Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is this a pain or is it just me?

decu68
decu68 Posts: 78
I'm talking about entering all of this data, multiple times a day; is this a pain?

I have to enter my breakfast at 07:00, I have to enter my meal at 10:00, I have to enter my lunch at 12:00, I have to enter my meal at 14:30, I have to enter my dinner at 18:00; plus enter any snacks I have throughout the day. What more is finding the right item as there are so many available that are close but not exact and times where I have to create a correct one for myself. And then there are meals that I don't want to continue to breakdown so I create a recipe to call upon it later should we have the same thing again to save time.

I've only been doing this since Tuesday, May 3, 2011 but it is very time consuming. I also forgot, I work out 4 days a week and then have to add that; more time entering. It seems that is all I'm doing. I think my wife is getting a little ticked as I'm now having her supply me the information from the meals she makes so I c an record all of this accurately. I think I'm going slowly crazy?

Seems like a lot of work; does anybody else feel this way too?

Keep in mind I'm not trying to lose weight, just the opposite. I'm am doing this to see what I'm eating to clean up my meals in order to determine where I'm at a loss. Right now I'm too low on calories, too low on carbohydrates, too low on proteins but over on the fat and the sodium. I want to get bigger so that I can feed the muscle to get stronger but first I needed to see where I was deficient. Once I have this on track perhaps I can curb this endless entering.

Replies

• Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    I usually plan out my day and do it all at once. It is a time saver and keeps me on track. If something changes, I just alter it. :wink:
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    IF you have an android or iphone, it makes it a lot easier. Downloading the app makes it quicker on the go and you can scan the barcodes. Maybe just log everything at once at the end of the day?
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Typically, I'll enter all my meals in the morning and just plan it that way. That way by the end I'm not grabbing for snacks or not eating enough and I know I was within my limits. Also, when I enter my exercises in the morning and plan my meals in correlation, makes me stick to the workouts. It is tedious to log on every 2 hours to enter but regardless, food and exercise journals are very helpful. :)
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    It can definitely be time-consuming - and yes, sometimes a little aggravating for those who might cook your meals. But if you're serious about seeing where you're deficient, it's vitally necessary.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    I have the app on my phone so not a pain at all! You could keep a note of what you eat and enter it all at once?
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Typically, I'll enter all my meals in the morning and just plan it that way. That way by the end I'm not grabbing for snacks or not eating enough and I know I was within my limits.

Exactly, it's easy!
  • skittybang
    IF you have an android or iphone, it makes it a lot easier. Downloading the app makes it quicker on the go and you can scan the barcodes. Maybe just log everything at once at the end of the day?

Wait, what? If you have the iphone you can scan barcodes??? how?? That sounds awesome!
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Of course its time consuming. But there really isn't any easier way to record everything you're eating. You want to keep track of it... so it takes some time to do so.
    I have an ipod touch, so I downloaded the app and that helps A LOT because you don't have to sit down at a computer and do it all.. you can just do it while on the go.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    I have the app on my phone which helps a lot, I did have trouble finding the right foods in the beginning but the ones I use most often are listed when I add my meals. I immediately saw how unhealthy I was eating when I started my food diary and it has motivated me to change my eating habits. So for that reason I take the time to log my foods and excercise. I have made good lifestyle choices as a result. I guess it's not for everyone but I love it! Good luck!
  • decu68

I have the app on my droid; the LG Optimus One. You can scan bar codes with this thing? So how do you do this?

The thing is, I can't remember all of the time what I ate and would hate to miss out on something. I will have to give this more thought.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    I usually plan out my day and do it all at once. It is a time saver and keeps me on track. If something changes, I just alter it. :wink:

I agree and do the same thing. :happy:
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    I bet you are learning a lot about what you put in your body that you had no understanding of before you started journaling.
    Consider your goal and ask yourself if it is worth the effort. I think it is.
  • decu68
    I have the app on my droid; the LG Optimus One. You can scan bar codes with this thing? So how do you do this?

I just found it; did not know that even existed. And if you had not brought this up I would not even know what those lines meant. I will have to give this a try. Sadly only works for purchased foods not meals put together however this will come in hand. THANK YOU.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
    I add all of mine at once because I know what I am going to have....since I have packed lunches! If it changes I can just make the switch. I don't find it that time consuming as I usually have the same thing for lunch and I programmed it in as a meal. I even have my gin & tonic programmed in as a meal so I can just select it quickly without having to add all of the components. I find it easier than other sites. I hope it works out for you. It is a great site! I have lost 37 pounds since Jan 18 by using MFP.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Wait, what? If you have the iphone you can scan barcodes??? how?? That sounds awesome!

I have the app on my android phone and you can scan barcodes on that, but I also have it on my iPod and you can't there, however my iPod has no camera so maybe the iPhone one is different!?!
  • skittybang
    Just read the update blog .... not available on the iphone yet :( booo
  • decu68
    I bet you are learning a lot about what you put in your body that you had no understanding of before you started journaling.
    Consider your goal and ask yourself if it is worth the effort. I think it is.

You are correct, I have learned quite a bit about what I'm eating. I always knew I wasn't eating enough and now I know and where I am deficient. Hard eating 4000 calories a day but I'm hoping with some supplements I can increase this so that calories, carbohydrates and proteins are increased.

Good Point.
  • Try teamwork with your wife. My husband works outside all day so he makes his breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks the night before. He measures and writes everything down as he makes it and then I enter everything into the computer for him as he is packing it. That way I can tell him if he is having to many carbs/fat or if he needs to take a different snack, up his protein, etc. It really does help! Yes it is a lot of work, but working together definitely makes it easier. Good luck!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I usually get on in the morning and add my breakfast and lunch (since I pack). Then after dinner I add the rest. When you ask your wife her ingredients you say she's annoyed. Why not help her prepare dinner so that you can record it yourself? Add them under recipes and save them so they're already there the next time you need to enter them.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member

Well, I can't say for certain the Iphone does this, but I know my droid does. When you go to add foods there is a little scan icon to the right. Sometimes you have to download barcode scanner to make use of it, but you just press it and scan :)
    And it does help with my meals. I just set all the ingredients aside and scan and enter :)