Coffee Drinkers - How do you prepare your coffee at home to avoid places like Starbucks?

Options

Replies

• DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Starbuck but, I brew my own (had the beans espresso grounded at Starbuck)

Starbucks - Espresso Roast Coffee, 1 cup 5 1 0 0 0 0
    Spice - Ground Cinnamon, 1 tsp 5 1 0 0 1 1
    Lactaid 2 % Lowfat Milk - Milk, 0.5 cup 65 7 3 4 0 63
    Truvia - Nature's Calorie-free Sweetener, 1 packet (3.5g) 0 3 0 0 0 0 Ice

Total: 75 12 3 4 1 64
    Per Serving: 75 12 3 4 1 64

I think it's pretty yummy. (I add the cinnamon to the hot coffee to mix it then add the ice and milk. If you add it to cold drink it will never mix well)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I lease out a quarter acre in Sumatra. Organically-raised, carefully-tended beans are the only way to go. Perkasa and his family manage it for me; he can’t always be there but his daughter is our backstop – she makes sure to harvest the beans at the right time.

After picking, the beans are left to soak on fresh banana leaves in the sun out on on the beach for not less than 16 hours of sunlight (watch the tides; I’ve already had to express my displeasure to Perkasa once on this).

The beans are then fed to the lemurs we keep on the property. (The little f***ers can get nasty sometimes, but Perkasa’s daughter knows how to handle them; and when they really get out of line, it’s really not my problem – Perkasa works this into the maintenance cost for the quarter-acre). It takes between 18 and 26 hours before the little f***ers pass the beans, partially digested, and Perkasa’s daughter (I wish I could remember her name) collects them for cleaning and then vacuum-sealing (I had to buy the vacuum-sealer myself, as you will likely need to do – another start-up cost).

We ship the beans to Oakland, and a friend of mine who runs a little roasting shop roasts my own beans for me on the side – no issues so far, as the shop is more concerned about the local authorities finding the “other activities” that are happening on-site. I’m prepared to pay the roasting shop owner a little something if necessary, but really, the roasters are running anyway and my stock is not displacing anything else in any event, so f*** him if he tries to push me. The hot-out-of-the-oven beans are rushed via courier across the Bay to me.

When ready for a caffe, I will grind the beans. I have a mechanical grinder with an aluminum blade – you’ll hear lots of stories about stainless steel, platinum, or hand-beaten iron blades sheathed in bronze – it’s all BS designed to get you to waste money. I also am not a believer, like some of my compadres are, in hand crushing / grinding the beans – I did that for a long time and honestly can’t really taste the difference and defy anyone to do so – it’s just not worth the effort. I think the “hand crusher” die-hards also buy Monster audio cables.

Once the beans are ground, I use a French Press. The Press is fine – what’s key here is to make sure the water is right at 194F – at 196F or 192F you’ll notice the difference. I hear others debate the Press versus a near-boiling pot, a drip mechanism, and espresso kettle, etc. – I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh. They’ve never really taken the time and interest to focus on the water temp as the key variable. Don’t fall into that trap.

Never, ever, ever add anything to your coffee. That just destroys the flavor of quality coffee. It’s not like anyone would ever mix flavors and textures in any other sort of gastronomical treat – I mean, you’ve never heard of someone mixing something ridiculous like some weird balsamic vinegar and a nice cheese right? Why would you do that? SO, black coffee and black coffee only. But if you’ve been listening, your coffee is going to be orgasmic without any other flavors anyway, so don’t worry.

Be sure to only use a mug / cup / glass with a sipping thickness of less than 2 cm. I am not spending any time on the glass vs. ceramic arguments that rage across the internet. Suffice it to say that the thickness is key, and ignore the goofs arguing otherwise.

A final note - if, for some weird reason, Perkasa’s and my supply chain is interrupted or for whatever reason I don’t have fresh beans to grind, then I go with a Keurig K-Cup, or Folger’s instant in a pinch. I like to add International Delight creamer , but that's just me. We all have peculiar tastes. Good luck to you and good drinking!
  • pokemonbb
    pokemonbb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i use a single cup Kcoffee makers but I add about 20 to 30 percent of an Adkins caramel cafe mocha shake to the coffee for a mid morning or mid afternoon snack. I justify the extra calories due to the addition of protein and vitamins. definitely not as good as a Starbucks mocha!
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a ridiculously huge coffee cup (more like a big travel mug) that holds about half a pot of coffee. I add about a quarter cup of almond milk and 5 splenda packets. I used to make my own flavored coffee creamer in pretty much any flavor imaginable, but now that I'm calorie counting I'm too scared to see just how many calories it had lol
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    katem999 wrote: »
    Real coffee drinkers drink it black.

I come from a city of coffee drinkers who'd dispute that. Our most popular coffee is a flat white, followed by a latte, and then cappuccino, all of which are variations of milk-with-espresso.
    I've been considering switching my daily skinny latte to a long macchiato, but I like my frothy milky coffee too much.

What I personally don't understand is all these flavours, and cream, in coffee. But I guess that's why Starbucks had to close most of their cafes here.

My "recipe" for coffee at home is black coffee with a dash of milk, just like I make my tea :)

@katem999 - You don't happen to live in Wellington, NZ do you?

Completely off topic, but I love Wellington. I've been having a lot of NZ nostalgia lately. It's where I learned to appreciate beer.

On topic, I have a cup with 1tbsp on Coffeemate or 1.5 if all the tablespoons are dirty.

Wellington is awesomeness :)

No, but I really must visit if you like your coffee like us :) (though there's probably some international debate as to who invented it first cos that's what our countries like to do)

Melbourne, Aus here

Ah Melbourne would have been my second guess :) (and the cappuchino should have given it away, I don't think they're that popular here). And yes, there is considerable debate over who invented the flat white! It was big news a few months ago when US Starbucks started serving them. We're down to two Starbucks here, and apparently they're actually better than most because they have to be to survive.

We live on coffee in this city, you would love it.

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

Sounds like my kind of town. Sitting down for a skinny latte right now :smile:

The funniest thing about Starbucks here was when they opened one in Lygon Street, which is the centre of our Italian area, and it was 2 doors down from where the first espresso machine was brought to Australia in the 50s (and started our love affair with (proper) (Italian) coffee). That Starbucks did not do so well... (Nor did almost all the others)

I had a lot of fun at the Melbourne Starbucks I went to... I was still working at one and my partner card worked! Haha

I'm still jealous your talls come with 2 espresso shots.

Heh, two shots of espresso is minimum most places in Wellington! If you only want one you've got to ask (and are probably greeted with a look of utter disdain).

Our conversation was something like:
    Me: Can I have a double tall something or other?
    Barista: ... Double?
    Me: Um... Yes?
    Barista: Two shots?
    Me, now thoroughly confused: Yes? A tall with an extra shot of espresso?
    Barista: Um... a tall comes with two?
    Me: *jaw drop* No way.

I clearly need a marketable to NZ skill... Hm.

Haha, yes I imagine many visitors get caught out and wonder why they're so wired! The coffee place next to my old workplace did it by cup size. I used to get a large, which was three shots. Sometimes I'd get an extra just for good measure :p.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I lease out a quarter acre in Sumatra. Organically-raised, carefully-tended beans are the only way to go. Perkasa and his family manage it for me; he can’t always be there but his daughter is our backstop – she makes sure to harvest the beans at the right time.

After picking, the beans are left to soak on fresh banana leaves in the sun out on on the beach for not less than 16 hours of sunlight (watch the tides; I’ve already had to express my displeasure to Perkasa once on this).

The beans are then fed to the lemurs we keep on the property. (The little f***ers can get nasty sometimes, but Perkasa’s daughter knows how to handle them; and when they really get out of line, it’s really not my problem – Perkasa works this into the maintenance cost for the quarter-acre). It takes between 18 and 26 hours before the little f***ers pass the beans, partially digested, and Perkasa’s daughter (I wish I could remember her name) collects them for cleaning and then vacuum-sealing (I had to buy the vacuum-sealer myself, as you will likely need to do – another start-up cost).

We ship the beans to Oakland, and a friend of mine who runs a little roasting shop roasts my own beans for me on the side – no issues so far, as the shop is more concerned about the local authorities finding the “other activities” that are happening on-site. I’m prepared to pay the roasting shop owner a little something if necessary, but really, the roasters are running anyway and my stock is not displacing anything else in any event, so f*** him if he tries to push me. The hot-out-of-the-oven beans are rushed via courier across the Bay to me.

When ready for a caffe, I will grind the beans. I have a mechanical grinder with an aluminum blade – you’ll hear lots of stories about stainless steel, platinum, or hand-beaten iron blades sheathed in bronze – it’s all BS designed to get you to waste money. I also am not a believer, like some of my compadres are, in hand crushing / grinding the beans – I did that for a long time and honestly can’t really taste the difference and defy anyone to do so – it’s just not worth the effort. I think the “hand crusher” die-hards also buy Monster audio cables.

Once the beans are ground, I use a French Press. The Press is fine – what’s key here is to make sure the water is right at 194F – at 196F or 192F you’ll notice the difference. I hear others debate the Press versus a near-boiling pot, a drip mechanism, and espresso kettle, etc. – I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh. They’ve never really taken the time and interest to focus on the water temp as the key variable. Don’t fall into that trap.

Never, ever, ever add anything to your coffee. That just destroys the flavor of quality coffee. It’s not like anyone would ever mix flavors and textures in any other sort of gastronomical treat – I mean, you’ve never heard of someone mixing something ridiculous like some weird balsamic vinegar and a nice cheese right? Why would you do that? SO, black coffee and black coffee only. But if you’ve been listening, your coffee is going to be orgasmic without any other flavors anyway, so don’t worry.

Be sure to only use a mug / cup / glass with a sipping thickness of less than 2 cm. I am not spending any time on the glass vs. ceramic arguments that rage across the internet. Suffice it to say that the thickness is key, and ignore the goofs arguing otherwise.

A final note - if, for some weird reason, Perkasa’s and my supply chain is interrupted or for whatever reason I don’t have fresh beans to grind, then I go with a Keurig K-Cup, or Folger’s instant in a pinch. I like to add International Delight creamer , but that's just me. We all have peculiar tastes. Good luck to you and good drinking!

Hands down best answer.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I come from a city of coffee drinkers who'd dispute that. Our most popular coffee is a flat white, followed by a latte, and then cappuccino, all of which are variations of milk-with-espresso.
    I've been considering switching my daily skinny latte to a long macchiato, but I like my frothy milky coffee too much.

What I personally don't understand is all these flavours, and cream, in coffee. But I guess that's why Starbucks had to close most of their cafes here.

My "recipe" for coffee at home is black coffee with a dash of milk, just like I make my tea :)

Completely off topic, but I love Wellington. I've been having a lot of NZ nostalgia lately. It's where I learned to appreciate beer.

On topic, I have a cup with 1tbsp on Coffeemate or 1.5 if all the tablespoons are dirty.

No, but I really must visit if you like your coffee like us :) (though there's probably some international debate as to who invented it first cos that's what our countries like to do)

Melbourne, Aus here

Ah Melbourne would have been my second guess :) (and the cappuchino should have given it away, I don't think they're that popular here). And yes, there is considerable debate over who invented the flat white! It was big news a few months ago when US Starbucks started serving them. We're down to two Starbucks here, and apparently they're actually better than most because they have to be to survive.

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

The funniest thing about Starbucks here was when they opened one in Lygon Street, which is the centre of our Italian area, and it was 2 doors down from where the first espresso machine was brought to Australia in the 50s (and started our love affair with (proper) (Italian) coffee). That Starbucks did not do so well... (Nor did almost all the others)

I had a lot of fun at the Melbourne Starbucks I went to... I was still working at one and my partner card worked! Haha

Heh, two shots of espresso is minimum most places in Wellington! If you only want one you've got to ask (and are probably greeted with a look of utter disdain).

Haha, yes I imagine many visitors get caught out and wonder why they're so wired! The coffee place next to my old workplace did it by cup size. I used to get a large, which was three shots. Sometimes I'd get an extra just for good measure :p.

My favourite cafe here in New Plymouth does a four shot extra large. Was in heaven the day I realised :smile:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

My favourite cafe here in New Plymouth does a four shot extra large. Was in heaven the day I realised :smile:

Absolutely incredible. It was funny because I was told that Australians like their coffee much stronger than Americans... which is true. Many people I ran into liked coffee with their milk, basically.

I like to think I earned some Aussie creds that day. ;)

• amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I will either warm milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract on the oven and then wisk it to froth it and pour into a fresh coffee or blend the hot coffee with butter and cinnamon and vanilla and pour back into a coffee cup. Sometimes I add coconut oil as well.
    Sounds werid with butter but the flavor is nice and rich and its under 100 cals so similar to a coffee mate creamer but without all of the werid ingridents and fake junk.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Most epic reply.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Turkish style, no sugar
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I brew two cups of Donut Shop Blend coffee or Rocket Blend. Then I add 2 tbsp Peppermint Mocha creamer. Sometimes I make espresso and put my creamer in a homemade Americano coffee. Other times I use my espresso machine to make a latte and use skim milk and 1.5 packets of Splenda. No better way to start the day.
  • JordisTSM
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

Absolutely incredible. It was funny because I was told that Australians like their coffee much stronger than Americans... which is true. Many people I ran into liked coffee with their milk, basically.

Dude. Did you just call me an Australian?????
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

Dude. Did you just call me an Australian?????

Noooo, she was in Aus when the double shot thing happened.

• JordisTSM
    Options
    Oh thank God. Was about to have a hissy fit :p
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Melbourne, Aus here

6cchd2yctyiy.jpg

The cafe downstairs where I went to Uni had a "Mega Bugacino" - Came standard with 6 shots and 4 sugars. It was the study special.

These days I have one coffee in the morning, just a straight up brewed black. I used to manage restaurant bars, and developed a terrible habit of, whenever I had an order for coffee that was an odd number, I'd chuck a shotglass under the 4th dripper on the coffee head, and drink it. Got to the point I was drinking upwards of a dozen shots of espresso a night, sometimes as many as 15. Cutting down on that habit truly sucked.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make my coffee with protein shake as creamer and Stevia as sweetener. It takes a little getting used to, but then coffee turns into a non-guilty thing, haha.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use a Bialetti Moka Express brewer (1 cup) and add 1/4 cup heated milk for my morning cup and eliminate the milk for my afternoon cup.
    http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-express-c-1_7_22.html
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Just as the title says. It's so obvious that it's much healthier (and cheaper!) to make your own at home.

Actually the coffee I have at Starbucks has the same amount of calories as I make at home - about 15. Yes, One Five calories.

At home we freshly grind good locally roasted fair trade buzzword compliant beans. I wouldn't trade that smell in the morning for anything. It's a good rich dark roast that isn't bitter but full bodied, and I like the tiniest bit of 10% (half and half) in it - no more than a teaspoon or two. That all adds up to about 15 calories. Some days I have a second in the afternoon if I'm working from home. I often have my second cup black.

At Starbucks the closest thing on their menu, that I like, to our home made coffee is a triple tall Americano, again only about 15 calories, not 200 or 400 or more as some of the concoctions there are. It also happens to be one of the cheaper drinks on their menu.
  • bryantparson
    bryantparson Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I put coffee in a cup and I drink it.