Pancakes

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I LOVE pancakes. I was thinking about making some tomorrow morning but would like a healther version. You guys are the best at helping me out. Got any ideas. Im all about being simple. :drinker:

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pancakes. I was thinking about making some tomorrow morning but would like a healther version. You guys are the best at helping me out. Got any ideas. Im all about being simple. :drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    ya know-- I just have good ol', regular, box mix buttermilk pancakes. I use 1/4 cup per pancake for me, and then measure 1/8 cup of syrup, and have no butter-- I don't know offhand what calories, but not astronomical--
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I got this from good ole MFP a while ago :happy:

Whole Grain Pancakes:
    1 c all purpose flour
    1/2 c wheat flour
    2 heaping Tbsp old fashioned oats
    2 heaping tbsp flax seed
    2 heaping tbsp cornmeal
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    sprinkle of nutmeg
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 c skim milk
    1/2 c plain nonfat yogurt
    2 tbsp butter, melted, plus 1 tsp for griddle
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine milk and yogurt in a large measuring cup, or medium bowl and set aside.
    In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Combine egg and vanilla in milk mixture, and pour over dry ingredients. Stir gently, just to combine, then cut in the 2 tbsp of melted butter. Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over med, med-low heat. Melt 1 tsp butter, and pour batter on. Cook about 2 minutes per side. As they finish, put them on a cookie sheet and keep in oven set to a low temp (175-200) to keep warm. Serve with real maple syrup.

Yield, 14 pancakes

Per pancake: 105 calories
    3.3 g fat
    1.4 g sat fat,
    9 g monosat.
    35.4 mg cholesterol
    167.2 mg sodium
  • Shannanrw
    Options
    I use regular boxed pancake mix. It's about 160 calories for (2) 4 inch pancakes. I skip the butter and use sugar free maple syrup which has 35 calories per 1/4 cup serving. I usually have a glass of milk with it to help with balancing the protein and carbs. Sugar free syrup is great when trying to save calories, compared to 220 calories per 1/4 cup serving of regular syrup. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:

Shannan
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I use regular boxed pancake mix. It's about 160 calories for (2) 4 inch pancakes. I skip the butter and use sugar free maple syrup which has 35 calories per 1/4 cup serving. I usually have a glass of milk with it to help with balancing the protein and carbs. Sugar free syrup is great when trying to save calories, compared to 220 calories per 1/4 cup serving of regular syrup. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:

Shannan

Yup, I totally agree with Shannon, sugar free syrup is the way to go! :smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Shannan

Oops! Sorry I spelled your name wrong Shannan! :blushing:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I love French toast.with whole wheat bread. You get your milk,your protein and whole grain. along with a orange and you have your complete meal. I used 1 T of light omega margarine and 1/8 sugar free syrup.. 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/2 c. ff milk, 1 egg lots of cimmamon and some splenda. In fact thats is what I am having for my Sunday morning breakfast.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love French toast.with whole wheat bread. You get your milk,your protein and whole grain. along with a orange and you have your complete meal. I used 1 T of light omega margarine and 1/8 sugar free syrup.. 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/2 c. ff milk, 1 egg lots of cimmamon and some splenda. In fact thats is what I am having for my Sunday morning breakfast.

I do this too! I use whole grain bread, and for the wash it's egg substitute, a little skim milk, vanilla, splenda, and cinnamon. I put apple sauce on mine b/c I don't really like syrup lol :smile:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you want "healthy," and not just "reduced calorie," make your pancakes from scratch with whole wheat flour, oats, and other grains, flax, maybe even some cottage cheese, and top them with a small amount of REAL maple syrup (which contains more nutrients than sugar or its chemical substitutes). They need to have lots of protein and fiber in them to make them the most satisfying and nutritious.

Sorry, I don't have time to come up with a recipe and post it, but I just wanted to make the point that "reduced calorie" is not necessarily healthier. If we are to sustain our weight loss and gain health while we lose pounds, calorie quality matters as well as quantity.

I second (or third) the french toast idea, too!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options

I do this too! I use whole grain bread, and for the wash it's egg substitute, a little skim milk, vanilla, splenda, and cinnamon. I put apple sauce on mine b/c I don't really like syrup lol :smile:

yummmmmmmmmmmm I had some for breakfast. I think I will just used egg whites next time to cut down on fat and sodium. If I can throw that beautiful egg yolk away.. I found the egg subt. has lot more sodium than real eggs. But less calories.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you want "healthy," and not just "reduced calorie," make your pancakes from scratch with whole wheat flour, oats, and other grains, flax, maybe even some cottage cheese, and top them with a small amount of REAL maple syrup (which contains more nutrients than sugar or its chemical substitutes). They need to have lots of protein and fiber in them to make them the most satisfying and nutritious.

Sorry, I don't have time to come up with a recipe and post it, but I just wanted to make the point that "reduced calorie" is not necessarily healthier. If we are to sustain our weight loss and gain health while we lose pounds, calorie quality matters as well as quantity.

I second (or third) the french toast idea, too!

When I was doing low-carb, I used to make flax pancakes and flax breads too, with just flax seeds and egg and can't remember what else. They were good! Keeps you regular too hah. :wink:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Shannan

Sugar free syrup is the way to go, if fact my kids use it now, and I have yet to hear the 1st complaint.....it's actually pretty darn good.

bty....don't bother with the zero calorie stuff----IMHO---NASTY