GYM-FREE SUCCESS STORIES, PLEASE :)

Options
2»

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of inconsistent logging. Try logging every day and you might have more success.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in a year through diet, hiking, walking, running (starting off with C25k), and in the summer, kayaking. Not once did I step foot in a gym!
  • moosefacedgoose
    moosefacedgoose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, lost over 30lbs- walking to work, doing fitness blender workouts (which I love) and a bit of swimming. Mostly I have focused on just not giving up and keeping going- good luck!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of your input!! I think it does come down to more consistency with my food logging and just being more active all around. I do plan to get back to CF one day, but for now I just want to focus on having an active lifestyle. i did cancel my cable and that alone has made me stop sitting around so much! :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    One cannot out exercise a poor diet. I've lost almost 100 pounds so far with logging and controlling my eating and getting a bit more exercise with walking - usually no mare than 30 minutes at a time and usually no mare than 4 times per week. Now I was starting at a really high weight, and this may not work as well as I get to a more reasonable weight and try to push lower, but I am sure I cannot ramp up the exercise levels and just abandon counting the calories.
  • littlmissapril
    littlmissapril Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm around your height and started in November at 190, I'm now 154. All I've been doing is the elliptical at home for 30 minutes daily, Jillian Michaels dvds, and counting calories on here.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I went from 175 to 140 by changing my diet, walking more, and using arm weights from time to time. I suspect I have PCOS, because I also went from having four periods a year to never missing a single one. However, now that I've been stalled for a while and still have fifteen to twenty left to go, I've been saving my money to buy an elliptical. I have the diet down, but I really do need to commit to exercising.

I know it's silly, but I have a serious phobia of the gym. I don't like being around other people when I exercise, even my SO. When I like exercising, it's because it allows me to plug in music and be in my own little world, with nice endorphin rush afterwards. Being around other people kills that, but my budget kills the idea of me having all of my own equipment.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've done the gym thing before but have had way more success without it. I prefer to be outside walking, riding my bike, playing games in the yard with my daughter. I will admit I have a treadmill but I got it dirt cheap and it's challenged me to up my pace, distance, etc.

What's most important is to just keep MOVING even if that means cleaning up around the house. I rarely sit down after work until close to bedtime. I'm 38 and have lost at least 30 pounds from my highest weight, maintaining 107 for four years now.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @SallyIngram2015 - you and me both!!! For over six months I've been walking a dog, day in day out, come rain or shine, at least for an hour or so. No shift in weight. It was so frustrated, apparently, according to all of those popular myths all you have to do in order to lose weight is to walk here and there, take stairs, or get off one stop earlier. Well, I wish they mentioned that it must be a very brisk/power walk, not just a casual stroll. Last Semptember I decided to move the bar and challenged the impossible; running. I've spent whole Winter building endurance along with distances and calories burnt, and the effort has paid off just in time for Summer months. Very much like you, whatever I do I have to take my dog into account, but he seems to enjoy it even more. I like the idea of the dog trailer:)
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food everyday here at 1400 calories a day approx. some days I eat some of my exercise calories. And haven't set foot in a gym. I only use DVDs . I am consistent and workout 6 days a week using Leslie sans one walk away the lbs. Jillian michaels 30 day shred level one and a a firm strength training DVD. I try and do 40/60 minutes per night and work up a sweat. So far in 9 weeks I've lost 14 lbs.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 10 to size 0 or 00 over the course of a year. I walked some, but by far most of my calorie deficit came from diet.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been running alongside a body weight training program "You are Your Own Gym." No equipment required and the workouts are about a half hour. It's available as a DVD, app, and a book. Just started the intermediate level on the DVD and it's kicking my *kitten*.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You ladies are great!!
    I've been packing my lunches and eating within my calories for the last two weeks, but hadn't logged anything, and realized I was snacking a lot in the afternoon and that had to be throwing me off. So back to logging it is! It's literally the only thing that's worked for me, i just have to quit letting it drift off and feeling like i can just magically keep it up without the accountability.

I have been more active too.... heck even on this past Saturday before knowing i would be on my feet at the restaurant for 12 hours, the hubbs and I went on a 10 mile bike ride, just for extra credit! I have been riding the bike more for sure, but the scale keeps going up. So i tucked the scale away for the next few months, and am focusing just on staying active and logging my food/exercise here... hopefully the clothes start to fit better soon! I know I feel much better.... canceling cable was definitely one of the best moves I could do!!!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I lost more weight doing 1200 calories per day (no gym) than I did in 2 years at the gym. 37 lbs!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't use a gym (cost plus my nearest one is an hours drive round trip), I run/strength train and use youtube for free workouts - Jessica Smith is among my favourites but I've also done 30 day Shred (Jillian Michaels), Hasfit and Fitness Blender workouts. I lost 20lbs two years ago and got to my goal weight, dropped 3 dress sizes and all without going to a gym :smiley:
    I am consistent at my workouts - 6 days a week 70-90 mins/ average 20000 steps/10 miles a day.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Beach Body Coach or anything but P90X, Insanity, and P90 are a God-send for me.

Sometimes I supplement them with Jillian Michaels.

Gym is too expensive.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!