on the scale. Make sure you keep hydrated by drinking a lot of water through the day..

I will also add, 1200 calories may be too little and you may want to take a look to make sure you have not setup a goal to eat too little to lose 2 lbs a week. May want to change it 1.5 or 1 a week. I would also advise you to look that this as well.

Not sure if you are doing this so take a look here:

1) Get a food scale, weigh and log everything.
    2) For the cardio only eat back 50% of your calories. Weight lifting does come with an accurate calorie burn for this..
    3) Drink alot of water.. (I drink over a half a gallon a day)
    4) Cheat meals over maintenance sabotages all your efforts.
    5) If a cheat meal happens LOG IT.

Find these stickies in the forms:

Calorie Counting 101

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I hope this helps some...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? If you aren't losing on 1200, then most likely you're eating more than you think.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Can you open up your diary? If you aren't losing on 1200, then most likely you're eating more than you think.
    Yep
  • Bria0709
    Bria0709 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    Are you actually logging accurately, by a kitchen scale by gram (preferred myself) or ounces for solids and by cups for liquids? How old/young are you? How tall are you? There are so many questions to ask.

I weight everything with a kitchen scale. 26 and 5'2. I'm about 40lbs over weight according to the typical standards however I just want to lose 25-30 max to be at a comfortable weight for myself,didn't like how I looked when I was super skinny
  • Bria0709
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    1) Stop the diet pills.
    2) Your metabolism is not broken. If you had a metabolism issue you be shut down right now..

I don't have your stats or know anything about you from your post so I will start here...

You have to be eating more than you think you are.. Logging inaccuracies are the first thing that has to be looked at and then ruled out.. You must weigh and measure your food and log accurately. This is usually 99.9% the culprit. Plus if you eat back any of the exercise calories you log, it could be way over estimated by 50%..

And I will add this, lifting weights and cardio 4 days a week will cause you to retain water. It is possible that you are making strides with the exercise but not showing on the scale. Make sure you keep hydrated by drinking a lot of water through the day..

I will also add, 1200 calories may be too little and you may want to take a look to make sure you have not setup a goal to eat too little to lose 2 lbs a week. May want to change it 1.5 or 1 a week. I would also advise you to look that this as well.

Not sure if you are doing this so take a look here:

1) Get a food scale, weigh and log everything.
    2) For the cardio only eat back 50% of your calories. Weight lifting does come with an accurate calorie burn for this..
    3) Drink alot of water.. (I drink over a half a gallon a day)
    4) Cheat meals over maintenance sabotages all your efforts.
    5) If a cheat meal happens LOG IT.

Find these stickies in the forms:

Calorie Counting 101

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I hope this helps some...

Thanks for the info! I do weigh everything and log cheat meals because 1)reminds me it's probably not worth it 2) if I can't find an accurate calorie count for it I tend to not even bother eating it but I do not eat back any of the calories I've lost I wonder if that's an issue. Sometimes I'll eat less than 1200 a day.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds improbable that your eating 1200 calories and exercising for 1 hour an not losing a single bit of weight.

Are you eating back exercise burned calories?
  • Bria0709
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yep

I'll figure out how to open it
  • Bria0709
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sounds improbable that your eating 1200 calories and exercising for 1 hour an not losing a single bit of weight.

Are you eating back exercise burned calories?

That's what I thought. One week the diet pills made me so nauseated I barely ate anything so I didn't work out but other than that I don't understand the problem. I burn 300 cals on the elliptical I don't know what burn during the weight training. My stomach is getting bigger evident from how my jeans fit. Someone told me it could be stress or either the fact I ate healthy to begin with so I wouldn't lose how someone who went from eating fast food to eating salads would...not sure how true that is though.
  • Bria0709
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    A lot are missing the "MINIMUM" 1hr. She's consuming 1,200 per day regardless of exercise. She's probably netting around 500-600 calories the day she exercises.

Problem is just too much stress, follow the MFP guidelines how they're supposed to be used. It appears you're trying to quick weight loss, that won't work.

Minimum 4 days a week, 1hr every time. But That is true. I'll try to eat more. I've had a host of health issues with this weight gain and I wanted to lose at least 15 by my birthday (July 9th) but I'm seeing that obviously won't happen.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I weight everything with a kitchen scale. 26 and 5'2. I'm about 40lbs over weight according to the typical standards however I just want to lose 25-30 max to be at a comfortable weight for myself,didn't like how I looked when I was super skinny
    [/quote]

I just had a look at your diary and you're not weighing HEAPS of stuff. You're not weighing your fruit, you're even not weighing bacon (logged as 6 slices - who knows what that weighs). You're logging stuff by the tablespoon that should be weighed instead. Start weighing everything and log accurately, you're obviously eating more than you think.
  • Bria0709
    Options

I just had a look at your diary and you're not weighing HEAPS of stuff. You're not weighing your fruit, you're even not weighing bacon (logged as 6 slices - who knows what that weighs). You're logging stuff by the tablespoon that should be weighed instead. Start weighing everything and log accurately, you're obviously eating more than you think.[/quote]

I scan the label so the bacon it says (4 slices = x amount of calories) so if I have 6 slices that's how I change the serving size. If the labels serving size says ounces/grams/tablespoons I follow that. Should I be doing it another way?
  • Bria0709
    Options

I just had a look at your diary and you're not weighing HEAPS of stuff. You're not weighing your fruit, you're even not weighing bacon (logged as 6 slices - who knows what that weighs). You're logging stuff by the tablespoon that should be weighed instead. Start weighing everything and log accurately, you're obviously eating more than you think.[/quote]

I do weigh the fruit of it says 1/2 grapefruit I weighed it in grams which correlates to what shows on the diary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are eating way more than you think you are
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bria0709 wrote: »

I just had a look at your diary and you're not weighing HEAPS of stuff. You're not weighing your fruit, you're even not weighing bacon (logged as 6 slices - who knows what that weighs). You're logging stuff by the tablespoon that should be weighed instead. Start weighing everything and log accurately, you're obviously eating more than you think.

I scan the label so the bacon it says (4 slices = x amount of calories) so if I have 6 slices that's how I change the serving size. If the labels serving size says ounces/grams/tablespoons I follow that. Should I be doing it another way?[/quote]

It is not said that every single slice of bacon weights exactly the same so yes, you should be doing it differently and actually weigh your bacon with a food scale.

• Bria0709
    Options
    dearmrsowl wrote: »

I scan the label so the bacon it says (4 slices = x amount of calories) so if I have 6 slices that's how I change the serving size. If the labels serving size says ounces/grams/tablespoons I follow that. Should I be doing it another way?

It is not said that every single slice of bacon weights exactly the same so yes, you should be doing it differently and actually weigh your bacon with a food scale.

[/quote]

Hmm ok thank you! One more questions when it say 2oz equals 1 serving, 3 servings per container for example but when I weigh it out it its end being less than what they stated the serving per container was am I weighing it wrong? Is it actually 2oz divided by 3?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    dearmrsowl wrote: »

Hmm ok thank you! One more questions when it say 2oz equals 1 serving, 3 servings per container for example but when I weigh it out it its end being less than what they stated the serving per container was am I weighing it wrong? Is it actually 2oz divided by 3? [/quote]

I would expect there to be 6oz in the container
    3 serving of 2oz=6oz

But it might be slightly more or less that's why people suggest you weigh things.