Rate of Weight Loss

Options
Hi there!
I have started losing weight, but the progress has been slow!!
I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that the weight started dropping quicker after a few months? Or was it always slow but steady?
If the weight did start dropping at a faster pace was it just because of consistency and time or was it due to something else you changed?

Thanks Guys

Replies

• ClaudiaMessenger
    ClaudiaMessenger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has never been consistant in my opinion. I've been on my weight loss journey for over 2 years, I've lost around 60 lbs in that time and I want to lose about 20 more.

When I first started the first 15 lbs came off very quickly, then since that time some months it seems to not shift at all, then come off quickly again. Although I think it was most probably down to the effort I was putting in, sometimes I didn't understand how I'd lost weight when I'd had a cheat day or two.

Now that I am a healthy weight (according to BMI) my weight loss takes a lot more effort. I hadn't lost a significant amount of weight for about 6 months (I wasn't really trying) then last month I decided enough is enough and I want those vanity pounds off!

Good luck with your journey! I hope this helps in the way that sometimes you just can't always predict weight loss!
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been averaging 10 pounds/month for the last 15 months.
  • DavidKempe19
    DavidKempe19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can plateau for a number of reasons. One of these reasons could be that you are gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat). Another could be to do with water retention (think carbs and sodium). As long as you keep adjusting your calories as you lose weight, you will continue to lose weight. Better measurements of progress with regards to body composition include ones involving tape measures or fat percentage.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Every person's body reacts differently. Don't look just at calories at the end of the day. Pay attention to your macros. I've noticed for example that my progress will slow if dietary fat or sodium goes too high, even if the actual calorie count is ok. This happens even regardless of exercise minutes.

A others have pointed out, loss is frequently not linear.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    It would help to know what defines "slow" for you, and what your objective is.

Are you logging reliably? Exercising?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MaddieHard wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I have started losing weight, but the progress has been slow!!
    I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that the weight started dropping quicker after a few months? Or was it always slow but steady?
    If the weight did start dropping at a faster pace was it just because of consistency and time or was it due to something else you changed?

Thanks Guys

weight loss isn't fast...it just isn't. If anything, weight loss slows the longer you diet. The smaller the fat stores, the slower it tends to go. You shouldn't go any faster than 1% of your body weight per week...and even that can be pushing it and can often require a substantial and often unsustainable energy deficit. Most people do well at about 0.5% of their body weight as a rate of loss goal.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it the "right" way (not crash dieting) I think it goes a lot slower--but is more sustainable. I can lose weight quick on something like atkins but it goes back on super fast if I fall off for even a few days. With calorie counting I seem to be a lot more steady in my loss and if I have a day or two that I backslide it ends up okay in the end.