stay at home mom trying to lose 100+

Options
2»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    wingsofair wrote: »
    I was 281 at nine months pregnant. I had my son and went down to 265, now I'm 242. I started by just doing the calorie allowance, and just recently I've been switching to even healthier versions of my old foods. I do plain oatmeal instead of flavored and add my own fruit or honey. It still tastes sweet and it saves tons of sugar and calories. Sugar basically equals the same thing as fat so you want to slowly cut down the amount you have in your diet. I also don't really eat dairy, I drink almond milk and will just have the occasion cheese slice. There's a lot of sugar in milk, bread, tomato sauce, pretty much everything. I add a lot of vegetables to meals that do involve meat or pasta, but for the most part I'm trying to make eggs my main sauce of protein. Good luck! I have a three month old and am currently a stay at home mom so I know how hard it can be. Just make small changes gradually and take it one day at a time :)

No it doesn't... So much wrong here.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    FSScese.jpg

Consider food prepping to cut down on time spent in the kitchen and to get your calorie intake/ portion size in check. Lastly a one hr workout is about 4% of a day, it is a rarity to meet an individual who cannot spare 4% of their day.

*thumbs up all over that pic*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was 281 at nine months pregnant. I had my son and went down to 265, now I'm 242. I started by just doing the calorie allowance, and just recently I've been switching to even healthier versions of my old foods. I do plain oatmeal instead of flavored and add my own fruit or honey. It still tastes sweet and it saves tons of sugar and calories. Sugar basically equals the same thing as fat so you want to slowly cut down the amount you have in your diet. I also don't really eat dairy, I drink almond milk and will just have the occasion cheese slice. There's a lot of sugar in milk, bread, tomato sauce, pretty much everything. I add a lot of vegetables to meals that do involve meat or pasta, but for the most part I'm trying to make eggs my main sauce of protein. Good luck! I have a three month old and am currently a stay at home mom so I know how hard it can be. Just make small changes gradually and take it one day at a time :)

yes your calorie allowance is the key

Sugar is not the same thing as fat at all .. AT ALL!

Dairy is lovely unless you're lactose intolerant - I mean c'mon now 0% Greek Yogurt is a staple for the amount of protein it offers, and cheese .. seriously man cannot live with cheese (OK some men can, but this woman can't)

Sugar is your friend not your enemy

• minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My baby is 3 months old. I gained about 60 lbs while pregnant & was about 60 lbs overweight before getting pregnant. I have lost almost 50. It's effing hard... I walk everyday with baby in the stroller, I joined a strengthening class as the gym & I log everything I put into my body.

My key advice if you are concerned about portion control & want to lose - buy yourself a food scale & weigh every portion. And log absolutely everything you eat. Good luck!!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    As a SAHM of 4 (ages 5 and under), I completely understand! My problem is portion control and not exercising. I can make excuse after excuse, but it comes down to "I really don't want to". Do I want to be healthy? Yes. Do I act like it? No. My suggestion is to start out small with lifestyle changes. Prep your food to save time. Get rid of all rubbish and junk. Get rid of soda if you drink it. Drink plenty of water. Put in an exercise dvd while the baby naps. I've got 4 so none of them nap at the same time (if they even nap) so that makes it harder. Plus my husband works crazy odd hours. You can do do it!!!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    aewaters10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I mean "get moving and eat better" is a no-brainer, but if it was that easy, why would so many people need help losing weight? It's just not that simple in practice, well it is, it's just not easy. Anyone with toddlers or babies also live in a hot humid climate? I hate going outside in 90+ degree weather with 75% or more humidity, and I feel like it can't be good for a 1 year old to be out in that heat for very long. I love the hiking backpack idea, I wish I still lived in the mountains near Seattle, but I live in Houston now,mand I feel like that in itself has contributed greatly to my weight gain. Keep the advice coming :D especially anything helpful that doesn't require too much outdoor time. Not to say that if getting outside is the best way to get results I wont do it :)

Don't mean to be harsh, but this is just a list of excuses you've built up to justify your current state.

Simply put, things need to change and you need to get uncomfortable. If it's hot where you are you need to be active early morning or in the evening.

If you are spending time watching TV after the kids are in bed, that's the time you need to doing something positive for yourself.

As others have said, purge your house of junk and crap food. It's going to be hard, but if you can stick to it for a month it gets much easier as it starts to become your default position. two months and you should be locked in.

The motivation can't come from here, it has to come from you. Good luck!

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    seriously man cannot live with cheese (OK some men can, but this woman can't)

Bite your tongue, woman! :)
  • wingsofair
    wingsofair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Let me be more specific: sugar as it comes in the form of processed foods is the enemy because it causes harsh blood sugar spikes that are rarely worked off and get turned into fat. Sugar that comes paired with fiber and thus takes time and energy to digest and gives a slow constant blood sugar spike is not turned into fat because we have time to work it off. One of my new favorite food documentaries on Netflix is "fed up" which goes into a nice little diagram about it. I'd also recommend watching pretty much all of the food-a-mentories on Netflix because it's a good foundation to knowing what we are eating, and why the American lifestyle is so unhealthy in its current form (and why so many of us are on this website)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Let me be more specific: sugar as it comes in the form of processed foods is the enemy because it causes harsh blood sugar spikes that are rarely worked off and get turned into fat. Sugar that comes paired with fiber and thus takes time and energy to digest and gives a slow constant blood sugar spike is not turned into fat because we have time to work it off. One of my new favorite food documentaries on Netflix is "fed up" which goes into a nice little diagram about it. I'd also recommend watching pretty much all of the food-a-mentories on Netflix because it's a good foundation to knowing what we are eating, and why the American lifestyle is so unhealthy in its current form (and why so many of us are on this website)

Still no... just no.
  • Cantstopmyshine1993
    Cantstopmyshine1993 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 2. 14 months & 1 month. I know how you feel with the stay home thing. Feel free to add me & message me & we can talk!
  • lyndsmer
    lyndsmer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I mean "get moving and eat better" is a no-brainer, but if it was that easy, why would so many people need help losing weight? It's just not that simple in practice, well it is, it's just not easy. Anyone with toddlers or babies also live in a hot humid climate? I hate going outside in 90+ degree weather with 75% or more humidity, and I feel like it can't be good for a 1 year old to be out in that heat for very long. I love the hiking backpack idea, I wish I still lived in the mountains near Seattle, but I live in Houston now,mand I feel like that in itself has contributed greatly to my weight gain. Keep the advice coming :D especially anything helpful that doesn't require too much outdoor time. Not to say that if getting outside is the best way to get results I wont do it :)

Hi there! I'm a SAHM in Katy. I'm going to add you. Once we're "friends" here id be happy to give you my contact info if you want. We can walk through the zoo or something sometime :)
  • gerry3210
    gerry3210 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you fall, get up and try again. Just keep trying, put time in focusing on your goal and getting motivated. For me it was giving up processed carbs and sugar one day at a time. I did not think it was possible and still find it hard to believe. I am down 57 lbs since 12/27/14, from 300 lbs.
  • aewaters10
    aewaters10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I want to kayak and hike and be outdoorsy again, but it is hard when you are overweight.

I used to believe this, too. It's false. If you want to be outdoorsy again - start doing the things you want to do outdoors. Hiking, biking, running, playing softball, playing soccer, etc. do not have a weight limit. The more you do it, the healthier you will get.

More importantly, why are you putting your life on hold? How long are you willing to put off living? Are you going to make your baby stay inside with you and not live his/her life, too?
    Well a lot of the things I love about being outdoors in Washington don't exist in Texas, but I ask myself the same question, I do put off enjoying my life, and there is no reason for it but self defeating inner monologue, if I could just turn it off I wouldn't be here right now, and I wouldn't have these problems. Stress and depression linked food addiction is just as real and debilitating as any other kind of addiction. As for my baby, well that is exactly why I want to get healthy. I don't sequester myself indoors, I just don't want to die of heat stroke by exerting myself in ridiculously hot conditions. (many people my age that are from here tell me they did not play outside much as children because of the weather, I lived outside all year long in Washington growing up, so that was very odd to me)
  • aewaters10
    aewaters10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Don't mean to be harsh, but this is just a list of excuses you've built up to justify your current state.
    I by no means justify my state, I am well aware that this is unacceptable. Also, I don't know if you have ever lived in a humid climate, but Houston has the uncanny ability of getting hotter at night than it was at dusk and even if the temps go down the humidity goes up, which is more uncomfortable than just being hot haha. That's not an excuse, it is just the truth :P I suppose my concern that is is too hot for my baby might be unwarranted, I mean babies lived here before there was air conditioning, but it makes me sad to see her uncomfortable... That's an excuse but it wont stop me from taking her out with me.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, love and believe in yourself no matter what.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you really helped me reading this, I have my weight down but it is still easy to pick up old habits like right now I ate pizza, froze some and could easily go get it back out and eat some more. But I know we have to take care of ourselves so I am making myself behave. I am 61 but I want to run with the grandkids, get on playground, hike, kayak, just live life and I feel so much better fitting in my clothes and when things get depressing I say well at least my weight is down and that makes me feel good. You can do it, you have to set your mind to it and log those calories and say enough is enough and don't be greedy. You have to decide to take care of you and make yourself a priority!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options

I live in Austin, and six weeks after I had my baby, I got out in the evenings in the hot July temperatures and got my a.s.s. running, pushing my baby in the stroller. I hated it. But I hated being fat and out of shape more.

The only answer is this: Just f*cking do it.

great advice!
  • wrl11
    wrl11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have a treadmill or exercise machine at home? Get on it in short periods when you can get away from your child. Get on it while you watch your favorite TV show. Just walking, not running. Get on it when you are talking on the phone to friends. It will add up through the day. It absolutely does not need to be one big 90 minute period, break it up.

On the food side, allow no junk food in the house period. No soda. Your husband can keep his at work or in the car. Instead put nuts, fruits in bowls on the counter. When you get hungry, grab something out of the bowl. Your kid will pick this up at a young age and actually prefer water and juice to soda when given a choice and fruits and vegetables to junk also. Mine do. Obviously no alcohol if your are serious about weight loss, but I assume you are not drinking anyway due to the young kid and nursing.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try starting every single morning with a big glass of cold water (I would actually suggest a warm green tea, but if heat is an issue then by all means do cold). Drink a cup of water a few minutes before every meal to help feel more full before you eat. Plus having to pee all the time keeps you more active. I would also suggest wearing leg weights around the house, even 2 pounders or something easy like that. After a few minutes they feel like a part of your body and you feel amazing when you take them off. As so many others have mentioned, rid your house of junky food, eat within/below your calories, and find a way to exercise that you enjoy. Why not get a membership to the public pool if it's so uncomfortably humid? Granted I'm Canadian, but our local public rec centres offer super cheap passes to the gym and other facilities, what's more, often children under a certain age are free.