Rough day

Options
Today was very hard for me emotionally, I felt the urge to just find a great food outlet. I hate being in my head like this. I'm trying so hard to just keep myself in the lines. Help!

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Would be a bit more clearer if you said what exactly was bothering you but anyways, you have to find ways to keep yourself busy (read a book, go for a walk, etc) You need to mentally tell yourself NO and remind yourself about how that food might give you temporary pleasure but will give you a longer lasting feeling of guilt. Each time your able to say no, you build more will power.
  • ClaudiaMessenger
    ClaudiaMessenger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've found that reminding myself that food won't solve my problems and making myself face that problem always makes me feel so much better.

A couple of years ago before I started my weight loss journey I used to turn to food for every emotion, both positive and negative.

When I realised how much of an emotional eater I was I became more concious of my eating habbits and I've lost nearly 60 lbs since then (with exercise too).

Yes every now and then I find myself over eating however those times are so few and far between that I've never put the weight back on and I've continued to lose. What I've found is when I emotionally eat the guilt I experience is far worse than the initial negative emotion.

My advice to anyone who eats emotionally is to question if you're actually hungry or if you're trying to soothe an emotion. If you're unsure, wait 10 to 20 minutes before eating to decide if you need food. And lastly if you do over eat due to an emotional trigger, don't beat yourself up about it, see it as a learning experience and reflect on how you can change that behaviour the next time it occurs.

I hope this is helpful for anyone reading, good luck x
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I find a nice long slow walk somewhere with trees and animals really helps. It clears the mind.