just eat one...

Options
my husband can do that. I have no idea how to do that myself. It is a constant battle with him bringing home items that he surely knows I will eat the whole package within one or two days. Or a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream that was last him one or two weeks larts me about an hour!

Replies

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I hate people like that. My mother ate like that. I still have trouble doing it with most things. for me it is better to have none than just one. I have made one adjustment. I buy single serving sizes of things like chips, I eat the whole bag. If it is 2 servings per bag I still eat the whole bag and count the 2 servings.

Good Luck to you
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Help him find products that he can eat by himself in one sitting so that nothing is left for you the next day.
    I told my husband to limit his sweet treats to outside the house -- no bringing stuff home until I feel more secure about my new lifestyle.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to be someone who couldn't just eat one. But I can now. A treat is a treat, and I log it before I eat it. I savor it, and eat it more slowly than I used to. By the time I'm done, I don't have craving for anymore.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You log it

Over time you begin to learn and adjust your psyche because yes I can eat more than one but if I do my supper is going to be nonexistent

Just keep logging you will get to an understanding of how your body works

Personally if I don't get to graze in the evening I am unhappy so I save a good few hundred calories for evening munching
  • Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Me and my brother are like that. We used to have(and still do) entite boxes of chocolate pralines but we'd never eat too many or finish an entire chocolate on our own. We just don't feel like it, my body wants something sweets and once it gets it it's happy.

However for some people it's not the same. I tried to help others to stop binging on sweets, went all the 'your body you'll get used to it over time' talk but it simply doesn't work. Some people, for different reasons(eating a lot of junk food/sweets for a long period of time seems to be one of them) won't stop thinking about those 2 raffaellos left in the box and won't be satisfied until they finish that pizza. This is however just my opinion based on some people in my life and might not be the case for everyone.

I got to the conclusion that is better not to have any sweets/junk in the house for those people. Ask your husband to hide the junk from you and maybe buy it without telling you so you won't be constantly thinking about it.
    When you want something sweet go out and buy something that comes in a small portion size and leave before you can get seconds and thirds! Good luck with it ;).
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My big issue is portion control. It's really hard to have treats in the house and not pick at them until they are gone. I had a bout of low blood sugar one day at the store, so I bought a package of oatmeal raisin cookies to get some sugar and energy quick and I didn't give up until I'd eaten the whole package. I just have to make sure I don't do that too often.
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Logging things before you eat them is definitely the way to go. If I don't, I will eat the whole thing and look back with regret, but if I log 1 serving of chocolate, I only eat 1 serving because thats all I can factor into my diet.

On my weaker days I buy something and have my one serving then throw the rest away. I also try to buy single portions of thing :)
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Theres a bunch of ways you can try to control yourself...BUT i have to say i have the same problem and its taken years and years for me to get it to a point where SOMETIMES i can control myself, maybe, if i really try hard.

To be honest the best advice i can give (and this is what i did) is if there is a food you cant control yourself around, do not buy it.

So for example for years i didn't buy peanut butter, bread or mayonnaise. Because those things i simply cannot have one serving of, i just go friggin crazy and eat LOADS of it. These days, now that i live with my other half he loves those food too so we do buy them, but i just dont eat them at all really.

If i do eat bread, i pre-made a sandwich for work, so when i eat it the bag of bread isnt anywhere near me, so i cant get seconds! Hehe! xx
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find it easier if I always have it around. If it is always available to me, I'll take a portion of it and store the rest. But if it is something that I don't usually have, I tend to eat the whole package in a short period of time.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Maybe buy things or treats that you can only eat one of.....there must be something!
    For example Ring Doughnuts, i can only eat one (200 ish cals).
    But something like Chocolate Biscuits (Cookies) - i can eat the whole packet without batting an eyelid (900 ish cals). Lol
    Needless to say, i don't buy them anymore. ;)
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You log it

Over time you begin to learn and adjust your psyche because yes I can eat more than one but if I do my supper is going to be nonexistent

Personally if I don't get to graze in the evening I am unhappy so I save a good few hundred calories for evening munching

This. I also decide the minimum I can eat of a treat and be satisfied. Less than two servings of ice cream is not worth it to me so I log two servings and have it when it fits. Doing this a container of ice cream (when did it stop being half a gallon??) lasted me almost two weeks, which was pretty much unheard of for me, that would have lasted two maybe three days. I just made it so it wasn't an option if it didn't fit for that day. It isn't easy, but it gets easier.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I hate people like that. My mother ate like that. I still have trouble doing it with most things. for me it is better to have none than just one. I have made one adjustment. I buy single serving sizes of things like chips, I eat the whole bag. If it is 2 servings per bag I still eat the whole bag and count the 2 servings.

Good Luck to you

you hate people with self control? interesting angle…

OP - learn moderation, it will pay off in the long run. At first, I had to keep things out of my house, but as I slowly reintroduced them, I had no problem just eating one. At any time, I have several pints of ice cream in the freezer, along with several packages of cookies in the pantry ….
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves oreos and whole milk(and so do I!) I tend to try to keep them in the house for him. But, I put them on the top cabinet shelf, where I can't physically see them, and I have to tip toe to get them if I want to. If they're out of sight, they're out of mind. Same with the Doritos, lol. I try to keep all my "trigger" foods out of reach. Put ice cream in he back of the freezer, hiden under other items. I don't think about them or grab them for some mindless snacking. When I want something sweet or "junky", I get out 1-2 servings(whatever I can allot that day), put the stuff back out of sight, and have my noms.

Don't hate on people with self control; hopefully you can be one soon! Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you have to learn self control.

is it hard for me to not touch all the yummy crap food hubby has at his desk.... yes, some days. But I do it. And when i dont, i log it.

the longer you log, and the longer you see how many calories are in *whatever* and how much it is costing you (either by slower weight loss, weight gain, by having to exercise more to 'pay' for it, or skipping a much more filling and satiating meal or snack, you learn to control yourself and make better choices. Pre-logging also can help.

If you have impulse or binging issues, you may need to seek professional help.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You log it

This !! Start logging everything and soon you'll learn to use portion control And moderation. You will see the error and learn from it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what rabbit said. the reason for loging is to help you understand wabout what you are eating and how much over or under you are as well as what foods contain what calories. you educate yourself, then if you are going to eat the ice cream you cna make an informed choice.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You log it

This !! Start logging everything and soon you'll learn to use portion control And moderation. You will see the error and learn from it.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,001

• LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Logging my food has helped a lot. When I see how many calories a cookie has, I rethink before I have another one. I think some people like myself crave carbs and sugar, perhaps bad eating habits as a child or maybe genes I compare this to an alcoholic who can not have just one drink. Do I have will power because I can limit my alcohol to one glass of wine a week? NO. Because my body doesn't crave it. As my weight has gone down and my exercise has gone up, the cravings are much less. Hope the same will hold true for you.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It's called making a choice. Once you make up your mind... The game is over. Your body has no choice but to obey. Your body can't even move it's little finger without the brain first telling it to... Much less pick up some food, put it in your mouth and chew. So simply make your choice. Personally.... I'm such a control freak that I would rather control myself now than wait and have someone tell me what to do. My control issues and sheer stubbornness are a lot greater than my sweet tooth.