whats your whey protein?

Options
gonebeast
gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi people of MFP. I'm curious, what's your choice of protein, the brand and is it filled with random ingredients.

I ran out of whey isolate, I still have concentrate but its not enjoyable tbh. Almost done with all of the 5lbs, unflavored and natural.

I used to take muscleTech chocolate whey, it was fine but I'm being obsessive about useless additives and therefore I wanna hear what everyone else has to opinionate.

Thanks and keep growing stronger !

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    gonebeast wrote: »
    Hi people of MFP. I'm curious, what's your choice of protein, the brand and is it filled with random ingredients.

I ran out of whey isolate, I still have concentrate but its not enjoyable tbh. Almost done with all of the 5lbs, unflavored and natural.

I used to take muscleTech chocolate whey, it was fine but I'm being obsessive about useless addetives and therefore I wanna hear what everyone else has to opinionate.

Thanks and keep growing stronger !

Muscletech Whey Isolate (i rotate flavors)
    I'm not worried about additives though, so...
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I understand, there's nothing wrong taking it. A little additives might not make the difference for most but I'm not sure if its fine for me.
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My friend recommended Revolutionary Technology Nutrition brand. I like the chocolate and the vanilla flavored whey protein. The ingredients list for the whey protein is whey protein blend (cold pressed micro/ultra filtered whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate), natural flavors, and Stevizyme (stevia, protease 1, protease 2, amylase, lipase, lactase). So just natural flavors, stevia sweetener, and enzymes.
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Only thing is, they're expensive. I don't buy a lot of it as I'm not a bodybuilder. I just get the 2 lb containers for when I want an occasional smoothie with protein or to mix in my oatmeal.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    On Whey gold standard. I have chocolate and vanilla ice cream flavor. They are delicious and blend really well. I love them in coffee, smoothies and even just shaken with water. They make a bunch of other flavors, and I'm betting they're delicious also. But protein is so expensive and I just can't justify buying a tub of strawberry flavor that I will eat once a month.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. We use the vanilla ice cream flavor to make flavored shakes or when I just want something basic. And the rocky road to cure sweet tooth. Really good mixed w/ almond vanilla milk or vanilla soy milk (light or regular), pb2 (peanut butter), and even add in a banana if you want. (Depending of course on the nutrients you need.) They even taste amazing just mixed with plain water. No gritty texture or residue as long as you mix with a shaker bottle or blender of course. And no horrible after taste. They haven't given me any digestion issues (which lower quality brands such as six star nutrition usually give digestion problems for most people).

There's also one by Fitmiss Delight-- Vanilla Chai which was alright but very weak and watery when mixed with even the minimal amount of water (4oz). If you try this one I would STRONGLY recommend mixing it with milk of some sort to thicken the shake or help the flavor retain.

Try some out, find what works for you. :smile:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Trutein cinnabun. It's not cheap though :(
  • SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Raw whey iso for me... From a local company...
  • derekberg2015
    derekberg2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Syntha 6 vanilla flavor.. 6 ice cubes 6 oz milk.. Great shake for morning/post workout
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Nutritech Whey Protein in chocolate flavour lol
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    On Whey gold standard. I have chocolate and vanilla ice cream flavor. They are delicious and blend really well. I love them in coffee, smoothies and even just shaken with water.

^This. Costco carries it locally.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Promax or Cyclone whey protein
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Star Nutrition whey-80, pistachio flavored.
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    WPC Bulk Nutrients
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Blah, I can't stand MuscleTech, they taste super weird to me. xP While speaking of brands I don't like, I was also highly disappointed with Designer Whey. I noticed they seemed to have a lot of cool flavors so I bought two tubs (one was Vanilla Praline and the other was Chocolate Velvet), but both just seemed to have either a very subtle taste or no taste at all. Not impressed in the slightest.
    Now, if you experience a situation where you're stuck with a bad protein powder, I noticed that for whatever reason if you blend it with ice and Silk's very vanilla soy milk, just about any protein powder will taste a lot better.
    Personally, my favorite protein powder brand is Quest. Now, it sort of pains me to say that because previously I used to just think Quest was overpriced and their bars never really impressed me too much (aside from a few flavors). However, they dominate the protein powder market, in my opinion. Worth every cent. They're a blend of whey isolate and casein, which I really like because it absorbs well and is slow releasing. Furthermore, they don't have any super scary ingredients with them, and have quite a bit of calcium per serving. My favorite Quest protein powder is their Vanilla Milkshake (because not only is it delicious, but it mixes with EVERYTHING from smoothies to even oatmeal, and a tablespoon of flavored nut butter will take it to new extremes of flavor). The Strawberries & Cream is also good, and reminds me of a strawberry shortcake. The Chocolate Milkshake is good, but is more milk chocolatey, and I was hoping for something darker. The Peanut Butter flavor was good, but tasted just like a sweeter version of powdered peanut butter (you could make a shake taste just like this flavor by mixing the Vanilla Milkshake powder with powdered peanut butter, to be honest). I never tried their unflavored mix, though.
    My brother uses MusclePharm's 100% whey isolate powders (he currently is on a tub of vanilla ice cream), and while I still prefer Quest, I found this to be very tasty, too! If you're not looking for casein, I would suggest this one, but personally 100% isolates just make me feel hungry and irritated about an hour later because they absorb way too fast.
    I know that was very wordy, but I hope it helps! I know a lot of places will send you samples in the mail if you write to them :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. I love double milk chocolate and banana (especially for smoothies). Mixes well, tastes great (even with water, though better with milk), no clumps, not too sweet.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Isopure No Carb Whey Protein in cookies and cream. 50 grams of protein in 2 scoops and I'm not sure about additives. But it's pretty good. Especially mixed with peanut butter!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Trutein
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you want a BS free version that's free of additives and pure, these guys make an awesome protein - but it's spendy - when you buy after the first time, there's discounts given through email marketing:

http://www.mynaturalforce.com/products/organic-whey-protein

Another is Legion Supplements - I am aiming to try Mike's version after I consume the one above. I have talked with Mike Matthews - he's a good guy and very open about his product and ingredients. It's close to Natural Force:

https://legionsupplements.com/products/supplements/whey/

Looks like they are out right now - that's testament to their demand levels.

AllMax makes one you can get at a Supplement Superstore or GNC store - it's okay. The cocoa is horrid, the vanilla is good - it does have a little soy in it but pretty pure too. If you are in a pinch.

The rest have a lot of filler and sucralose - just bad on the gut (at least for me).
  • autumneve14
    autumneve14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also Isopure. I use the unflavored stuff though, and add it into fruit/veggie smoothies for breakfast. It improves the texture immensely, but otherwise you can't even tell it's there.