low fat lunchbox ideas

Options
donnat1982
donnat1982 Posts: 1 Member
looking for ideas for lunch that i can make to take to work with me.. bored of sandwiches and cereal :-( thanks

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    pasta salad?
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing, don't have too many ideas!

I usually swap sandwiches for wraps, or a pasta. Then sometimes I take a few crackers and a low-fat cheese spread. Or if I'm feeling very awake the night before, I'll cook a vegetable stir fry and take it in a lunch box, yummy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Broth based soups.

Low fat cottage cheese & fruit. Whole wheat crackers, and veggies on the side.

Salads are great, so many options. I like greens, grilled chicken, snap peas, mandarin oranges (you can skip the almonds, or chow mien noodles...yum) and Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing....only 36 calories for 2 Tbls.

A chicken taco salad is good....mix salsa with low fat sour cream.....or Greek yogurt. You could add fat-free cheddar shreds. Fat free cheese is OK on a salad....but it doesn't really melt so it's weird on hot things. Get some baked Dorito chips....or you can skip those.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Lunch is often a grilled chicken breast and whatever vegetable I have: stewed squash with Vidalia onion, black eyed peas (I like to add tomato, onion, and jalapeno), any type of greens (I especially like collards and turnips), roasted carrots, 1/2 a baked sweet potato with cinnamon/Stevia and Smart Balance butter spread, etc.

Another good lunch idea is tuna or chicken salad. There are so many variants on recipes it's difficult to get bored.

• krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I normally do steamed veggies like broccoli, carrots, snap peas with baked chicken. I also do grab and go salads with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and shredded chicken or turkey pastrimi. I do a light dressing most times. Soups are also great when in a hurry. You just put all your veggies in your pot, and you can even include your chicken in there for a filling lunch. Grilled salmon with stir fry veggies, or steamed vegetables with mashed sweet potatoes and corn with a lean meat. All these options are delicious.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC where I was buying quionoa bowls from a deli and they were charging me $11 which is rediculous. I started making my own and they are even more delicious.
    You can cook up a bunch of quinoa according to package directions and add whatever veggies and proteins you like almost like a salad:
    - I like fresh cucumbers, sauteed kale, shredded carrots, jalapeno, and grilled chicken. You can even throw a poached egg on top and than top it with korean barbecue sauce or just siracha and lime juice. SO yummy!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cook batches of soup, stew, chili, stuffed peppers, meatballs, etc on weekends and freeze in individual containers so I can grab and go. If I'm feeling like I want a salad or I have leftovers from my dinner, I pack it up at night and take that in the morning.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You could do big batches of soups and the possibilities are endless with salads.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have either leftovers from dinners, or I pull out stuff I made and froze. Skinnytaste.com has great recipes(if you didn't know that already). many are great for making big batches of- chicken ropa, sweet barbacoa pork, santa fe chicken, etc then I divy up into individual servings and freeze. pull one out in the morning, pair it w/ a small salad and/or some brown rice or pasta, and voila. I'm also big on soups, stews and chilis. I put some sweet barbacoa pork on leftover grilled sweet potato slices the other day.. so good!
    I also make taco meat from beef and pork roasts leftovers, rotisserie chicken leftovers, etc and put that on top of salads, rice, pasta, potatoes or zoodles. very very good!