I hate men....

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So, I've been at this weight loss fitness business for quite a while, intentionally with MFP for over a year. Now, my husband and son, who are both overweight, are in a weight loss "challenge", which is great for them, since my husband is in the obese category and Type II diabetic, and my son who is only 26 is already seeing issues with hypertension and high cholesterol. However, my son has just started tracking, and he is allowed 2300 calories yet he'll still lose. Yesterday, he said he was under by 600 because he's cut back to one soda a day. This is great, but I am also so jealous, since my average allowance, even when active is only around 1300-1500 and under 1200 if not super active (I'm tiny and old --5'1.5" and 56). I've started using a FitBit HR, which I sync with MFP, and I got under 1400 calories, even doing a zumba class and and a 1 1/2 mile walk. Despite eating small nutrient dense, low calorie meals, watching my macros, etc, , I am often still hungry. I have pretty good self-control and try to stave off nightime hunger by drinking a cup of flavored tea at night before bed, but when I wake up in the morning, I have to eat right away or I'm about ready to pass out. I'd love to have 1800 calories and still lose, but there's only so much I can up my activity level. Any other gals out here have similar "Calorie envy" with their guy friends/family members?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Aren't you glad you're not obese though? Aren't you happy to be at a healthy weight?
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    my husband and son eat ice cream EVERY night to try to gain weight!!! Now that sucks!!! There's days I want to kill them both.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My son can eat 3000 and lose...he is 21 6 ft 4 and is about 225. He would lose 2lbs a week at that rate.

My husband is 5 ft 11 33 and about 185 he can eat 2800 a day and lose..he maintains on about 3300.

They are men, they are bigger, have more muscle mass, typically have physical jobs etc. Do I envy them heck no...I eat 1800 a day and lose and I am not hungry...remember they are men, big men....would you really want to eat all that food everyday? I wouldn't.

If you want to eat more food exercise more. But based on what I see you are eating more than you think anyway.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I too am allowed approx. 1300 before exercise, and my dear hubby is allowed approx. 1800-2000 before exercise. He also loses more than I do on a weekly basis, but then again he does have more to lose!
    In order to keep from getting hungry, I make sure I eat all of my allotted protein, lots of vegetables and fruit and some of my carbs. I also drink lots of water. If I get hungry in the evening a cup of 1% milk seems to take the edge off, along with a banana or a piece of pumpernickel toast with peanut butter. I always try to plan my meals so I have room for a snack at night because night time is my struggle.
    Hope this helps, hang in there.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sucks when I'm hungry so often, and I'm packing my boyfriend's lunch and seeing all the stuff he gets to eat. Basically his lunch & snacks = my entire calorie allowance for the day.
    Plus when he loses, he loses more, faster. But he is a mechanic so he's on his feet all day and active most of the time. I have a desk job, so I don't burn as many calories throughout the day.
    And yeah, dudes are supposed to eat more.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm going to come back as a man in my next life. :D
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Dudes suck...My husband literally eats 3 times more than me and stays thin. He also can just add an additional walk around the park each day and lose a few pounds. What I do love about him is that he loves me no matter what size and truly only wants me to be healthy.
    I did WW years ago with a guy friend, he never counted wine, which he indulged in nightly AND he lost twice as fast as me. The good thing is that years later, he is back to his old weight (ok, maybe that's not so good) but I am lighter than I was back then. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    That's just the way it is, get used to it. You can't compare yourself to anyone with a bigger mass than you, someone younger, and especially not someone male. You have different hormones to consider too.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain OP...lol. It took me a year to lose 20 pounds here on MFP (not complaining about that...just stating a fact) so my fiance decided to try it and he lost 20 pounds in two months. I understand your "calorie envy". In the evening he will want to go "out" to eat because he still has tons of calories while I have a few hundred left. But then again he has a more active job while I set at a desk all day. It still gets me thought!
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am a short guy 5'4 and with my working out I'm eating almost 2300 calories and still maintaining. For a while when losing i was around 1500-1750 with workout. I have found lately the more water I drink the less I want to eat. It also seems to help me be able to eat more and still lose.

I used to hate water, but i started a challenge at beginning of month. No soda, energy drinks, fast food, or booze. i am on day 27 now and I actually crave water more than the others. I still don't drink as much as I should, but i'm slowly getting there.

Moral of story, try increasing your water intake over time and less sugary drinks and see how it works for your hunger and weight loss.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    My son can eat 3000 and lose...he is 21 6 ft 4 and is about 225. He would lose 2lbs a week at that rate.

My husband is 5 ft 11 33 and about 185 he can eat 2800 a day and lose..he maintains on about 3300.

They are men, they are bigger, have more muscle mass, typically have physical jobs etc. Do I envy them heck no...I eat 1800 a day and lose and I am not hungry...remember they are men, big men....would you really want to eat all that food everyday? I wouldn't.

If you want to eat more food exercise more. But based on what I see you are eating more than you think anyway.

I have another son who is 6'3" and around 200 lbs. He was never overweight, but does strength training and the whole "bulking/cutting" thing. Anyway, he lost 35 lbs. in about two months by reducing his intake. I have no idea what "reduced" means since he was still eating at least four meals a day! I'd buy 1+ lbs. packages of chicken breasts which he'd consume in one meal!

No, I wouldn't want to eat 2300+ every day. That's too much food. But 1800 would be nice.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My husband who is thin already can eat pizza, burgers, pizza, cheesesteaks, and junk food galore for a week and still lose weight. So not fair!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my question is how come you are all hungry? seriously?

being hungry is not a good thing.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was you...sans the men...almost a year ago...then I worked on building muscle...at almost 2000 cals/day now and have finally stopped losing weight. i'm almost 53 and 5ft 1, so it can be done. I agree with the others...don't compare yourself with them. Work on your journey. I have a feeling it's about your current muscle mass.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Seems like you are doing everything right based on what you said and what you've been logging. If you are hungry all the time maybe try eating a little more protein (although your protein intake looks pretty good). Protein tends to "fill you up" better than fat and carbs. Also, try to let go of the stuff you can't control. Yes, men can eat more than women typically because we have more muscle mass and are usually just bigger. Sorry. This will never change though. So just worry about what YOU can do.

Make sure you are weighing your food. Log accurately, honestly and consistently. And most importantly, have patience and be persistent. You will have your bad days where you binge on that cake or whatever. Don't let that ruin your overall goals. Just log the binge and start over the next day.

Again, from what I see you are doing great. Your body will adjust and the hunger won't be as bad but it takes time. Use your will power to get through the tough times but make logging routine.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I am 6'4" tall and around 248 pounds, my daily intake is 1700 to lost 2 pounds a week. I'm not typically hungry, but I have been known to go over my calories.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Honestly I burn 800-2,000 calories a day in exercise (yes, 2000. Wednesdays are a hectic exercise day for me. Tuesdays (800) not so much. 1,200-1,300 is about the average, I think) and I struggle to eat even 50% of them back so heck no I do not envy that. Somewhere around 1,800-2,000 is just fine for me - and even then I have to eat a chocolate bar or two otherwise I'd not get near it. Losing 1-1.5 lb/week depending how many exercise cals I manage to eat back.

(5'4, 152lbs, 25)
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my question is how come you are all hungry? seriously?

being hungry is not a good thing.

Eating to satiation is what got most of us here in the first place.