New to mfp...trying to lose 100+ pounds

Options
I will be turning 40 in about a month, and I know I can't lose all this before then, but it's time I start trying. I'm a mother of two girls, and one grandbaby. I know, I'm a yound grandma :)
I started about a week ago on here and it has helped me tremendously as far as realizing how quickly these foods add up. I've lost 4 pounds in 8 days. I plan to start exercising soon, and maybe that will boost it even more. I need support though, so please feel free to add me

Replies

• futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting this journey! It's a great attitude to have. Just remember to take it one day at a time and to really track everything you eat.
  • AmyLD88
    AmyLD88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been adding everything. I had a bad day last Friday when I went to happy hour for margaritas and chips, but other than that one day, I've been doing pretty good. I tracked after the fact, because I think I would have not had so many if I realized how much they were. It was very painful adding it to my diary log lol
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One big help for me to stay on track is to figure out and log what I am going to eat before I even start eating each day so that I don't leave anything up to guess work. I get myself in trouble real fast if I eat first and log later. Of course, there are times when you just don't know what your food is going to be, but as a day in and day out routine, I work out my menus beforehand, print it out and know exactly what I am going to have. That's just one tip that has helped me on this journey.

Also, remembering and reminding yourself why you have chosen to get healthy and fit on the days when all you want to do is shove your face in a bag of Cheetos or ice cream or something like that. Clearly defining and then writing down your goals and posting them where you can see them daily is a great idea. Realizing that if you want the weight to stay off forever this has to be a LIFESTYLE and not a diet. For me looking ahead and realizing this is how I eat now and no I won't ever get all the pie and cookies I want but the beauty is once I have been without them for a while they no longer hold any power over me. (You may not be addicted to sweets at all, but I certainly was and if I'm not careful they will woo me back in!).

Outside of healthy eating, weight lifting and/or exercise is a must. Once you get started hopefully you will develop a love for it and never want to stop!

Good luck in your endeavors. Always feel free to ask me anything and if I can help you I certainly will!

Patti
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Start off with small, realistic goals and build on your successes. I've lost over 100 pounds, but it took me 4 years to do it. Small changes, physical activity, and perseverance pays off.
  • AmyLD88
    Options
    Thank you all for these tips and words of encouragement! I will take these to heart, and try to make it a lifestyle change. My ultimate goal is 100+ pounds but my realistic goal is seeing that second number drop by 1...i.e., the 5 in 250 needs to change to a 4....
  • AmyLD88
    Options
    Which, by the way....happened today! Woohoo!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Now get to work on making that 4 a 3!!! You can do it!!! :D
  • DJohnson80m
    DJohnson80m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome I am in the same boat. I'm trying to lose about the same amount of weight and I'm 35. If you ever need some motivation, I'll be your battle buddy
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started 28 days ago, lost 9 lbs! Hoping for 11 on Saturday! I've got 109 left to lose. I'll add you as a friend!
  • shauna913
    shauna913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am new too!!!! I turned 40 last September and realized it was time I start living. I have 100+ pounds to lose...we could encourage each other
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Start off with small, realistic goals and build on your successes. I've lost over 100 pounds, but it took me 4 years to do it. Small changes, physical activity, and perseverance pays off.

I think the single best advice for me was making small changes. I had done big changes so many times before with only temporary success. When I finally decided I was going down the scale for good this time I realized while YES I can restrict myself to almost nothing and lose it quickly, I was more interested in losing it permanently and for me not to rebel against what I was doing the changes had to be nice and slow. Now, 4 1/2 years later and 170 lb down I can honestly say it works...and I feel WAY younger at 52 than I did at 40..or 30 for that matter!!