Weigh in every day? Every week?

Options
Hi folks,

Nice to meet all of you. I was wondering what folks opinions are on when to weigh in. I mean I guess its just "whatever works for you." I think I'll weigh every day just cause it makes me feel motivated.

Also, new here so if anyone wants to add me as a friend to help motivate one another that would be awesome :)

Replies

• Mark_on_a_Mission
    Mark_on_a_Mission Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, good question.......... although it is tempting to weight every day, I find once a week, same time, works best for most people. Your body weight fluctuates a lot depending on a lot of factors, and weighing every day can be demotivating if you see weight not coming off, or evening going on, but once a week it all evens out :)

Good luck with the journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This depends on you. If you weigh in every day you need to be prepared for natural weight fluctuations...this does mean that you will weigh in certain mornings and actually weigh more than you did the previous morning. Weight loss isn't a linear function. If you understand that and are good with it then weigh in daily...if not, it could become very discouraging very quickly and often causes people a lot of undo and unnecessary stress and anxiety...which further messes with their hormones which further messes with their weight loss.
  • kern11
    kern11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    every day
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I only log once a week on Saturday morning
  • gdljjj
    gdljjj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh everyday so that I do see the fluctuations. Weighing on a "low" day one week and a "high" day the next week would make me think I'm not doing something right, so I weigh daily and only record the new "low" on mfp. It is crazy to see 10 days with no new low and then a new low of 2.5 lbs overnight, but that's how much it fluctuates for me anyway. I just keep telling myself to be patient, it has to come off eventually, and it does :)
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh in every day after waking up. It's not for everyone if you're easily discouraged, but I find it interesting to see daily fluctuations in weight. I only really pay attention to trends every week or two to make sure the weight is at least declining.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    For me, weighing once a week works better for me mentally.
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I recently became obssesed with the scale and I use to weigh myself 3-4 times a day and get very discouraged at the numbers. Last week the scale showed me a gain of 6.6 pounds. I did not go on the scale for the rest of that week because I felt so down. This morning I went on it, and it's minus the 6.6 pounds. I feel alot better now, and I intend to hide that scale for an entire month. I am seriously going to focus on my measurements, and how my clothes fit going forward :).
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the scale only tells you so much. I weigh in once a week, but I also take all of my measurements as well, because sometimes the scale just doesnt more. And that's ok. You're not always going to see it go anywhere. I go more by how my clothes fit, my measurements, and how I feel. I just weigh in because it is nice to see my hard work and dedication go somewhere.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I weigh everyday but only record my weight when I dip lower then my previously recorded weight. I give myself a 10lb range (anywhere in the 130s), taking into account hormones and cycle, exercise, did I pig out the night before, etc. and modifying the day to reflect those changes.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the scale only tells you so much. I weigh in once a week, but I also take all of my measurements as well, because sometimes the scale just doesnt more. And that's ok. You're not always going to see it go anywhere. I go more by how my clothes fit, my measurements, and how I feel.

I agree. I weigh maybe every month to two months out of curiosity. It just doesn't tell me anything. I take measurements and go by photos.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and record it once a week.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day stresses me out if I see that the scale hasn't moved, or worse moved in the wrong direction. Once a week, same day on an empty stomach works for me
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Every Thursday morning
  • cthulhu_diet
    cthulhu_diet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I had not taken measurements outside of the size of my pants haha, so I think I'll do that. I'm perfectly OK with daily fluctuations, I plan to log my weight on here, but put it into an excel table as well (I had it plot a linear regression line and as long as that is pointing down I'm happy).
  • PrettyGurl2008
    PrettyGurl2008 Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello. I use to weigh in weekly. I'd get mad when I didn't see any progress so I weigh in once a month before breakfast.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly on a Friday morning before I head to the gym.
  • StephanieAZ82
    StephanieAZ82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh & make note of it on a calendar every day. It's not for everyone, especially if you get easily discouraged. I like to look at the trends and it keeps me motivated.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weight in weekly on Friday mornings before working out seems to work out well. plus then I have buffer before my next weigh in since weekends seem to be the hardest for me to focus on my eating.
  • Bemix
    Bemix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Wednesday morning, but I sneaks peaks now and then. My sneaks usually involve clothes, but my actual weigh-in does not. I look forward to my weigh-ins. :smiley: