Weight Watchers

Options
So last year I did not lose weight but I did lower my body fat percentage. W

My doctor is flummoxed, has ran all the tests she can think of and wants to send me to a nutritionist BUT my health insurance won't cover it (and I cannot afford it on my own) since I am not diabetic. *sigh* Meanwhile they will cover three months of WW(maybe you have to apply)to help with weight loss.

I have about 20-25lbs to lose and wonder if this is a good fit for me. Not to mention if I am still not losing weight is this a wasted benefit?

Has anyone used WW for a similar weight loss amount? Has it been helpful?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why not use MFP as it's free?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I say use the MFP tool. Put 100% effort, dedication and commitment to this and ITS FREE. This works and I do not beleive IMO that you NO NEED do both MFP and weight watchers.. CHOOSE ONE.

1) Get a food scale, weigh and log everything.

2) Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories.

3) Lift weights if you can

4) Cheat meals over maintenance sabotages all your efforts.

5) If a cheat meal happens LOG IT.

6) You can lose weight eating the same things you do... JUST EAT SMALLER PORTIONS and MODERATION.
    Best to choose foods to help you stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Find these stickies in the forms:
    Calorie Counting 101

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Set small goals instead a huge goals that may discourage you or prevent you from progressing.
  • TanyaS007
    TanyaS007 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have used WW in the past and it does work. It take an consistent effort to plan, prepare and track your meals and snacks. Concepts are very similar to MFP in that you can eat what you want in moderation. When I discovered MFP, I was pleased because I could use the same healthy habits I'd learned with WW and so far, its working for me as well. The bonus is that MFP is free. Free is always a plus... :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I only have about 20 lbs to lose too and IMO I feel weight watchers or anything else that costs money is not for people who don't have more than at least 50 lbs to lose. I've lost 6 lbs already just counting calories and moving more!
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think anything "can" work and weight watchers really is a reasonable concept and just transfers many of the nutrients we count here into POINTS - I did weight watchers in the past and did lose weight - I did gain it back but it was my fault (not the system).
  • clark59j_99
    clark59j_99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    WW is basically just a dumbed down version of CICO. As your weight changes your points change. If you exercise, you get more points. And they also tell you x amount of points should come from fat, carbs, protein. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it works for a lot of people. It's just an expensive alternative to MFP.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is not that much different than MFP (except) they count points and MFP counts actual calories and both do Activity.

1. MFP cost nothing it requires a little bit of your time and Honesty when it comes to amount of food you eat. MFP does not have Leaders, just us "everyday people" who understand the stresses of weight loss.

2. Weight Watchers cost $15-$50 per month (depends on plan), they dummy down the calorie counting to a point system and they also require you to be honest with how much you eat/ measure and weigh. They also have leaders that can lead you (for a short time) they now charge extra for this once free service.

See only difference is $ 15-50 or Free ....

• North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used WW online a few years ago and lost 22 pounds in 2 months and got to my goal weight. In my opinion, MFP is pretty much the same- other than the method by which you track calories- and it's free- that's why I use it. WW also has forums that you can post in for support like these.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Having done both, I prefer counting calories to points - they're scientifically "real", while points are a construct... I don't know- it mentally is more meaningful to me. Though, either one will work if you stick with it!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have done both and I definitely prefer WW. I was much more successful on WW. I find it less tedious and overall easier to follow. It's basically the same concept, eat less, move more and track, track, track. The only downside I found with WW is the cost. Which is why I do this....or I try anyway.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I lost weight doing WW. I was just getting started into a more healthy lifestyle and at the time I found it more accessible than full on calorie counting. Also for a lot of people having the accountability of going to a class and being weighed by another person really helps (I just did online).

Now I prefer MFP and counting calories. Although I lost weight on WW, I did end up skinny fat as I wasn't eating the right balance of macronutrients.

Give it a try. If it works for you, then great! It's what works for you that matters.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I lost 100+ lbs doing WW, but I maintain with MFP. I use that fee to purchase running shoes, etc.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I lost 108 pounds on WW and I use many of the tools learned there to this day. The only reason I am not currently a member is due to a change in my financial situation. There are two programs... one you count points and the other you do not. I know many people who have been successful on both programs. It would definitely benefit you to check it out and learn the programs. If nothing else you will learn more about eating healthier.
  • ntenna01
    ntenna01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For those asking why not just use MFP it's because we both (doctor and I) want someone to consult with me. While the last few months since my surgery have not been good .I really just got refocused last week due to a series of unfortunate eventS. Last year was different ... I regularly consumed between 1609-1800 calories daily. Actually did a lower carb diet because I slept better on it. Ran 4 days a week and did weights 2-3. I am a runner by passion and did obstacle course runs and this year a half marathon in October . There was literally no scale change although as I said BFP decreased. So she wants me to see someone who can fine tune diet hoping it helps
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    ntenna01 wrote: »
    For those asking why not just use MFP it's because we both (doctor and I) want someone to consult with me. While the last few months since my surgery have not been good .I really just got refocused last week due to a series of unfortunate eventS. Last year was different ... I regularly consumed between 1609-1800 calories daily. Actually did a lower carb diet because I slept better on it. Ran 4 days a week and did weights 2-3. I am a runner by passion and did obstacle course runs and this year a half marathon in October . There was literally no scale change although as I said BFP decreased. So she wants me to see someone who can fine tune diet hoping it helps

What not just consult with your physician?

I've used weight watchers in the past, and yes, it can work. The only difference is, you pay 40 bucks a month to count "points" and on MFP you count calories for free.

Weight watchers would be the only diet system/plan/wtfe I could say is safe. They dont require crazy pills, certain foods, meal replacements, etc etc. Just please remember, if you do join, there is no "zero point" food. Sure, you can eat all the 0-point pickles you want, but know that you ARE consuming calories, not to mention a crapton of sodium, and if you go over calories, you can expect a gain.
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    WW totally works!! And if you aren't interested in measuring or tracking, you can do the Simply Filling plan. I lost 50 pounds on WW eating out every day!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure what you are expecting as far as getting help with fine tuning your diet. They have food guidelines (eat fruit and veggies, get in three servings of milk, etc) and will give help if you ask, but they don't sit down with you individually and give you a meal plan to follow. They will still suggest that you weigh out your portions and log it. I'm really surprised that your doctor suggested WW and not a registered dietitian.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I like mfp becaise it suits me and its the basic version of cico. WW is reinterpreted so they can charge you money. the advanatage I cna see for some is you get some social interaction in real life which some people like and helps. If you arent losing its more or less becayse you arent at deficit, if having someone at ww telling you that will help and you wnat to meet people irl then go for it.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The best thing I liked about WW? When they would call me up to get my stickers or pens and be like "Holly has lost a total of 35 pounds!" haha! (i like competition!)

But, as we can see, I stop paying to go do a simplified CICO, and I gained back.
  • melipwalsh
    melipwalsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years but now do MFP. If you need a good start why not try WW and once you get the hang of it switch to MFP? Sometimes the new WW plan doesn't seem like it lets you have enough fat I feel. By counting calories I feel you can eat more satisfying food instead of a bunch of low fat empty calories. Also, 1600-1800 calories seems high. Have you entered all your info into MFP? I'm only allowed 1200. If I ate 1800 I would gain weight. Also with all that working out, are you eating enough protein? No matter which plan you use, if you stick with it, I know you will succeed! Like the cat poster in The Lego Movie says.... "Believe" :)